Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2024 10:35:47 AM EDT
Up 7% by 2025.  What’s left in my pocket?  Lint.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I need to roll out of this once great county.  Democrats and foreigners have destroyed it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:39:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fsj_man:
I need to roll out of this once great county.  Democrats and foreigners have destroyed it.
View Quote

I move to Vienna in 1963, I moved away from Vienna in 2010, and I ain't looked back.

I'm grateful for the time I had there when the DC region was a nice place to live, the people were more decent (still some good ones there), and you could actually drive somewhere in a reasonable amount of time.  It's a real shame.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:45:09 AM EDT
[#3]
FFX county 1.125/100, Northumberland County(Northern Neck) .61/100.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:47:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By glock23carry:
Up 7% by 2025.  What’s left in my pocket?  Lint.
View Quote

If you want to get even more pissed, look @ the sewer districts fees, yup they went up too.

FX is well on the way to becoming PG county, MD - Schools,neighborhoods, public safety etc.. I hope I'm wrong but the next Governor/AG is going to be a Demoncrat. The only positives on the horizon would be if Nick Freitas or Youngkin became a U.S. Senator.  The commies have a solid majority around here. ------> Exit VA, stage door right.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:25:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ambridge77] [#5]
I was moved to Ffx as a child in '78.

I always wanted to leave because of
population and density.  It was freer
in the '70s and early '80s.

They started closing and fencing off
free, fun outdoor places in the late '80s
and early '90s.

Mass immigration and leftist policies
did ruin Ffx Co.  I'm not anti-immigration,
but recognize new transplant voting patterns.

I never owned anything in Ffx Co. other
than vehicles, so I can't comment on house
taxation.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:48:54 AM EDT
[#6]
We've started the process to build and eventually move to WV. Our monthly escrow payment for insurance and taxes on a 2300sqft house on 54 acres is $210 LESS than what we pay for our 850sqft home on 1/10th of an acre in Alexandria.

When we went to the closing, I asked the loan officer if there was some sort of "land tax" that WV or Berkeley County would surprise us with, and he said "nope, WV's property tax rate is in the lowest 10% of the nation."

Cool.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 1:53:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: glock27bill] [#7]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:
We've started the process to build and eventually move to WV. Our monthly escrow payment for insurance and taxes on a 2300sqft house on 54 acres is $210 LESS than what we pay for our 850sqft home on 1/10th of an acre in Alexandria.

When we went to the closing, I asked the loan officer if there was some sort of "land tax" that WV or Berkeley County would surprise us with, and he said "nope, WV's property tax rate is in the lowest 10% of the nation."

Cool.
View Quote

Congrats!

I left a 600 ft² home on a 1/3 acre lot in Vienna for a 1,300 ft² home on 51 acres in central Virginia in 2010.  My current real estate taxes are less than half of what my small Vienna home's taxes were in 2010.  I have no idea what those Vienna taxes would be today.  Of course, I have to haul my trash to the drop off center.  But I'm 1/2 mile off the paved road, so government trash collection services would do me no good.  And when my neighbors and I see each other's grass getting tall, we fire up our mowers/tractors and just cut it for each other.  Up north, you'd have the police show up.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:38:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By glock27bill:

Congrats!

I left a 600 ft² home on a 1/3 acre lot in Vienna for a 1,300 ft² home on 51 acres in central Virginia in 2010.  My current real estate taxes are less than half of what my small Vienna home's taxes were in 2010.  I have no idea what those Vienna taxes would be today.  Of course, I have to haul my trash to the drop off center.  But I'm 1/2 mile off the paved road, so government trash collection services would do me no good.  And when my neighbors and I see each other's grass getting tall, we fire up our mowers/tractors and just cut it for each other.  Up north, you'd have the police show up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Cool.

Congrats!

