Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2024 2:50:50 AM EDT
Hello,
I'm finally getting into the NFA game and need several lowers engraved.  Who is the current go to for NFA engraving.  I live in anchorage but can drive out to the valley if needed.
Thank you
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 5:41:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MrRecon] [#1]
Northern Knives does a great job at NFA engraving. I have several done by them on AR's, an MP5, and an AK. I'm pretty sure they also did my short barrel shotgun. Turn around for me has usually been about a week, I imagine with tourist season it might be a little longer (their focus is on knives) but still quicker than shipping to the lower 48. I've recommended them to friends who were also pleased. Plus, they're genuinely good people.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:44:21 AM EDT
[#2]
If you can’t find anyone else in the valley this guy in Fairbanks is great. Last ones I did was “come back in an hour”. Want to say he offered a pretty steep discount on multiples. Also want to say you can ship them to him.

Attachment Attached File

* it has been a few years since I used him
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 3:05:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the info!
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 3:10:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MrRecon:
Northern Knives does a great job at NFA engraving. I have several done by them on AR's, an MP5, and an AK. I'm pretty sure they also did my short barrel shotgun. Turn around for me has usually been about a week, I imagine with tourist season it might be a little longer (their focus is on knives) but still quicker than shipping to the lower 48. I've recommended them to friends who were also pleased. Plus, they're genuinely good people.
View Quote

Is this the one in anchorage?   I’ve been in there several times and didn’t realize they held an FFL.  Am I wrong that an FFL is required for engraving firearms?
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 3:52:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 4:51:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AKFF:

Is this the one in anchorage?   I’ve been in there several times and didn’t realize they held an FFL.  Am I wrong that an FFL is required for engraving firearms?
View Quote

My understanding is if you stay with the piece being engraved, no FFL is needed, but in today's world, I wouldn't trust that.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 4:29:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MrRecon] [#8]
Originally Posted By AKFF:

View Quote

I don't know if an FFL is required to engrave firearms but regardless, they do have an FFL.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 8:50:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By FB41:

My understanding is if you stay with the piece being engraved, no FFL is needed, but in today's world, I wouldn't trust that.
View Quote

If they take money for the service then they are in the business. ATF says if you are in the business you need a license. https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/license-needed-engage-business-engraving-customizing-refinishing-or-repairing-firearms

Staying with it just means it doesn't need to go in their bound book.
Link Posted: 10/11/2024 10:56:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lemmethink223] [#10]
viper5243 did some nice work engraving some titanium for me.  He was in Chugiak, very reasonable price, and very fast turnaround.  
Don't know if he is still around, but I would go to him again.
Link Posted: 10/12/2024 3:22:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a $20 hand held engraving tool you can borrow for that nice crack head look if you want….
Link Posted: 10/12/2024 8:01:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a guy with a m 16 that had that. It was horrible. Crooked, and the dots were all over on the mag well.
Still asking 15k for it. Just crazy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top