Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2024 10:49:33 PM EDT
Some buddies and I are going down to the Keys in July. None of us have been. We’re mainly just going down to sit on the beach and fish. Anything we should take time to do and things/places to avoid? We got the Airbnb in Vaca Key confirmed today.
Having spent plenty of time in Ft Myers, I am up to date with FL carry regulations and all that, but not sure how carrying while off shore fishing would work.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 7:37:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Get some decent snorkle gear and check out Sombereo Reef and Coffins Patch.

If you're going on a charter they may have other sites they prefer.

Link Posted: 6/9/2024 8:24:09 AM EDT
[#2]
There aren't many beaches in the keys. Some resorts have manmade beaches.

For me is all centered around fishing, lobstering and diving. Are you and your friends scuba certified?

Most carter boats won't let you bring a firearm onboard if asked but they are not searching your backpack either. If you must carry on a boat put it in a dry bag in your backpack.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By johnnydjr:
There aren't many beaches in the keys. Some resorts have manmade beaches.

For me is all centered around fishing, lobstering and diving. Are you and your friends scuba certified?

Most carter boats won't let you bring a firearm onboard if asked but they are not searching your backpack either. If you must carry on a boat put it in a dry bag in your backpack.
View Quote

None of us are certified.
We are setting aside a day or two to charter a boat. None of us have saltwater fished before though.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#4]
There is a head boat that runs out of Marathon called the Marathon Lady. She's 73 foot and when I rode her I caught lots of yellowtail snapper and grouper.  It's a great boat for beginners since they provide you everything you need and it doesn't cost a fortune like a charter.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:55:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: XM21Nick] [#5]
Feed the tarpons  at Robbie’s.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 4:05:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Kalashnikov762:
There is a head boat that runs out of Marathon called the Marathon Lady. She's 73 foot and when I rode her I caught lots of yellowtail snapper and grouper.  It's a great boat for beginners since they provide you everything you need and it doesn't cost a fortune like a charter.
View Quote

Not a bad choice and a fair price to get out on the reefs. the boat is long time family owned and some of the crew/mates are generally family or close friends.  They will definitely make effort to move to get on fish if a spot is slow. We always try to hit the night trip when we are down. Lots of great places to get food too. The bridges are always an option to fish from. Definitely suggest seeing Sombrero reef. Key west is worth a day trip to eat/drink and meander around, catching the sunset at Mallory square. Maybe rent a boat for a day or two and see what kind of fish you can pull off the patch reefs, or sight fish the weed patches or birds feeding. Charters are always an option but they are easily north of 1k but they arent as painful if you have 3 or more to put in on the trip to get out and maybe catch a once in a lifetime fish.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:51:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Good to know, I appreciate it.
What about spots to eat? We are planning on making our own meals at the condo for at least half the meals, but I’d love to hit up a couple good Cuban places.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Robbie’s to feed the tarpon
Key fisheries on marathon for food
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 1:53:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Grab some dinner at The Green Turtle Inn in Islamorada.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 5:30:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brianb860] [#10]
Originally Posted By zaitsev44:
Good to know, I appreciate it.
What about spots to eat? We are planning on making our own meals at the condo for at least half the meals, but I’d love to hit up a couple good Cuban places.
View Quote

Cuban Coffee Queen. They had a few locations in Key West last time I was there. It's been a while though.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 9:56:47 PM EDT
[#11]
La Nina on Marathon or Sunrise Cafe in Tavernier are the only two Cuban places I would recommend. They are not very formal places, so check their operating hours before driving over.

I try and stay out of Key West but there are a few good Cuban places there as well such as El Siboney.  

If you fly into Miami, try and stop by Versailles. It's pretty close to the Airport. Yeah, it's turned into a tourist trap, but it is still pretty good and you will likely enjoy the experience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top