Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2024 4:21:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CJ7365]
Getting ready to roll that way, never been to the North Rim, just want to know how the road is, how steep is the grade? Driving Class A pulling Jeep. Have traveled numerous steep grade 6%.

If anyone is going to be up that way, I'll be there for the next week.

Any must do's up there, obviously going to go to the north rim, but have my jeep any good sight seeing forest service roads?
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 2:26:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: freeride21a] [#1]
This is the worst part.. and it is not that bad really, but ive also never done it in anything but a SUV.

~2000ft over 10 mi
Attachment Attached File

I internet mathed.. about a 4% grade average.
Attachment Attached File

Now.. for the rest.

North Rim is BEST rim!!!!  Dont forget to stop at Jacob Lake Inn for cookies.

Enjoy the Bison just after you enter the park, that is where they usually hang out.

North rim is SOOOO much less crowded.  Views are spectacular as always.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#2]
After going to the North Rim you will never want to go to the South Side again, unless you like crowds.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#3]
That road isn't that bad. The area Freeride pointed out has one or two tight corners, and the rest is just regular road.

We did it a few years ago pulling our smaller trailer (~24ft) and the worst part was the wind.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 5:33:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By azcheesehead:
After going to the North Rim you will never want to go to the South Side again, unless you like crowds.
View Quote

This X 100!

I have only been once in 2003 and it was amazing. We stayed in the cabins at Jacob Lake.  Very “rustic”.  

Anyone I talk to about going to GC I tell them to go to the north rim if they think they’ll only go once. Or, go to the south rim then the north rim.

Enjoy & cheers!

Jester
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 7:45:11 PM EDT
[#5]
IIRC the north rim and the south rim are 17 miles apart as the crow flies, but if you drive it, it is about 200 miles.
Link Posted: 8/11/2024 9:53:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By azcheesehead:
IIRC the north rim and the south rim are 17 miles apart as the crow flies, but if you drive it, it is about 200 miles.
View Quote

but the last bit of that drive is freaking worth it.. the red cliffs.  Also, if you turn right at the split where 89a goes towards marble and 89 to page, you are not far from horseshoe bend(20mi) and antelope canyon(27mi).
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By freeride21a:
This is the worst part.. and it is not that bad really, but ive also never done it in anything but a SUV.

~2000ft over 10 mi
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21179/grade2_jpg-3291522.JPG

I internet mathed.. about a 4% grade average.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21179/grade_jpg-3291523.JPG

Now.. for the rest.

North Rim is BEST rim!!!!  Dont forget to stop at Jacob Lake Inn for cookies.

Enjoy the Bison just after you enter the park, that is where they usually hang out.

North rim is SOOOO much less crowded.  Views are spectacular as always.
View Quote

Thanks for this, we are at Holbrook and leaving today for Jacob Lake.

Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By CJ7365:

Thanks for the info
View Quote

Pix!  Lots & lots of pix!  If you have time, go to Point Sublime. Aptly named and worth the trip. Go there last. Everything else blows in comparison.
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 6:16:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Jester_ISB:

Pix!  Lots & lots of pix!  If you have time, go to Point Sublime. Aptly named and worth the trip. Go there last. Everything else blows in comparison.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jester_ISB:
Originally Posted By CJ7365:

Thanks for the info

I dunno, i was pretty sublime here at the North Rim Lodge.  It was horrible I tell ya!  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/12/2024 11:23:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Beretta_Jerry] [#10]
The Navajo bridge has a little museum, and you can walk across the old one. Really cool if you're into that. Edit: Sometimes condors roost on the trusses of the bridge

Also, house rock road has a condor viewing area a couple miles up the road. It's gravel, so not ideal if you have an rv. Condors not guaranteed to be there. Their range is hundreds of miles. You can see all the poop that is staining the cliff face though.

Condors also hang out on the bridge. When we went up, it was September. Didn't see any unfortunately.
Link Posted: 8/13/2024 10:46:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Herr at Jacob Lake, internet is intermittent, I'll try to post some pics, here are a few of going through Marble canyon.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Will be going to the N rim later today.
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#12]
F’n amazing!

Freeride, I have a near identical pic from the lodge but with a beer. And just me, the Mrs was not in that pic. Other pix are great too. That was an amazing trip!  Except we broke a rear shock and couldn’t find a replacement in PHX before heading back. Nothing like 1k miles with 3 shocks!  Good times. I am jealous y’all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top