Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2024 9:11:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Clarinath]
Scheel’s in Eau Claire had a huge stock of powder yesterday at good, though current, prices.

IMR 4895 for 61
#7 for 41
#5 for 38
WIN231 for 38
Lil Gun for 40

Link Posted: 5/29/2024 10:48:41 PM EDT
[#1]
But the prices are unbelievable, high. IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 7:41:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rfb45colt] [#2]
Originally Posted By Chipper44mag:
But the prices are unbelievable, high. IMHO.
View Quote

I agree. It's almost not worth it to reload 9mm "range" ammo anymore. HP self defense ammo, maybe. But it's advised by the so-called "experts" not to have reloads in your carry gun, but you can still try to duplicate expensive factory s.d. carry loads for practice.... and stockpile them for when SHTF,  when all those concerns about using reloads won't matter anyhow.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 7:45:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Clarinath:
Scheel’s in Eau Claire had a huge stock of powder yesterday at good, though current, prices.

IMR 4895 for 61
#7 for 41
#5 for 38
WIN231 for 38
Lil Gun for 40

View Quote

I've heard that Alliant stuff - Unique, Blue Dot, Red Dot etc - is now made of "unobtanium". Did you see any of those? Haven't seen any locally for a long time.
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 10:09:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kapusta] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rfb45colt:

I agree. It's almost not worth it to reload 9mm "range" ammo anymore. HP self defense ammo, maybe. But it's advised by the so-called "experts" not to have reloads in your carry gun, but you can still try to duplicate expensive factory s.d. carry loads for practice.... and stockpile them for when SHTF,  when all those concerns about using reloads won't matter anyhow.
View Quote

I'd be curious what kind of argument some over-zealous prosecutor would use in a court room regarding someone using reloads in a shooting case.  Seems like that would be like saying someone is guilty of a crime if they were involved in in an accident and their car had a rebuilt alternator.  Then again, I guess nothing has to make sense in a courtroom nowadays. (NY).
Link Posted: 5/30/2024 10:10:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Clarinath] [#5]
Nope, no Alliant.

Yes, the prices are stupid high.  It is what it is and they never come back down.

I carry my own reloads in my EDC.  The are not nuclear, unless I am carrying my 10mm.

It’s difficult to compare pricing for reloading and retail ammo, but I look at it this way.

I load to exacting specs, so I consider my reloads for pistol to be on par or higher than personal defense loaded ammo, which is not cheap.

I don’t load ball for practice, all of my bullets are the same as what I carry every day.

So I can’t compare my reloads to Winchester White box shitty dirty range ball ammo.  The quality of mine is much higher as are the components.

Often people claim that reloading isn’t worth it because WWB ammo or other shitty ball range ammo is so much cheaper.  But it is an apples to avocados argument.
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 9:23:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By rfb45colt:

I've heard that Alliant stuff - Unique, Blue Dot, Red Dot etc - is now made of "unobtanium". Did you see any of those? Haven't seen any locally for a long time.
View Quote

Back in March I was able to get 4 pounds of Unique for $38 each.
That was the last time I seen it.
That was at Runnings in Burlington, the old Big R.
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By kapusta:

I'd be curious what kind of argument some over-zealous prosecutor would use in a court room regarding someone using reloads in a shooting case.  Seems like that would be like saying someone is guilty of a crime if they were involved in in an accident and their car had a rebuilt alternator.  Then again, I guess nothing has to make sense in a courtroom nowadays. (NY).
View Quote

I guess it would be better to compare it to a souped-up engine with as much HP as you could squeeze from it instead of an alternator, and you were the cause of the accident by speeding 50mph over limit with your "hot rod", if you killed someone in a self defense shooting using your own "souped-up" bullets.  At least that's the way a zealous anti-gun prosecuter would portray it to a jury, with members who have no knowledge of these things. As if you were some sadist looking to inflict maximum pain & suffering, and you carried "nuclear" ammo in hopes of "blowing someone's lungs out" (thanks for the analogy Sniffy Joe). I know a few gun owners who think reloads all travel at the speed of light and explode on impact, doing more than average damage. Imagine what a juror who only knows guns from Hollywood would think? Will they believe that your only goal was to stop an attack as quikly as possible? Or you only used reloads to save money? I doubt it.

