Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2019 11:26:09 PM EDT
Any chance in the foreseeable future IL allowing rifles for deer?

Even if it's straight walled.  Just curious cause using shotgun slugs seem archaic.

@InterestedBystander
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 1:15:33 AM EDT
[#1]
i think I recall one bill either the last session or before but don't think it got out of committee. It might be possible but I dont see it on anyones radar to push for unless it rides along on another bill.  Maybe someone with more info will be along to provide more info.

ETA Passed the House but went nowhere in Senate this year HB2783
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=2783&GAID=15&DocTypeID=HB&LegId=119035&SessionID=108&GA=101

4/9/2019HouseThird Reading - Short Debate - Passed 100-010-001
 4/10/2019SenateArrive in Senate
 4/10/2019SenatePlaced on Calendar Order of First Reading
 4/10/2019SenateChief Senate Sponsor Sen. Brian W. Stewart
 4/10/2019SenateFirst Reading
 4/10/2019SenateReferred to Assignments
 4/24/2019SenateAssigned to Agriculture
 5/10/2019SenateRule 3-9(a) / Re-referred to Assignment
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 1:22:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I seriously doubt the movement...but, I was surprised when they started allowing crossbows for some.
We have bad people in charge....don't really expect them to make any parts of our lives any better.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Heck, even in Michigan, where deer hunting is religion, you can only use rifles north of a certain point in the state.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Heck, even in Michigan, where deer hunting is religion, you can only use rifles north of a certain point in the state.
View Quote
Yeah, it seems silly.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I seriously doubt the movement...but, I was surprised when they started allowing crossbows for some.
We have bad people in charge....don't really expect them to make any parts of our lives any better.
View Quote
All can use crossbows now.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 9:17:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Rifles it seems are too dangerous to use from an elevated stand where the bullet impacts the dirt and a less steep angle. But totally safe to shoot a Coyote while laying flat on the ground with a rifle in any caliber you desire.

Then I remember laws for hunting are made by people who hate guns have never hunted and don't know whit about much of anything outside the city of Chicago!
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 8:53:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I’m hoping they at least jump on board with the 350 Legend, either way you could still use a single shot ar pistol in 300 blk as well.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 4:39:52 PM EDT
[#8]
You can use a AR Pistol in 350 Legend now without a magazine or with a Bobsled single shot magazine.
If it is straight wall case there is no overall length restriction.

45-70 is ok in a single shot TC Encore pistol.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 10:06:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Rifles it seems are too dangerous to use from an elevated stand where the bullet impacts the dirt and a less steep angle. But totally safe to shoot a Coyote while laying flat on the ground with a rifle in any caliber you desire.

Then I remember laws for hunting are made by people who hate guns have never hunted and don't know whit about much of anything outside the city of Chicago!
View Quote
^ post covers it, but I'll add anyway ...

The 'rationale' (cough, gag) appears to be that a rifle projectile can travel too far past the target to be 'safe' to use for deer hunting. My source is an old arf thread where someone more knowledgeable than me had details from some soccer mom state representative who knows nothing about ballistics and less about physics. My point is this seems to be a culture issue not likely to change soon.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The 'rationale' (cough, gag) appears to be that a rifle projectile can travel too far past the target to be 'safe' to use for deer hunting. My source is an old arf thread where someone more knowledgeable than me had details from some soccer mom state representative who knows nothing about ballistics and less about physics. My point is this seems to be a culture issue not likely to change soon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention that modern magnum 12ga slugs travel at a higher velocity than the .45-70 and some other "high" power center fire cartridges!
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You can use a AR Pistol in 350 Legend now without a magazine or with a Bobsled single shot magazine.

View Quote
Interesting...

"For handguns, a bottleneck centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber or larger with a case length not exceeding 1.4 inches, or a straight-walled centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber or larger, both of which must be available as a factory load with the published ballistic tables of the manufacturer showing a capability of at least 500 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle. Note: There is no case length limit for straight-walled cartridges."
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Interesting...

"For handguns, a bottleneck centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber or larger with a case length not exceeding 1.4 inches, or a straight-walled centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber or larger, both of which must be available as a factory load with the published ballistic tables of the manufacturer showing a capability of at least 500 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle. Note: There is no case length limit for straight-walled cartridges."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting...

