Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2024 1:23:56 PM EDT
https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2024/05/proposed-5m-study-would-test-mileage-based-fee-in-place-of-michigan-gas-tax.html

So, here is the latest money scam they are planning to try. Does the money they steal from us in the form of the "gas tax" still go to the general fund? We need to start talking to people and calling these leftist dickbags about this.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe that the proposal is aimed as a way getting road repair taxes from EV drivers.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:49:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Watch the democrats vote for Front license plates, then mandatory GPS installed in your vehicle.

Fight the future.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Arty8:
Watch the democrats vote for Front license plates, then mandatory GPS installed in your vehicle.

Fight the future.
View Quote

Huh.  I might be showing my age, but when I was a kid, cars in Michigan had front as well as rear license plates.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SecondAmend:

Huh.  I might be showing my age, but when I was a kid, cars in Michigan had front as well as rear license plates.
View Quote

When was that?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:02:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SecondAmend] [#5]
Originally Posted By detacbob:

When was that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By detacbob:

When was that?

Back when women wore hats in church, and men took off their hats in church.

ETA:  Okay, I looked it up.  Per the interwebbz: "Only rear plates have been required since 1981."

AETA: So if you're 50+ yo, you might remember seeing a front license plate on your Grandpa's Mercury, your uncle's Oldsmobile, or your dad's Plymouth.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:58:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I want front license plates in Michigan so that automatic plate readers will catch more criminals. The gas tax replacement should only apply to EV's, not gasoline powered vehicles. EV owners are getting to use our highways without paying a dime for their upkeep. Why include gas powered vehicles when the current pump taxes work just fine?

Automatic plate readers have revolutionized law enforcement as far as efficiency is concerned. Once a suspect, revoked driver, expired plates or no insurance gets pinged, the officer's job becomes easy. The problem is most agencies don't have this technology installed, those that do don't have it across their entire fleet.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:35:28 AM EDT
[#7]
So what happened to all the money they are collecting from raising our gas taxes that was going to fix the roads?

The fucking demonrats have never met a tax they didn't like.  Raising taxes is a religion to those sonsabitches.

And, mark my words, when they fuck us with a milage tax in addition to the higher gas tax, there will be some 'tax relief' for the 'blessed poor' so the poor and stupid will keep putting them in office so the poor and stupid will be kept fat, poor and stupid on the public dole.

Then they'll use their gps big brother milage monitors to mail out speeding tickets as well as a tax bill.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I believe that the proposal is aimed as a way getting road repair taxes from EV drivers.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
View Quote

I believe this is a way for them to get both.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 7:17:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
I want front license plates in Michigan so that automatic plate readers will catch more criminals. The gas tax replacement should only apply to EV's, not gasoline powered vehicles. EV owners are getting to use our highways without paying a dime for their upkeep. Why include gas powered vehicles when the current pump taxes work just fine?

Automatic plate readers have revolutionized law enforcement as far as efficiency is concerned. Once a suspect, revoked driver, expired plates or no insurance gets pinged, the officer's job becomes easy. The problem is most agencies don't have this technology installed, those that do don't have it across their entire fleet.

View Quote

Lol, bending over that thin blue line you so hopelessly seek.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 1:12:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Mike_314:
So what happened to all the money they are collecting from raising our gas taxes that was going to fix the roads?

The fucking demonrats have never met a tax they didn't like.  Raising taxes is a religion to those sonsabitches.

And, mark my words, when they fuck us with a milage tax in addition to the higher gas tax, there will be some 'tax relief' for the 'blessed poor' so the poor and stupid will keep putting them in office so the poor and stupid will be kept fat, poor and stupid on the public dole.

Then they'll use their gps big brother milage monitors to mail out speeding tickets as well as a tax bill.
View Quote

The taxes are used for roads, currently they are insufficient to the task.

Some of Michigan's gas tax gets syphoned off for education, which is outrageous IMO.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 1:13:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By wizzi01:

View Quote

In my lifetime the only people I ever met that dislike law enforcement are criminals. Think on that.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 11:15:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I’ve been wondering how and when the EV issue would be resolved.

Interestingly enough - I can’t run off-road fuel in a pickup and drive it on the road but EV owners are essentially doing the same thing and it’s been ok these past few years.

We all knew this day was coming.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 1:41:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Screw that, I would be more in favor of having a toll system, that way everyone thats using the roads chips in, except that money cannot be spent anywhere except maintaining roads.  At least that way all these Canadian Trucks coming to and from Canada would be helping pay for the roads they destroy as opposed to now.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#14]

In my lifetime the only people I ever met that dislike law enforcement are criminals. Think on that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wizzi01:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 11:38:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wizzi01] [#15]

View Quote

Think on what? You being a blue line groupie? I bet they make you stare into theirs eyes, don't they?
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 5:59:08 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

The barber shop and the restaurants that had to reopen during covid because they were going broke, didn't seem too enthusiastic about the police. They are criminals?
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:45:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Ronin72:

The barber shop and the restaurants that had to reopen during covid because they were going broke, didn't seem too enthusiastic about the police. They are criminals?
View Quote

If he hasn't already seen how a system like plate trackers will be abused and turned against us, I don't think he is going to get it. I mean he is literally advocating for more government tracking of the individual citizen.

He needs to wake up, just because you may know some good dudes in the police force, doesn't mean their bosses won't order them to abuse a system like this or to expand upon your example of covid of how most cops followed orders and shut down small business, all while the big box stores remand open.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:40:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Lol to think the government cannot track everyone already via cameras, cell phones ect.  The government has no business keeping track of everyone all the time.  I had a coworker get his Challenger car stolen from a restaurant in Flat Rock.  It ended up via gps at a house on 8 Mile Rd.  The police would do nothing to retrieve it even though they knew where it was.
Link Posted: Yesterday 1:40:21 PM EDT
[#19]

MHO, YMMV, etc.
View Quote

They should just add a surcharge to EV owner's tags at registration and renewal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top