Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2024 10:19:33 PM EDT
NOT A FOR SALE POST (disclaimer for mods)

What would this little mill be worth? It has a a full set of collets and has digital read outs. It was used at Hallmark in their pattern shop. I’ve had it for a couple years and never hooked it up. Trying to clean my shop out and was going to list it. It’s takes up to 1/2” collet and is high speed.

I have no idea of value on it. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 7:35:51 AM EDT
[#1]
wow, that really has a small bed.... assuming that everything works as it should... prob 2-3k?  a working professional DRO is not cheap... but it depends on your location...
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 7:52:53 AM EDT
[#2]
is the power 3 phase ? to slow it down you would use a vari drive
if it's cleaned up nice and pretty , I would start at 1700 Cash !!
and just see how the interest goes on it , but sometimes it's not
the money , if you feel like you met the person for the machine
make it happen and I'm sure you both will feel good in the end .

or that's a  machine where a old timer would like to add to the
collection of machines in his tidy shop , just to look at it ..
with the other machines .

or someone who would add it to do certain jobs that it's fits in nicely
in his layout of machines..

or the first time machine buyer who see them self-machining out parts
in their home garage / shop ,,

I don't need it,, if I was younger, I would buy it just to add
it to my other machines, but I'm that old timer above ..

so, it may be a little old but I'm sure it could
make someone Happy ..

TS2
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 8:44:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 4:56:09 PM EDT
[#4]
12k RPM is nothing to sneeze at.  That's 4k faster than my robodrill and I can move aluminum reasonably fast.  Honestly 12k is kinda scary without an enclosure.

DRO looks very nice.  Might be the selling factor.

The bed is kinda small and looks rusty.  That will limit your market somehat.

If it's in good condition you're in the 2k range. Just my opinion.  I won't pay more than 3k unless it's low hours and comes with more tooling than collets.  I'd like to find a Lagun with power XY and DRO.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 8:52:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. I need to clean her up. It was in very nice shape when I bought it about 3 years ago. It’s just been sitting
I just want someone to get it and use it. I don’t have the time I have an old lathe too I need to get listed. I’m just north of KC
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Here’s the motor on it
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 8:57:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 12:22:42 AM EDT
[#8]
This may be a Superspeed model.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/forum/threads/gorton-o-16a-mill.393579/

At 12k rpm top speed, it was probably meant for smaller tools.  A 1/2" HSS endmill spinning that fast would be smoked in any material.  But 1/8" EM might be fine.  1/32" engravers would be very happy.

At the lower end of 1.4k you'd be fine with most HSS endmills up to 5/8", but not sure you'd want a flycutter on there.  Too many SFM for those... might burn up or throw the cutter.

With a VFD you can get that down to 30% speed for short periods of time, or 50% with no limit.  This machine has what was probably an expensive multispeed motor.  Today we'd just replace it with an inverter-duty TEFC/TENV and slap a VFD on it.

(My South Bend 13 had a multispeed motor too.  I changed it to VFD.)
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 1:04:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What kind and size lathe?

View Quote

It’s an old Power Kraft. A Montgomery wards that I believe was made by Logan. It has all the change gears and I did see it run before I bought it. Just never got around to setting any of these up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top