Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2024 5:34:36 PM EDT
Did the law change?  I heard we can have an unpinned stock now?  Searched everywhere but no results. I told the guy he was bullshiting?    Anyone?
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 11:32:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By eyesoffire0:
Did the law change?  I heard we can have an unpinned stock now?  Searched everywhere but no results. I told the guy he was bullshiting?    Anyone?
View Quote

Not to my knowledge.  Of course, if you wanted to get technical, it was never a LAW.  The text of the statute defines an "assault firearm" as a discrete list of 37 makes and models, and copies thereof.  It ALSO says a firearm is an "assault firearm" if it is SUBSTANTIALLY IDENTICAL to one of those 37 types.  So what the hell does THAT mean?

Well, the NJ AG back in 1996 took it upon himself to "define" substantially identical in a memo to all state prosecutors (and, if this sounds like the executive branch usurping the powers of the legislature, then give yourself a gold star), and THIS is where our list of "evil features" comes from.

There was exactly one court challenge to this statute, by Evan Nappen in a Monmouth County superior court...  and he won.  The judge dismissed the charge, finding the law unconstitutionally vague.  It was after that ruling that the AG released his "substantially identical" memo...  and, to my knowledge, it hasn't been challenged since.

But we all adhere to the "only one evil feature" constraint, because no one wants to roll the dice to be the test case, where the prize for losing is a 7 year prison stint, loss of all firearms, and the "right" to possess any of them ever again.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 11:57:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tom488:

Not to my knowledge.  Of course, if you wanted to get technical, it was never a LAW.  The text of the statute defines an "assault firearm" as a discrete list of 37 makes and models, and copies thereof.  It ALSO says a firearm is an "assault firearm" if it is SUBSTANTIALLY IDENTICAL to one of those 37 types.  So what the hell does THAT mean?

Well, the NJ AG back in 1996 took it upon himself to "define" substantially identical in a memo to all state prosecutors (and, if this sounds like the executive branch usurping the powers of the legislature, then give yourself a gold star), and THIS is where our list of "evil features" comes from.

There was exactly one court challenge to this statute, by Evan Nappen in a Monmouth County superior court...  and he won.  The judge dismissed the charge, finding the law unconstitutionally vague.  It was after that ruling that the AG released his "substantially identical" memo...  and, to my knowledge, it hasn't been challenged since.

But we all adhere to the "only one evil feature" constraint, because no one wants to roll the dice to be the test case, where the prize for losing is a 7 year prison stint, loss of all firearms, and the "right" to possess any of them ever again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tom488:
Originally Posted By eyesoffire0:

The law has not changed. We're still waiting on District judge Sheridan's decision in the combined magazine and assault weapons ban cases. Perhaps your friend was referring to collapsible stocks on Others?

Tom488, thank you for the history lesson and attempting to clarify New Jersey's questionable laws.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 10:29:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 11:36:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Just put on a collapsible arm brace. Hey, it's not a stock, right?
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 7:43:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By AZ_Raptor:
Just put on a collapsible arm brace. Hey, it's not a stock, right?
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top