Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2024 1:16:11 PM EDT
I sent this to my rep and senator.  Pile it on yours if you agree.

Rep/Senator,

It has been my pleasure to see Missouri emerge amongst the many states as a leader in promoting lawful self defense by its citizens.  It is clear that our legislators over the past 20+ years have seen the folly in the restrictions of devices and bad behaviors, and have thus removed roadblocks for law abiding citizens to act in their own defense.

However, while we can now in our homes and in public places be lawfully armed as we choose, in our own places of employment we remain potential victims of violence.  Missouri employers can and very often do restrict the natural right of self defense of the individuals in their employ, while simultaneously offering no protection (imagined or real) against crimes perpetrated on their employees while at work.

I would encourage you to put forth legislation that would prohibit business's from restricting the right to the individual employee's self defense.  I work in a retail setting that is plagued with brazen daylight theft events.  If I were to defend myself, a coworker, or a customer against violence from an outside actor, I would certainly lose my job.  

I do not believe employers in Missouri should have the ability to dictate victimhood status onto their employees under threat of termination of employment.  The right to self defense is natural, with no creature on earth that does not exercise such right when necessary.  Surely it is the duty of our elected representatives to acknowledge this truth and protect it from any business entity that has, for whatever reasons of their own, decided to follow a doctrine that cultivates an environment where such dangers persist.

Thank you for your time, I look forward to your response.
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 1:33:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Well put!  

I'll send it out.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 11:19:37 AM EDT
[#2]
The only problem with the legal premise, is that while you are on-the-clock, you are an agent of your employer. Your employer is liable for your actions, as their agent.

If the law provides relief to the individual, it would also have to provide relief to the employer for liability.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 11:53:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Not a problem.  I don't expect anyone to be held accountable for what I do except me.
Link Posted: 7/15/2024 8:37:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: robmkivseries70] [#4]
I like the idea of course, but as stated above, that would really impinge upon the rights of the business' and property owners. ie. Forcing this by law.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I also like this idea,  but agree with others.  Having said that,  concealed means concealed.  This is America.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 9:27:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 10:28:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: madmacs69] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By robmkivseries70:
I like the idea of course, but as stated above, that would really impinge upon the rights of the business' and property owners. ie. Forcing this by law.
View Quote

Do they feel they can infringe on an individual's rights outside the workplace...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top