Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2024 9:18:27 PM EDT
So if what I've read is correct you need a hunter safety course before you can get a GA hunting license and there are multiple places online that offer hunter safety courses that range from $50 to $10 and they all meet the requirements set by the state??

I also read that you don't need a hunting license to hunt your own property but you do have to report what you harvest.  How do report the deer if you don't have to go to a check station. Do you report it online or something? Don't they weigh harvested deer here and take samples for testing?

I admit I'm confused by what is required.  Can someone explain the process and what's required? Specifically to hunt deer legally on your own property and on public land?
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 9:48:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: southerncross] [#1]
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 1:52:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I found some more information and it says no hunting license needed on your own property but you have to download a harvest record and record any deer killed on it.  That said, I am going to probably go the online hunter safety course (one of the cheaper ones lol) and get a hunting license anyway.  The money goes to a good cause and while there's no public land near me it's good to have a license just in case.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 10:02:28 PM EDT
[#3]
The harvest record is free in the app. You’re right about land owners not needing a license. I hunt my own land, but have a license because I hunt other places.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 10:47:55 PM EDT
[#4]
When I did hunter safety, this was about twenty years ago, I took some class online, then had to show up to a specific location(Academy in Athens), where a DNR officer conducted a test. When you passed the test, he gave you your hunters ed card. Nobody failed. It used to be on the hunting license you’d write in your hunters Ed number.  Now you just put it on the app and it’s saved forever.

If it’s your land, meaning you’re the landowner, not the person leasing, then you don’t need a license. You still need to download the harvest record. All it’s for is measuring taken game in each county, and this helps for future harvest limits, or doe day schedules.
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#5]
We own the land, it's official, so all we need now is the harvest record.  We'll likely get the hunter safety and hunting license but may not be this year.  Becoming land owners has had a rockier start than expected.
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 4:57:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 7:59:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Where did you buy land at?
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By telsonman:
Where did you buy land at?
View Quote

We bought in Barrow county, near Statham.  From where we live now it's close enough for us to get there within 30 minutes if traffic is light and has all the necessities (electric, water, internet) for us to build a "forever house" at some point.
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By southerncross:

Good deal. Congratulations.
View Quote

Thank you 😊
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 9:01:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Brandi:

We bought in Barrow county, near Statham.  From where we live now it's close enough for us to get there within 30 minutes if traffic is light and has all the necessities (electric, water, internet) for us to build a "forever house" at some point.
View Quote

I hunt my buddy’s backyard in Auburn
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 2:48:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brandi] [#11]
Originally Posted By Luny421:

I hunt my buddy’s backyard in Auburn
View Quote

As I understand the law I can bow hunt my backyard here but sure as I did an arrowed deer would jump a fence or run into some Gwinnett county Greenpeace activists yard and die prompting said eco-warrior to call in a murder ending with SWAT breaking in my door and putting me in cuffs until they figure out that Windsong Flowersniffer was talking about a legally shot deer. I don't have time for that. That's not to say I haven't considered it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#12]

As I understand the law I can bow hunt my backyard here but sure as I did an arrowed deer would jump a fence or run into some Gwinnett county Greenpeace activists yard and die prompting said eco-warrior to call in a murder ending with SWAT breaking in my door and putting me in cuffs until they figure out that Windsong Flowersniffer was talking about a legally shot deer. I don't have time for that. That's not to say I haven't considered it.
View Quote

Yeah, Gwinnett is a different animal (no pun intended). I have a friend that lives in Smoke Rise in Dekalb and he bow hunts his back yard and I know a couple folks that do so in Dacula. I’ve never been into bow hunting. But in Barrow the firearms hunting laws loosen up. My buddy in Auburn is in a neighborhood and I can legally hunt in his backyard. I do so suppressed out of consideration for his neighbors. I just have until his wife is out of town for work because feelings.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 3:07:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Yeah, Gwinnett is a different animal (no pun intended). I have a friend that lives in Smoke Rise in Dekalb and he bow hunts his back yard and I know a couple folks that do so in Dacula. I’ve never been into bow hunting. But in Barrow the firearms hunting laws loosen up. My buddy in Auburn is in a neighborhood and I can legally hunt in his backyard. I do so suppressed out of consideration for his neighbors. I just have until his wife is out of town for work because feelings.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

My nephew bow hunts in my sisters neighborhood. It is inside the perimeter near Northside hospital, very populated area but enough habitat to support a lot of deer. He has taken a couple of very nice bucks there on a little piece of land right alongside Hwy 400. With the modern broadheads and a well placed shot deer won't run very far because they bleed out so quick.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 3:49:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: southerncross] [#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top