Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2024 10:10:30 PM EDT
I'm looking to get the front strap of a 1911 checkered. Reached out to Stumpie's (local to me)  in Swansboro and they don't do it because of something to do with how long it takes to set up the mill. I don't really know of any other places in the area that might do it, does anybody have any recommendations?

I'd prefer not to send it off somewhere; it also looks as though some places like Clark's don't offer the service anymore.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 7:20:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I seem to recall a former workmate telling me he got some custom work done to his 1911 at Miller's Gun Shop in the outskirts of Jacksonville, and that included checkering.

I'm wondering what Stumpies was talking about setting up a machine.  I always thought gunsmiths used a type of comb file and guide to checker the front straps of 1911s.  Sounds like they just don't want to do it.  Probably isn't what they specialize in.  I think they prefer to build, customize, or refurbish rifles.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 5:59:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I can't find a business listing or anything for them so I'm not sure they're still in business.

I think I may just send this thing in to Evolution Armory to have the front strap checkered, ignition kit replaced, grip safety fitted, Kart barrel and bushing fitted, and have the slide/frame fit tightened.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 11:04:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AK-12:
Thanks, I can't find a business listing or anything for them so I'm not sure they're still in business.

I think I may just send this thing in to Evolution Armory to have the front strap checkered, ignition kit replaced, grip safety fitted, Kart barrel and bushing fitted, and have the slide/frame fit tightened.
View Quote

@AK-12

Drove by Miller's place in Haws Run.  Sign is about chipped/faded into nothing.  I figured he'd quit, but I looked his place up on Google for any reviews or closed notifications and found reviews from 3 weeks ago.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 11:27:29 PM EDT
[#4]
You will miss his place if you aren't looking for it.  It is basically a large shed in his back yard.  But he has been in business a long time.  I first heard of him almost 20 years ago.  You don't stay in business that long, working out of your back yard, except by word of mouth.  I have never seen him advertise anywhere but he frequently pops up on FFL searches if you buy guns online and need a local transfer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top