Doesn't the average .308 have like 2600 ft lbs of muzzle energy? So is the concern that bubba wil handload stupidly and just wound the animal? I don't get the requirement??

ETA: I'm interpreting this 'handgun' to be like a pistol AR - so rifle round. Is this incorrect?
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Doesn't the average .308 have like 2600 ft lbs of muzzle energy? So is the concern that bubba wil handload stupidly and just wound the animal? I don't get the requirement??

ETA: I'm interpreting this 'handgun' to be like a pistol AR - so rifle round. Is this incorrect?
View Quote
I'd guess the manufacturer requirement is so DNR doesnt have to guess...and so handloaders dont screw it up.

Yes, it appears an ar pistol qualifies under handgun.

Has anyone tried this route?
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 6:25:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Further info from internet sleuthing.

.300blk case length is less than 1.4", so it would qualify.  Also:

Mr. KRINK85 (real name omitted):
Using that cartridge in an AR pistol is legal for taking deer during the firearm seasons as long as the weapon is set up as a single-shot only. This can be accomplished by the use of a magazine with a single-shot follower installed or a sled. This particular follower does not allow any rounds to be seated within the magazine. It simply acts as a "sled" to hold the round until chambering.

Another way to do this is to use a lower specifically machined as a single-shot receiver. This part will have no provision for inserting a magazine. Most hunters will not elect to use this method simply because it's too single-use and permanent.

If you've modified the AR in one of the ways described above (to make it a true single shot), you do not have to remove or modify the gas tube in order for it to be used for deer hunting in IL. The law states that semi autos are illegal to use but that only pertains to loading. Automatic ejection of the spent cartridge makes no difference.

Note that you cannot legally use the AR pistol if all that you do is remove the gas tube. Even though removing the gas tube would render the pistol a single-shot, using the magazine to hold additional rounds is actually illegal. AR and bolt-action pistols must be set up as single-shots incapable of holding additional rounds in any on-board magazine. Internal or external box magazines are not legal for any pistols used in IL to hunt deer.

Thanks for your interest in Illinois deer hunting.

Paul Shelton, Manager

Wildlife Programs Section

IDNR
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 7:43:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes I have used a TC Encore with a SB brace in .300 Blackout for 5 years. I like the Encore for hunting, but when I needed a second BO - AR pistols are actually cheaper to build.

I have now added a AR .300BO pistol and have used it last 2 years.
I am very pleased with 300BO performance on deer.  I use Barnes 110 TAC TX rounds.  They are not the best shooting but accurate enough for deer at BO ranges.  I have yet to recover a bullet and have not yet had to use a second round.

I am sighted in to be point of aim on deer vitals to 240 yards with no hold over change.  But farthest shot so far has been 140 yards.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 8:12:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Great info.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I am really hoping the eventually allow pcrs...i have a lever 357 i would love to use
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I agree with Pistol Caliber rifles would be a great option especially for women and kids.  The biggest opponent to these changes - is.. the archery hunters.
This would kill too many of "their" deer.  Most hunters will only shoot 2-3 deer regardless of the means or season.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I built a 10.5" .300blk AR pistol and used it this past fall.
.300 meet OAL spec set by state and I used a Bobsled magazine block to render it single shot only.
of course three does walked under my stand together and I only had a single shot, but hey. what can you do?? BTW it is a blast
It was set up with a Holosun red dot w/acss reticle. I have a shorter .300 I think I will move the Holosun to and put a 1-? on the 10.5" for hunting.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 5:44:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I built a 10.5" .300blk AR pistol and used it this past fall.
.300 meet OAL spec set by state and I used a Bobsled magazine block to render it single shot only.
of course three does walked under my stand together and I only had a single shot, but hey. what can you do?? BTW it is a blast
It was set up with a Holosun red dot w/acss reticle. I have a shorter .300 I think I will move the Holosun to and put a 1-? on the 10.5" for hunting.
View Quote
Shoot the first the jump out of the stand and choke hold the second.  The third would of a heart attack.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 9:33:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you own one?
Edit-> UPer, by family and own 40 acres on Lake Sup.
.50 are welcome out to 1k yards
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top