Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2024 8:45:41 PM EDT
Gov. Jared Polis made a bold declaration Thursday before he signed a bill that gives more incentives for Coloradans to pursue a higher education.

"This one of the most important bills in this legislative session," Polis said before signing HB24-1340 before a crowd of educators, lawmakers and students at Mountain Range High School.

The bill stipulates that beginning in the fall of 2024, students who attend public institutions and have family incomes of $90,000 or less are eligible for complete reimbursement of any out-of-pocket tuition and fees paid for their education, according to a news release.

The legislation expands on existing state programs aimed at making college affordable for middle class Coloradans, Polis said.

"Some people simply can't afford to go to college while others have spread out their higher education over 8-to-10 years because of the costs," Polis said.

Two years at any public four-year college, community college or trade school are essentially free to every Coloradan, added Polis. "This (bill) will strengthen Colorado's workforce, provide new pathways for students to gain in-demand skills, and save Coloradans thousands of dollars   helping ensure that higher education is affordable for everyone," Polis said in the news release.

View Quote
moar
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 9:35:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Darrellbear] [#1]
TANSTAAFL--There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.  Somebody will be paying for it, guess who?
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 9:52:24 PM EDT
[#2]
FJP
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 12:24:25 AM EDT
[#3]
College is a money laundering activity.  Other than engineering and science schools it's all solid gold toilets in the deans office and blowing money on bullshit.

This happens because the government pays so much into the education system.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 7:50:19 AM EDT
[#4]
They need two more years to ensure the kiddos are fully indoctrinated.
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe if the Kolorodo Politburo didn't do things that contribute to the expense of living here, then people would have more $ left in their wallets.

Also, you're welcome, moochers.  If ya can't feed'em, then don't breed'em.
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 7:25:37 PM EDT
[#6]
How much TABOR money went to this?
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Fuck it why stop there? Let’s send everyone to Harvard. Let’s do this shit.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 10:52:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I didn't get my voucher yet to reimburse me for my kids already through school.

Also, I would like a pony.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 1:55:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm honestly torn on this. I have my masters and never paid a cent between my GI Bill and my employers 100% tuition grant so I can appreciate free school. But this isn't the same. My daughter wont even benefit because I'm over the threshold.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 3:25:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Snuff_The_Rooster:
I'm honestly torn on this. I have my masters and never paid a cent between my GI Bill and my employers 100% tuition grant so I can appreciate free school. But this isn't the same. My daughter wont even benefit because I'm over the threshold.
View Quote

Only families making less than $90k benefit from this.  

Louisiana did this years ago and had the requirement that the student had to maintain a 2.5 gpa.  IIRC, 80% of those on the free program couldn't maintain the 2.5.

Link Posted: 6/12/2024 9:15:15 PM EDT
[#11]
My kid goes to Colorado Early Colleges charter school. Two year degree is free and offered by a number of colleges that work with the school. 90% of the kids graduate high school with an associates. The other 10% have trade certs when they graduate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top