Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2024 3:24:55 PM EDT
The wife & I are looking to retire next year & are thinking of moving to Pennsylvania & buying a home.

We have 1 son currently in school in Carlisle & like the area, so we were thinking of these counties:
Adams
Cumberland
Dauphin
Franklin
Lancaster
Lebanon
Perry
York

We'd appreciate any advice, such as how is the medical situation? (we're getting old), any good places/towns?  any areas to avoid?  Nearest shooting range? Etc.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 7:07:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By TONTO44:
The wife & I are looking to retire next year & are thinking of moving to Pennsylvania & buying a home.

We have 1 son currently in school in Carlisle & like the area, so we were thinking of these counties:
Adams
Cumberland
Dauphin
Franklin
Lancaster
Lebanon
Perry
York

We'd appreciate any advice, such as how is the medical situation? (we're getting old), any good places/towns?  any areas to avoid?  Nearest shooting range? Etc.

Thank you.
View Quote

How much are you looking to spend? I am in Dauphin County, 30 outside of Harrisburg, but with a Harrisburg address still. I am 10-15 min away from my range. Its a big skeet/trap place which shuts down saturday rifle and pistol ranges. However with you being retired, that shouldn’t be a huge issue.  There are a few ranges to choose from between me and Carlisle depending on where you’re more specifically looking.

For me work aside, I would probably go rural Perry county.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 10:26:05 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a Public Game Range just North of Carlisle
Pistol range 10 and 25 yards with a rifle range that goes out to 300 yards.
I'm about 20 minutes from another Game Range with 100 yards rifle and pistol ranges.

And the Clubs.
Oh, joy the clubs.

Pick a county and just try and keep track of all the available Clubs.

I also know of three Businesses that have indoor ranges that will take either pistol or rifle caliber ammunition.
Two of the locations Rent Class III Cans and

The Only real question is: How Far Are You Willing To Travel To Shoot
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Out of those listed, Lancaster probably has the most available health care.
But then you have all the Amish to deal with. And the Menonite Mafia ain't no joke.

Lehigh valley (Allentown/Bethlehem) is filthy with medical facilities and has a lot to offer.

I live up in Monroe with the bears. I like it here.

We are at 2,00 feet and average 3 days a year over 90*. (and 120 below freezing. Which is why we head for Clearwater for J,F,M)

You ain't from Jersey, Are you?
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 11:06:38 PM EDT
[#4]
the Fudd clubs lol ?

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GiggleSmith:
I'm about 20 minutes from another Game Range with 100 yards rifle and pistol ranges.

And the Clubs.
Oh, joy the clubs.

I also know of three Businesses that have indoor ranges that will take either pistol or rifle caliber ammunition.

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2024 11:07:48 PM EDT
[#5]
bring alot of money, prepare to over pay, then have to fix it up. good luck.
Link Posted: 7/24/2024 1:47:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PA452] [#6]

And the Clubs.
Oh, joy the clubs.

View Quote

Years ago I was stationed in Maryland and rather than join any club there I opted to make the drive to that PGC range in Carlisle all the time. I used to go up there almost weekly with my gf at the time. I thought it was a really nice area. Haven't been there since 2008 I'd guess. Met a lot of nice people there too.
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 8:43:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By PA452:
Years ago I was stationed in Maryland and rather than join any club there I opted to make the drive to that PGC range in Carlisle all the time. I used to go up there almost weekly with my gf at the time. I thought it was a really nice area. Haven't been there since 2008 I'd guess. Met a lot of nice people there too.
View Quote

You'd love all the upgrades.
Roofs, concrete stands, etc.

I have to remember to take a picture or two the next time I visit one.
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#8]

You'd love all the upgrades.
Roofs, concrete stands, etc.

I have to remember to take a picture or two the next time I visit one.
View Quote

I'd be interested to see a pic if you are there. Spent a lot of time there. Don't get out that way much anymore.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 7:35:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: billclo] [#9]
If you end up in the Lancaster area, there is a nice gun club in New Holland.  Last time I was there (2015), they had up to 600 yards of range, there were tactical classes, night shoots, etc.  There is a membership lottery to get in, so I guess its popular.

https://www.nhrpc.org/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top