Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2024 4:59:42 PM EDT
We recently purchased a 2nd home in the East Valley. We are planning on driving our car out and leaving it at the house so we have one there when visiting.
I guess we need to register it in AZ since it will not be going back to PA?
We won't be moving permanently for 3 yrs.
I guess as long as we own a home there we can register it there?
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 5:04:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah you’re not the first snowbirds to move out here.

Register it with mvd and set the address as your place in PA
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe if you are here less than 6 months a year you can keep your primary residence in Pa.   We have very expensive car registration based on the value of your vehicle(wife’s Yukon is just under $1000 a year).  Insurance may also go up.   If it were me and it were cheaper in my home state, I would keep it there until the permanent move
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 9:57:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 6:59:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_Raptor] [#4]
I believe that the major concern would be how the insurance company would consider where your car is principly garaged. You may have to get a different insurance company based on your current coverage.

I came from NJ and had a car here and back east.  NJ Mfg Ins Co dropped me when they found out my AZ car was kept in AZ, even despite still bearing a NJ registration and owning both homes.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AZ_Raptor:
I believe that the major concern would be how the insurance company would consider where your car is principly garaged. You may have to get a different insurance company based on your current coverage.

I came from NJ and had a car here and back east.  NJ Mfg Ins Co dropped me when they found out my AZ car was kept in AZ, even despite still bearing a NJ registration and owning both homes.
View Quote

Yeah,  wife needs to run it by the ins co and see what they say. I think they are going to be the determining factor.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 10:50:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LS1POWERED:
I believe if you are here less than 6 months a year you can keep your primary residence in Pa.   We have very expensive car registration based on the value of your vehicle(wife's Yukon is just under $1000 a year).  Insurance may also go up.   If it were me and it were cheaper in my home state, I would keep it there until the permanent move
View Quote
But if it's old it's cheap as hell. I just registered my 2001 Suburban for 5 years for $77.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, so I will give you the straight scoop.  

If your primary residence is PA, you can keep your PA registration.  28-2321 which would require you to have Arizona Registration only applies if you are using your vehicle as a commercial conveyance or anything to that effect.  

Once you move to Arizona, you have 10 days to switch it all over.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#8]
There’s a whole specialization of burglars that love those seasonal residents with a car parked in the garage. They just load up the items they steal into the car and steal that too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:30:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Won't be anything worthwhile to steal until we move down full time except furniture. And that won't fit in the car.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 7:19:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Keep the $28 annual registration fee while you can.

At least that's what it was when I escaped Philly....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top