Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2024 9:02:19 AM EDT
Anyone familiar with this area?  Was thinking of checking it out for some canoe camping and maybe some squirrel hunting.  (Even through I haven’t seen a squirrel on public land in 7 years I still try)

Can’t seem to find much info on it.  Seems like the fishing might not be all that great, still might be a good camping spot.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 7:34:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9divdoc] [#1]
I'll check it out ...not very far from the house and I have a buddy on a lake next door I will ask him about it...his son is a local guide.
Lots of folks kayak fish those lakes and do pretty well for crappie and bluegill...sounds like it might have decent population of smallies...
You've got the bike trails right there now...and Nichols is a pretty good beach.
2 years ago it had a Secci depth of 18ft...not too shabby...60ft deep...no muck....

Was gonna stop and get some pics for you on my way back from town but it started raining and hasn't let up...
Maybe tomorrow?
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 7:33:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I’ll probably do a camping trip here in late Sept…do some fishing and squirrel hunting.  

Looks like the lake isn’t a ‘no motor’ lake according to the boats I see on the satellite view.  Seems like there’s no unusual fishing regs.  

The Bittersweet lakes are my go-to canoe/camping area but kind of getting bored with them as it’s pretty much just largemouth bass and catch and release only.  Fishing is awesome, but catching the same fish over and over with no fish fry opportunities gets pointless.  Also knowing you’re not going to catch anything other than a bass is, meh.

Like these areas because campsites are reservable.  Nice not stressing about finding an open campsite like TTF or Willow.  In a canoe it’s not quite as easy to zip around scouting campsites.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 7:11:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9divdoc] [#3]
electric motors are ok
no horsepower limit on electric motors as far as I can see
have been busy last couple of days and have to take my dog in for surgery later this week
might get to take some pics tomorrow
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 5:39:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9divdoc] [#4]
Was just out there early this am
Very clear lake
Sandy bottom
Nice boat landing with small roll in dock
Secluded nothing but big woods all around
Fairly deep 50ft or so
Saw some smallies under the dock
bike trail now goes all the way to off of H to the access road
took some pics just got to get them out on the host site we use

Link Posted: 8/23/2024 10:45:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9divdoc] [#5]
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 8:11:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Lake looks beautiful, crystal clear water.  

Not sure how squirrel hunting will be up there but I’ll give it a try.  Haven’t seen a gray squirrel outside of an urban park or suburban backyard for at least 15 years now.
Link Posted: 9/10/2024 9:08:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rfb45colt] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JimEb:
Lake looks beautiful, crystal clear water.  

Not sure how squirrel hunting will be up there but I’ll give it a try.  Haven’t seen a gray squirrel outside of an urban park or suburban backyard for at least 15 years now.
View Quote

We have not only grey squirrels here in adundance, but we have all black ones too, in abundance. By "here" I mean the Nicolet National Forest and Vilas County in general. The bastards have chewed through the wire leads on the solar panels for our Tactacam cameras on our bear baits 3 times in last month. We had to switch to armored cables, and they still got at the plug end on the camera. Just yesterday, I welded 3" pieces of 1" square steel tubing to bottom of the camera "bear-boxes" where cables go in, to keep those rodent bastards off the plugs on the new armored cables we had to order.

We know it's squirrels doing it because they climb over the camera box to get to the solar panel wiring coming down from above, and we've gotten pictures of their tails as they go past the lens. My buddy was in the ladder stand over a bait, hunting over the weekend (bait hunters' season opened 9-4), and he saw an all black one on the camera box for about 30 minutes. Next day when replenishing bait, we discovered the chewed up plug.

Acorns are dropping now, so look for areas of oak trees and you'll find the squirrels.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top