Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2024 4:54:17 PM EDT
Gentlemen, My better half and I are looking at houses in the Hickory area. any thoughts, good bad or indifferent. Both retired, and solid red voters. TIA
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 6:47:22 PM EDT
[#1]
A budget number would probably help.

Acreage, subdivision, lake, etc.?
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Wife and I live in the Hickory area (Claremont zip code) and we love it here so far.

"Hickory Area" has a lot of different, diverse zones. I recommend a visit for a few days to see the area.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 4:49:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Brundoggie:
Wife and I live in the Hickory area (Claremont zip code) and we love it here so far.

"Hickory Area" has a lot of different, diverse zones. I recommend a visit for a few days to see the area.
View Quote

What he said! I live in Morganton, have always said Hickory has better bang for your buck housing.

They are trying /and succeeding in marketing this area as a retirement destination, I am almost priced out
as a local, but you will probably like Hickory.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 6:28:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Captain92:

What he said! I live in Morganton, have always said Hickory has better bang for your buck housing.

They are trying /and succeeding in marketing this area as a retirement destination, I am almost priced out
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

My Morganton cabin will be done by June 28th. I can't wait to bail out of shitty Tampa.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 11:11:16 PM EDT
[#5]

View All Quotes

Funny but when the wife and I started seriously looking Morganton was one of our prime areas of interest. (love Root and Vine)

Decided on Hickory b/c  the house and property were everything we were looking for in our price range.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 11:14:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Duck_Hunt] [#6]
In Catawba county, I’d be looking in Conover, Claremont or Catawba if you want to be within city limits. Demographics wise in a retirement setting I’d say Conover  would be in first place.   Hickory is growing and converting old factories into breweries etc, but there’s plenty of riff raff in certain areas.

Outside of the CL’s I’d be looking north of i40 above conover, Claremont & Catawba. Think hwy16 corridor.  If further west towards hickory I’d consider crossing the lake on hwy 127 into Alexander county/Bethlehem area.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 1:19:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brundoggie] [#7]
Originally Posted By Duck_Hunt:
In Catawba county, I’d be looking in Conover, Claremont or Catawba if you want to be within city limits. Demographics wise in a retirement setting I’d say Conover  would be in first place.   Hickory is growing and converting old factories into breweries etc, but there’s plenty of riff raff in certain areas.

Outside of the CL’s I’d be looking north of i40 above conover, Claremont & Catawba. Think hwy16 corridor.  If further west towards hickory I’d consider crossing the lake on hwy 127 into Alexander county/Bethlehem area.
View Quote

My AO, just south of Riverbend Park.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 on Root and Vine. Try Happy Valley Brewery west of Lenoir On 268.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 9:34:18 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

I go through there often. Sometimes I take 16 home as opposed to 40.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 9:46:02 PM EDT
[#10]

View All Quotes

My road is just north of the Oxford Fire Station.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

@Brundoggie. Sent you a pm.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top