Why take the chance? All my 9mm carry guns are loaded with 147gr Hornady factory T.A.P. ammo, because I found a dozen boxes at a super great price at a flea market. Enough to fill the magazines (and a spares) for 4 different 9mm pistols, and some for testing POI. I have a chrony, and I have been able to match the velocity pretty close using Hornady 147gr XTPs for practice ammo. But I carry the factory stuff. In .45s I carry Winchester 185gr Silvertips in the compact Springfield, and 230gr Federal Hydrashocks in the full size Colt 1991A1. 10mm is a woods gun, so it's loaded with Underwood 200gr hard cast. My .45 Colt & .44 revolvers are used mostly with reloads. Some hot (in Rugers), some not so hot in SAA clones.    
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 9:51:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rfb45colt] [#8]
Nope, no Alliant.

Yes, the prices are stupid high.  It is what it is and they never come back down.

I carry my own reloads in my EDC.  The are not nuclear, unless I am carrying my 10mm.

It’s difficult to compare pricing for reloading and retail ammo, but I look at it this way.

I load to exacting specs, so I consider my reloads for pistol to be on par or higher than personal defense loaded ammo, which is not cheap.

I don’t load ball for practice, all of my bullets are the same as what I carry every day.

So I can’t compare my reloads to Winchester White box shitty dirty range ball ammo.  The quality of mine is much higher as are the components.

Often people claim that reloading isn’t worth it because WWB ammo or other shitty ball range ammo is so much cheaper.  But it is an apples to avocados argument.
View Quote

I hear ya, and I don't disagree. I'm just lazy. When I can buy factory "trigger-time" ammo for less than I can reload it (especially if I had to buy the brass too), I take the easy way out. Factory 9mm range ammo I mostly use Blazer Brass. Cleaner than WWB, and same cost, or less. I save my reloading time for rifle loads (I haven't bought factory hunting rifle ammo in 25 years). Or .45 Colt cowboy stuff, .44 mag hunting loads, & reloading shotgun shells. I reload all my own trap loads & bird hunting loads, even 00 buck I cast myself... except for the non-toxic waterfowl loads.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 10:59:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm in SoCal now but driving back home in 2 weeks.
Local guy has (5) 1 pound Unique available for $51 if anyone is interested.
Also has (1) 8 pound of Red Dot for $399
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 11:10:48 PM EDT
[#10]

IMR 4895 for 61
#7 for 41
#5 for 38
WIN231 for 38
Lil Gun for 40

View Quote

Whatcha doin in my city! lol
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By slowkota1:

Whatcha doin in my city! lol
View Quote

Buying all your powder!!!!!!

Hell I used to work there for about 6 year, I live 45 minutes NW.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 9:32:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Chukar:
I'm in SoCal now...
View Quote

Sorry to hear that, you have my deepest and most sincere sympathies...
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Scheels in Eau Claire has had supplies available through multiple shortages over the years.  While these prices are about in line with others, Scheels used to be slightly more expensive.  Used to drive down there (about 1.7 hours) on occasion when gas was cheaper.   Used to recognize their gun manager, but that was years ago.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 3:32:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BikerNut] [#14]
I have more powder and components than i'll ever be able to reload.

I have more new and reloaded ammo than I'll ever be able to shoot.

Link Posted: 6/9/2024 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By BikerNut:
I have more powder and components than i'll ever be able to reload.

I have more new and reloaded ammo than I'll ever be able to shoot.

View Quote

Me too....

But on the plus side, we don't need worry about running out if/when SHTF. If we die before SHTF, our kids will thank us some day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top