Thank you. I'm making a sacrifice in my commute going from 25mi round trip to 140mi round trip, but that 12.5mi one way can sometimes take 45+ minutes in NoVA traffic. Getting our daughter out of the ACPS school system is important to us and having 54 acres of "playground" should be awesome for her. The wife is worried about "getting lonely" as she'll be going fully remote for work, but I think once we're out there and we all start relaxing a bit more as we stop rushing from point to point she'll feel better about it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:40:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: glock27bill] [#9]

The wife is worried about "getting lonely" as she'll be going fully remote for work...
View Quote

Seems to be the universal dynamic.

Man: "This is great!  No humans for miles!!!"
Woman: "I'm lonely."

In the early 80s I worked in Tysons Corner with a guy who lived west of Harper's Ferry, and he made that commute every day.  I've met men here who used to drive 100 miles one way to Northern Virginia for work when the lumber industry dried up.  When I first moved here I was at the end of my career and telecommuted.  I chose this location in part so I could go back north for meetings every once in a while, just so they would not forget who I am when it was time for layoffs.  But that drive was not an every day thing.

It's was interesting that I lived in Vienna for over 45 years, and was in my present location for 2 weeks when work jerked my chain to come back for a project.  I got as far as Gainesville, and thought to myself "I can't wait to get back home."  My relaxing rural property had become "home" in 2 weeks, while my prior residence of 47 years was now "that God forsaken place."  I'm sure you'll feel the same way.

Regarding your wife's position: I can understand.  I'm single and did not want to work from home...it's way too isolating.  Another reason I chose this location is my employer had an office about 40 miles away.  They gave me a corner I could occupy so I could get some human contact during the day.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:11:26 AM EDT
[#10]

In the early 80s I worked in Tysons Corner with a guy who lived west of Harper's Ferry, and he made that commute every day.  I've met men here who used to drive 100 miles one way to Northern Virginia for work when the lumber industry dried up.  When I first moved here I was at the end of my career and telecommuted.  I chose this location in part so I could go back north for meetings every once in a while, just so they would not forget who I am when it was time for layoffs.  But that drive was not an every day thing.

It's was interesting that I lived in Vienna for over 45 years, and was in my present location for 2 weeks when work jerked my chain to come back for a project.  I got as far as Gainesville, and thought to myself "I can't wait to get back home."  My relaxing rural property had become "home" in 2 weeks, while my prior residence of 47 years was now "that God forsaken place."  I'm sure you'll feel the same way.

Regarding your wife's position: I can understand.  I'm single and did not want to work from home...it's way too isolating.  Another reason I chose this location is my employer had an office about 40 miles away.  They gave me a corner I could occupy so I could get some human contact during the day.
View All Quotes

The wife is worried about "getting lonely" as she'll be going fully remote for work...

Yeah, I think she's also focusing on the M-F, where she'll be dropping the kiddo off at the bus stop or school, and then being solo all day until kiddo comes back home. What I think she'll eventually realize is the quiet M-F is nice when we're still going to have weekends where we go to a CF gym in Winchester and doing shopping stuff along with whatever activities the kid is in. Or weeknights when the kid has Girl scouts or something similar. She's a self-admitted introvert but does like having her small group of girlfriends at our gym that she does dinner with once a month.

It'll be a change, but better for us in the long run.

Also gonna get a dog or two...that should help
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:33:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nvcdl] [#11]

Congrats!

View Quote

Yup - I moved from a 1/2 acre 2000sq home in western Fairfax to 40acres w/ 2400sq ft home with a barn apartment and 6 car garage in Orange County and my taxes are half what I used to pay in Fairfax.  Paid less for my new place then what my old place sold for also.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:49:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By nvcdl:

Yup - I moved from a 1/2 acre 2000sq home in western Fairfax to 40acres w/ 2400sq ft home with a barn apartment and 6 car garage in Orange County and my taxes are half what I used to pay in Fairfax.  Paid less for my new place then what my old place sold for also.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By nvcdl:

Congrats!

We won't be paying off the new place with the old place, unfortunately, but we're only 41yo and are planning to work for a couple more decades regardless, so a new mortgage isn't a deal breaker.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:24:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Retired 2008. Left Prince William. Moved to Northern Neck. Built nice house on 75 acres. Got 3 shooting ranges!
Top Top