Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2024 10:29:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ltklein]
While I do my own service on my 2001 Trane XB1000 HVAC systems (capacitors, fans, system boards, flame detectors and cleaning), I find myself in need of a pro.

Does anyone have an recommendations on a company that will troubleshoot and service my unit without the whole "replace the units" or the "R22 isn't being made and will cost you lot$" speech.  I want mine repaired and it costs what it costs...

Sure, I can take a soft sell but sending out a sales guy instead of a technician isn't something I have time for.

For the curious, I have 2 units.  One of them is putting out 79 degree air until the evaporator freezes up and it puts out no air after about 3 hours.  So I need pressures checked, an R22 top-off or maybe I have a weak compressor.  Anyway - I'm a "service what I have" owner...not a rip and replace.   At my age there is zero chance I can financially benefit from replacing both units.

If you had a repair and a good experience please let me know...  Or someone doing work on the side...

Thanks!

ETA: 2001 instead of 2021 units
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 11:16:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Joe_Blacke] [#1]
AC concepts Mechanical

Brian is the best!  He is the only one I use now. I found him after I had used a company whose owner had been a member of a local gun board. That guy had lied to me about warranty coverage, destroyed my property, left my system in a non functional state and then tried to lien my house even though I had paid him in full for his work. Brian came in, explained that all the work the other guy did was supposed to be warranty work as my particular system had a 15 year warranty on key parts.  Brian fixed the real problem my system had, fixed the crappy repair work the first guy did and did it all under warranty.

I’ve got 2 units that are almost 20 years old. His team did the checkup in April. They explicitly told me that my units are still well within the performance ranges they expect and I don’t need to replace them. They replaced some leaking valves and topped off the refrigerant without even trying to get me to replace the system. They did offer to get me a quote if I ever decided to replace these systems.

I’ve never found an HVAC guy more honest than Brian and his team.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:37:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for that response, Joe...that's quite a recommendation.

Out of a half dozen that my wife received, there's another standout recommendation which is Thor's A/C and heating.

I'll post up who I use and what my experience is.

It will be a bit as I'm milking this out some.  A/C techs don't do their best work on 114 degree days, especially in the attic!

Link Posted: 7/3/2024 1:26:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Good lord.  Almost 25 summers on those units and you still aren’t looking to replace them?  If you have a frozen evap and your airflow is good then you have a leak.  If it’s in the coil, you might get by with a gas n go… but noone is fixing a leaky evaporator that’s 2 decades old.  Even R22 is 3k a jug, even the supply house has any, that is.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 5:47:13 PM EDT
[#4]
UPDATE:  

Went with Joe_Blacke's recommendation and very satisfied.  They came out the same day I called. Unit was fully checked out and recharged and has been working great for 2 weeks now.

They also checked and serviced my other unit - no issues.

If I wanted to nit pick, I would say a bit overcharged...paid by the hr but he spent 40 minutes in the truck writing up the invoice.  But didn't haggle and paid $1,600.  Same song that R22 is mega-expensive.  Though the unit holds 4 1/2 lbs max and 30lbs is available for around $400 (there's another thread in GD on this subject).

It is what it is and they have it and I don't...

I liked that we talked and agreed on an approach. He gave me his opinion on what he would do, which matched mine.  Basically he did a leak check, charged it and we'll see how long it holds.  3 weeks or 3 years.

The repair/replace discussion was low key.  Was quoted $12,999 for a replacement 5-ton but they also let me know they don't do the rip and replace themselves.

So I got exactly what I asked for and I know the risks.  Seriously, it's a difference between putting an engine into your car or buying new.  I tend repair things and run them forever...

He said if the evaporator were to go, it would be a $3,500 fix.  Great...so that plus the $1,600 a fraction of the replacement.  

So we shall see...

I would recommend them...

We had called another shop and they were ridiculous.  They said they could be over the next day.  I told them I had an R22 unit and I was looking for a repair.  They said fine.    I pressed a bit further and then they said "We don't have R22...it's thousands of dollars for us to stock and we just don't use it".   So they wanted to come out without any intention of fixing it (unless it was a cap or something).

Anyway..thanks Joe Blacke...I'm happy...

This thread is now complete...
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Glad it worked out for you.
Top Top