Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2024 3:38:57 PM EDT
Is the cost of ammo and components substantially more in AK than in conus? Thinking about moving up there, but was curious what i needed to bring with me. Any other things you would recommend I bring from in conus instead of buying there?
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 11:48:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on how you are coming up.  Driving, ferry or flying. All have their limits on what and how you can bring 'stuff' up here.  Some common items can be had, but prices 'might' be a little high!!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 1:58:19 AM EDT
[#2]
"might"  I needed some primers.  I checked Sportsman's Warehouse; they had them in stock and gave a price on the web page.  I went in to purchase the primers and the price was a bit higher than what the web said.  I asked the clerk about it and he said "shipping" with a straight face.  Normally they would have matched the web price.  Maybe they don't do that anymore.

Most things cost more in AK.  Yes, there is a shipping component.  There is also a gouge factor especially when someone(S) has a monopoly.

Selection can be poor.  If you see it and want it you'd better buy it because it may not be in stock next time you're in the store.

Bullets and brass can be mailed USPS flat rate so you can "mail order".  Primers, powder, and ammo you either jump through hoops or buy what's on the shelf at the asking price.

As stated above, you can use the ferry (when it runs!), airline (50# of ammo, total weight), and drive (Canada usually 5K primers and/or ammo & about 18# of powder, unless you get a special permit).

Good luck with your move.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Another important factor would be where in the state you plan on living.

Going to be cheaper in Fairbanks or Anchorage than a remote village.

I’d say as a whole ammo is more expensive here. Especially since we can’t order ammo online since you can’t ship ammo to Alaska. But on the road system it’s not drastically higher than the lower 48.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 10:47:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys, that’s very helpful.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 11:54:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Things are wonderful in Southeast, cheap food,  housing and plentiful ammo and sunshine.
There have been weeks without produce and other groceries due to a missed barge. Ammo is hard to get sometimes and needs to be stocked up. There is no driving anywhere to get stuff. No roads out.

Plan ahead and do your homework. Many come up and go back the same year.
Have a good job well before you come up. You will not make it on $30 bucks an hour by yourself with housing.

Other than that, it's not a bad place to be. Better than living in a lot of places I have been, but there is no free ride.
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Alaska's a big place. Prices vary wildly.

If you're in the big three population areas, it won't be too bad. If you're in the bush, you will probably be shocked.

I was born and raised in the bush. I just bought a standard size bottle of generic Ranch dressing for $14.99

You might be moving?

Are you single? If not, make darn sure your SO is on board. Alaska in the winter can be rough on even the toughest of guys. It will be varying levels of hard for most women

Make sure you have a job already lined up before you head north. I'm dealing with a tenant right now who thought he could get a job after he was here. He was wrong.

If you're looking for a job in rural AK, and have a CDL, DM me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 10:21:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Atropian_Defector] [#7]
Here are the transportation limits traveling through Canada.

I’m not saying I had 140lbs of powder in a couple giant igloo coolers or not on one trip, but I’ve driven the Alcan 30 times and only had one “search” even with taking guns through every time.

Attachment Attached File

Basically, you can get 50,000 of anything through, and 14kg of powdee
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top