Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2024 7:15:27 AM EDT
Found out my next assignment and want to find a place to live that's family-friendly with a reasonable commute to MacDill AFB. I'm currently considering the Plant City area or possibly locations north of MacDill. I'd love to have a bigger yard and a pool. Do you have any recommendations or things I should be aware of? Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 7:49:36 AM EDT
[#1]
We're S Tampa natives. Buying or renting? Traffic is horrible. S Tampa real estate = $$$$$. Check flood zone map before deciding. Avoid properties with cypress trees.

Link Posted: 8/19/2024 7:55:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I live in Plant City
It’s not as busy as some other area’s around Tampa
When we go out for lunch on the weekends we head to Winter Haven or Lake Wales and
avoid Tampa. Very cool restaurants on the chain of lakes  
I leave the house at 5am every morning to get to the jobs we’re doing if not
you will be sitting in traffic bumper to bumper
Commute to the AFB will drive you insane
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 7:56:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Definitely buying, my parents moved to vero beach area a few years ago and more of my family with be retiring here as well. 400k would be about my max. My top priority is schools for the kids then 4 bedrooms and a pool. Want to do my part and keep the state red.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 8:52:23 AM EDT
[#4]
As others have said, traffic is going to be longer the further out you go.  The area has suffered thru a Democrat majority county commission (Hillsborough), and they have been defunding the road budget, trying to get everyone on public transportation. The commission now has a R majority, and they are pushing for more roads.

I live in Valrico, and it would take me 30 to 45 minutes to get to the base at 0730 using the toll road.

Afternoon commute will be longer.

Pinellas county to the west is connected by three bridges, all of which are packed during rush hour.

South Shore (southern Hillsborough County) is a nightmare traffic wise.  The roads have not caught up.

Link Posted: 8/21/2024 12:43:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Depending on how far you're willing to commute the Veterans express way covers alot of cities that are much less expensive than Tampa and would get you there in an hour or less.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top