Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2024 11:53:17 AM EDT
Florida man here.
We are going to be in Colorado for a couple of weeks around November and would like to do some hunting. Elk would be great but are open to other game. No idea how Colorado regulations work but is it possible to purchase an OTC permit then head out to the field to hunt? I know there are unit restrictions and I assume all the good ones will be filled and accept that but what about the lesser units?
Other than the draws (too late now and too expensive) how does a non-resident go about doing a bit of hunting or am I pissing in the wind?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#1]
You can Unlimited licenses (Over the counter). November will put you into 2nd or 3rd rifle.

Here's the handbook.

https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesRegs/Brochure/BigGame/biggame.pdf

You're gonna be into the endeavor 800 bucks for otc out of state elk.

I'd decline that, especially knowing what the OTC units look like and how crazy they get.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:11:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kiltakaze] [#2]
If you’re only going to be here a couple weeks, you’re from FL, and this trip isn’t solely about hunting.Don’t go. I’m not trying to be an ass, but altitude sickness and hypoxia are alive and well. Any buddies I have coming from low elevation to hunt I have them come a week in advance just so we can get them acclimated. 2 weeks likely is not enough time if hunting isn’t your sole mission.

Add in the above mentioned cost for the tag let alone the cost for the gear you’ll need for a good cold weather hunt, unless you can rent or borrow it,  you’ll be in this for a couple grand per person. Keep in mind elk love the cold and they live at elevation, so you have to go to them typically. So be prepared to hike…a lot…at elevations you’re not accustomed to, and if you are successful, with a few trips of 80 lb hauls back and forth to vehicles
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:51:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rainmaker9] [#3]
IF you're successful, remember Colorado's not flat.
Your truck may be parked at 10000', but the elk may be 3 miles and 2000' above the pullout where you parked.

Elk quarters are heavy, it takes multiple trips to haul it back. Some GMUs want the head so they can test for CWD.

So 3-5 roundtrips adds up to 9-12 miles of up walking uphill (6000' elevation gain). And another 9-12 miles walking downhill with a 80lb pack (bring trekking poles to help your knees). Bring a friend or two to cut trips.

If your lucky, you may be able to find an outfitter that will pack out the elk on a horse...but it's a couple hundred dollars and you have to make reservations and have a satellite phone (or inreach) to call them. Most places in the mountains don't have cell service.

This is for wilderness hunts (no ATVs or electric bikes allowed). We hike up 14000' mountains or backpack/scout the wilderness areas all summer, and it's still a ballbuster.

You could also pay an outfitter tens of thousands of dollars and they'd do all the work.

You could also do OTC for pronghorn. But the OTC GMUs hunt spots are typically walk in only. We typically walk 12 miles when pronghorn hunting with my kids, but it's typically flat and much lower elevation (6000').

Here's this year tag prices

Elk
Nonresident bull/fishing combo* ............$803.39
Nonresident either-sex/fishing combo* ...$803.39
Nonresident cow/fishing combo* ...........$803.39
Nonresident youth/fishing combo* .........$122.91

Pronghorn
Nonresident adult/fishing combo*..........$481.52

DEER
Nonresident adult/fishing combo*..........$481.52

You also have to have a Nonresident small game license to get a big game tag which is another $100
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 5:08:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryM] [#4]
So hypothetically if we run across a herd of elk while out hiking could we go into town, get a couple of OTC tags then go back out and shoot one?
Yeah, I know. Highly unlikely and would involve a couple days with cooperative elk just hanging out in an available GMU but does it work that way?
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GaryM:
So hypothetically if we run across a herd of elk while out hiking could we go into town, get a couple of OTC tags then go back out and shoot one?
Yeah, I know. Highly unlikely and would involve a couple days with cooperative elk just hanging out in an available GMU but does it work that way?
View Quote

No.  Tags must be purchased before the season for that tag starts.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Got it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:30:20 PM EDT
[#7]
My local CPW office said to not bother with OTC tags

How about fishing?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#8]
We will be bringing fly and spinning rods. Some of the most beautiful streams I have ever seen up in those mountains.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By uncle_big_green:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Incorrect.  OTC tags can be purchased after the season begins.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:58:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pestilence12] [#10]
Originally Posted By Seydou:

View Quote

yeah, this, OTC can be bought over the counter at any point (unless something is new). As long as you have a small game and fishing license, you can get a large game OTC. I did that for deer when I was hunting for elk in an OTC unit years ago. Saw no elk, but lots of deer, so I went down to the CPW office and got an OTC deer tag, filled it that afternoon.

I haven't hunted an OTC unit for about a decade, so that information may be dated and I wouldn't be surprised if they changed it. Call your CPW office and ask.

OP, I will say, the only time I've been frustrated hunting (and shot at while hunting) was in OTC units. So brace yourself for that reality.

Also, fly fishing streams in November will be cold. But you probably already know that. Come with midge nymph patterns in hand
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:11:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: uncle_big_green] [#11]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

My info may have been dated since I haven't gone in at least 10 years. I'll check later.

Looked it up and I was wrong. Seydou is correct. Apologies.  That's what I get for not going for a while.  

@GaryM

https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesRegs/Brochure/BigGame/biggame.pdf
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:49:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys. It is a long shot for us but on the off chance it will be something to think about.
We do not have a particular location we will be in. Flexibility in plans is a very good thing but the area will be close to the southern border probably in the middle south of Durango,
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:22:41 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Yes, the Elk will just hang out and wait for you to go get a tag and come back and shoot them.....

They don't get that big by being stupid.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 99superduty:

Yes, the Elk will just hang out and wait for you to go get a tag and come back and shoot them.....

They don't get that big by being stupid.
View Quote

Thank you for the helpful advice.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Hypothetically, yes. But the likelihood is almost nil that you would 1) see that 2) be in a GMU that allows OTC 3) by the time you get the tag, get back, etc., no one has scared them off either by hunting or just being an idiot.

What you are more likely to find is elk on a bunch of private land next to a NF or BLM land that have not a care in the world about hunters cus they have an OnX subscription too and know they're safe.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Just get the small game hunting and fishing license.  You might get to pop a grouse.  You’re gonna be that far south, and want to get into some trout go into NM and fish the San Juan below Navajo dam.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top