Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2024 6:40:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kitwulfen]
My dad's a retired CA LEO, and has been a Glock guy for as long as I can remember.  He's got a 23 and a 27, but he's currently carrying an S&W Shield that he just hasn't been happy with.

I know he wants a 43X, but he can't get it as (from what I understand) it's off-roster.  He'd have to buy one from an active LEO (who could buy it new) or someone who just moved to CA with one in a private party sale, and it looks like people want like 3x the MSRP for that sort of thing.  But in researching this I saw some other people talking about interstate intrafamily transfers being another way to get one.

Could I buy one here in WV as a Christmas gift and send it to his local FFL for the transfer?  Does the intra-family thing work child to parent and not just parent to child?

ETA: This thread seems to indicate the law works like I think it does.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 12:12:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Could I buy one here in WV as a Christmas gift and send it to his local FFL for the transfer?
View Quote
Yes
Does the intra-family thing work child to parent and not just parent to child?
View Quote
Yes

Contact his local FFL first to make sure they understand the intrafamilial transfer exemption and they will accept the transfer. Expect them to tack on their transfer fees (currently unlimited, usually between $25 to $150).

Nice gift, hope your dad enjoys it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 12:58:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By leelaw:
Yes  Yes

Contact his local FFL first to make sure they understand the intrafamilial transfer exemption and they will accept the transfer. Expect them to tack on their transfer fees (currently unlimited, usually between $25 to $150).

Nice gift, hope your dad enjoys it.
View Quote

Thanks.  I'll have to talk to one of our old family friends, someone else he worked with in the Sheriff's Department, and see if he knows if my dad has a preferred FFL in the area - then call and see if they understand the exemption.  Could ask my dad, but that'd spoil the surprise, and he'd probably tell me not to waste my money on him.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe give Proforce a call.  Depending on where he's at, it might be worth a trip to Brea.

https://estore.proforceonline.com/Products/ProductPreview/ux4350302ab/glock-43x-9mm-ameriglo-bold-sights-10-rounds?PromoData=ProductPreview%7C%20
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 11:05:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By kitwulfen:
My dad's a retired CA LEO, and has been a Glock guy for as long as I can remember.  He's got a 23 and a 27, but he's currently carrying an S&W Shield that he just hasn't been happy with.

I know he wants a 43X, but he can't get it as (from what I understand) it's off-roster.  He'd have to buy one from an active LEO (who could buy it new) or someone who just moved to CA with one in a private party sale, and it looks like people want like 3x the MSRP for that sort of thing.  But in researching this I saw some other people talking about interstate intrafamily transfers being another way to get one.

Could I buy one here in WV as a Christmas gift and send it to his local FFL for the transfer?  Does the intra-family thing work child to parent and not just parent to child?

ETA: This thread seems to indicate the law works like I think it does.\
View Quote
Where does your Dad live? I'm a FFL and can help.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By medicdubs:
View Quote

San Luis Obispo.  Family friend recommended someone to me up in Templeton, another guy that also retired from the SLO Sheriff's office and now has an FFL.  I haven't spoken with him yet to see how up to speed he is on the relevant laws, though.  If he's not willing then I could certainly use other options.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 5:03:23 PM EDT
[#6]

San Luis Obispo.  Family friend recommended someone to me up in Templeton, another guy that also retired from the SLO Sheriff's office and now has an FFL.  I haven't spoken with him yet to see how up to speed he is on the relevant laws, though.  If he's not willing then I could certainly use other options.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By medicdubs:

I would recommend Four Season's Outfitters in SLO.  If Templeton is your preference, Rooster's Firearms.  I've purchased from and transferred at both stores.  

Private FFLs might be cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I'm in LA County, a bit too far
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 8:45:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By BroadSideOfADime:

I would recommend Four Season's Outfitters in SLO.  If Templeton is your preference, Rooster's Firearms.  I've purchased from and transferred at both stores.  

Private FFLs might be cheaper.
View Quote

Thanks.  Rooster's is what was recommended to me, but I'll keep Four Season's in my back pocket if that doesn't work.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 12:56:28 PM EDT
[#9]

ETA: This thread seems to indicate the law works like I think it does.
View Quote

Yes.

He just needs to find an FFL familiar with that process
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 10:43:33 PM EDT
[#10]
How did that go?  I’m about to do the same with my son.  I’m going buy him a  G 48mos in NY and ship to a FFL in Livermore.  He said that he spoke to the FFL and he could do the transfer.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 3:48:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Shouldn't be a problem.  Keep it a gift and not a straw purchase and you should be fine.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By secamp32:
How did that go?  I’m about to do the same with my son.  I’m going buy him a  G 48mos in NY and ship to a FFL in Livermore.  He said that he spoke to the FFL and he could do the transfer.
View Quote

Haven't gotten the ball rolling yet, been pretty busy these last couple months.  Figuring I'll do it sometime in October.  It's really meant to be a Christmas gift, but waiting till after the election could end up with crazy panic prices depending on how things go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top