Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2024 1:19:44 AM EDT
Looks like I will get to go to the New England 900 and burnout rivals event at the Stafford speedway, is anyone else going?  I've never been to CT before, so I figured I'd ask a few questions.  I will be staying in Manchester and will be driving to the Stafford speedway in Stafford Springs for the race and show.

Does anyone know what the security/metal detector situation is at the raceway?  I've read their rules, but I dont know how close they're checking.

I read another poster's thread about pizza in CT a couple weeks ago, and I am considering The Little Rendezvous,  or one of the many places in New Haven, such as Pepes, Modern, Sally's, etc.  I see the recommendation of Louis' Lunch and the Mark Twain house, is there anything else I should consider or make time for?

I see that one poster stated that it is possible to make some wrong turns in the New Haven area and end up in the wrong neighborhood.  How wrong neighborhood are we talking, like getting carjacked type area, or like an area the police dont even go.  Any other safety or security gotchas to any of the areas that I have mentioned? Or any roads to avoid with excessive tolls or anything of the like?
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#2]
There's a Pepe's in Manchester if you don't want to drive so far.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 12:48:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Andrapos:
A quick tour of the CT State Library museum (half hour, hour?) and you can check out a nice Colt firearms exhibit, the state charter/constitution, and lots of revolutionary-era trinkets (plus learn about the guy who invented the Frisbie).
CT State Library is also attached to the courthouse and is therefore a no-weapons facility with metal detectors and bag x-ray.

Check your PM box!
View Quote

Good info, thanks.  Replied PM.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 12:51:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MikeOD82:
There's a Pepe's in Manchester if you don't want to drive so far.
View Quote

Thanks, I noticed that several of the pizza joints have multiple locations, I didn't know if they were all the same quality or not.  A lot of the recommendations out there are for the New Haven area, so that is what I was going with.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 1:15:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By getboth:

Thanks, I noticed that several of the pizza joints have multiple locations, I didn't know if they were all the same quality or not.  A lot of the recommendations out there are for the New Haven area, so that is what I was going with.
View Quote

The franchises are not worth even considering!
Sally's -sold, not worth even considering the new one!
Pepe's in New Haven- ok but if your in New Haven, just go to West Haven and get the pizza from the masters.... Zuppardis !
Modern was good too but I don't think they are as good as they were

Don't worry about crime- if your not buying or selling drugs, you shouldn't have any issues.... In those pizza neighborhoods
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 12:02:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Lets goooo!
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 2:13:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JeepinMaxx:
Lets goooo!
View Quote

Hell yeah brother!  Are you attending?
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 9:26:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: edgephoto] [#8]
I live in Stafford. Security is fairly normal. They look in bags but otherwise just walk in past the ticket takers and a cop.

There is no good New Haven style pizza in Stafford. It greek deep dish style(not Chicago) in town. I Like Stafford House's pizza but New Haven style is hands down better.

There really is no need to drive to New Haven for pizza unless you want to say you have been to the original.  In Manchester there is a Pepe's and the franchises are run by family members. In Manchester, I like Wooster Street Pizza my wife I and son all like it better than Pepe's. https://www.randyswoosterstreetpizzact.com. You can't throw a rock in CT without hitting two pizza places. One is better than the next.

There is a CT specialty that is local to the Meriden area, The Steamed Cheeseburger. Sounds awful but let me tell you it is amazing. I have turned a ton of people on to them over the years. Ted's is the original but one of his employees branched out and opened his own pace that I prefer. LeMay's Steamed Cheeseburger. https://klamayssteamedcheeseburgers.com

One CT specialty you really ought to try while in town is Lobster Roll. You can't get them anywhere but here and a few other New England states. CT does them hot, on a toasted hot dog roll with hot butter poured on top. They are heaven. Other New England states do the lobster cold and toss it with mayo. Some places here offer both. The top places are by the shore. I would hit one of the famous places. Just google hot lobster roll CT and pick a place. I don't know of any bad ones.

The UCONN dairy bar is good for ice cream. The ice cream is made fresh. From milk to ice cream processing the school does it all.

