Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2024 10:06:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveM4P99]
I know a lot of us have fixed mag AR pistols, on our permits.

But Monroe County, who is usually very good about permits, seem to be stopping it.

Any new pistol purchase, the FFL needs to fill out this form and sign it. Otherwise the entire amendment goes to a special investigator to make sure the gun is legal.

Now my question is, how can they say a "lower receiver" can't be registered, but then right on the form, you can check "frame only" ? They are the same thing.

Also, the new PL 265.00 (03) clearly defines a "lower receiver" (a stand alone "frame" with no barrel) as a "firearm" in subsection (f) :

"any other weapon that is not otherwise defined
in this section containing any component that provides housing or a
structure designed to hold or integrate any fire control component that
is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by
action of explosive."

This is the exact definition of a lower receiver or frame. A "housing" that holds a "fire control group" (the trigger components). Hence making a lower receiver a firearm (which is the intent of the law, to make lower receivers into firearms).

So clearly they are trying to stop registering of AR lowers...but since a lower = a frame, they can't really.

Now side question...

So NY now defines lowers as firearms (done to ban Others as we know)...but this also makes it legal to register lowers on a pistol permit, as firearms are legal if on a permit.

So...if you have a lower on a pistol permit, it is a registered firearm, and hence legal as an "other".
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#1]
No fire control component is designed to expel a projectile.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:43:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveM4P99] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Abom:
No fire control component is designed to expel a projectile.
View Quote

Ha also true. Incorrectly written law.

So does that mean they didn't actually outlaw Others (brace and VFG)...because they didn't actually define lower receivers  properly? They were trying to classify lower receivers as firearms right? Firearms as in PL400 firearms that are banned unless exempt.

And either way...I guess I see Monroe county's point...their hands are a bit tied. Something like the Thompson contender transfers as a handgun...an AR lower transfers as an other...so it technically can't go onto a pistol permit unless it is transferred as a pistol right from the start.

So you have to find an FFL that would do that for you...which is what the Monroe county sheriff suggested when I called to ask. Said that's totally fine...but a stripped lower can't be added to a permit unless an FFL transfers to you as a pistol.

This whole licensing scheme and AWB just have to get tossed out. How can a constitutional right vary so wildly between states? Scotus...come on.
Top Top