If you want to take a drive into the boonies for ice cream there is a place in Pomfret call We-Lik-It. It is a farm and they make the ice cream the waffle cones are made to order. The cone is still warm when they hand you your ice cream. Just a warning, one scoop is the size of 3 anywhere else. https://we-li-kit.com

Mystic Seaport is cool, Lake Commence if you like amusement parks, lots of state parks, fishing charters, river and Long Island sound cruises.......plus races. Waterford Speedbowl runs Saturday nights
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 12:18:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I wish I could go for the burnout pit but i have to work.  I love following the Cleetus events!
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 1:32:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By edgephoto:
...snip...
View Quote

Thanks for the track security info, surprised they dont use metal detectors.

Good pizza info, I thought that might be the case.  I had Wooster street pizza bookmarked from one of your posts in another thread.  Definitely will try the steamed cheeseburger and probably the school diary ice cream.  Thanks for the good info.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 8:24:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By getboth:

View Quote

Went to Pepe's in Waterbury a while after they opened. Very over priced pizza that was OK but nothing special in fact there is better in Harwinton and Torrington! Never went to the NH location because I refuse to stand outside in line at 2:30 on a weekday! YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#12]
my nephew built a car for this event, they denied him entry, too full.

twin turbo V big block.

he shot a rod and melted the tires off last time.

hello fellow gun enthusiasts.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 12:21:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By cavgunner:

twin turbo V big block.

View Quote

That's a shame, it's been full for a while. First day races were great, burnouts today should be just as good think.

I've been to several of the recommendations in this thread since I've arrived, and they've all been good experiences.  Thanks to all the members who reached out to me in this thread or in PM.  Luckily I got here before all the airlines shut down because of their buggy software, hopefully they get it all ironed out before I try to fly home.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 8:23:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By cavgunner:

twin turbo V big block.

View Quote

Was it in a Volvo wagon?
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 8:25:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By edgephoto:
I live in Stafford. Security is fairly normal. They look in bags but otherwise just walk in past the ticket takers and a cop.

There is no good New Haven style pizza in Stafford. It greek deep dish style(not Chicago) in town. I Like Stafford House's pizza but New Haven style is hands down better.

There really is no need to drive to New Haven for pizza unless you want to say you have been to the original.  In Manchester there is a Pepe's and the franchises are run by family members. In Manchester, I like Wooster Street Pizza my wife I and son all like it better than Pepe's. https://www.randyswoosterstreetpizzact.com. You can't throw a rock in CT without hitting two pizza places. One is better than the next.

There is a CT specialty that is local to the Meriden area, The Steamed Cheeseburger. Sounds awful but let me tell you it is amazing. I have turned a ton of people on to them over the years. Ted's is the original but one of his employees branched out and opened his own pace that I prefer. LeMay's Steamed Cheeseburger. https://klamayssteamedcheeseburgers.com

One CT specialty you really ought to try while in town is Lobster Roll. You can't get them anywhere but here and a few other New England states. CT does them hot, on a toasted hot dog roll with hot butter poured on top. They are heaven. Other New England states do the lobster cold and toss it with mayo. Some places here offer both. The top places are by the shore. I would hit one of the famous places. Just google hot lobster roll CT and pick a place. I don't know of any bad ones.

The UCONN dairy bar is good for ice cream. The ice cream is made fresh. From milk to ice cream processing the school does it all.

If you want to take a drive into the boonies for ice cream there is a place in Pomfret call We-Lik-It. It is a farm and they make the ice cream the waffle cones are made to order. The cone is still warm when they hand you your ice cream. Just a warning, one scoop is the size of 3 anywhere else. https://we-li-kit.com

Mystic Seaport is cool, Lake Commence if you like amusement parks, lots of state parks, fishing charters, river and Long Island sound cruises.......plus races. Waterford Speedbowl runs Saturday nights
View Quote

Cousins Maine lobster trucks have events around new England. They have the CT style and Maine style rolls. I grabbed some in Orange last week
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 12:36:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Leon82:

Was it in a Volvo wagon?
View Quote

man I would love to see that

There's an 850 out there with an LS1 swap that pulled a 7 sec 1/4

Front wheel drive, put in an LSD, and a manual swap.

not uncommon for enthusiasts.
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 12:37:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Some full auto MP5 in this video

Cleet and Squirrel For President 2024 - Campaign Announcement
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top