Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2024 10:53:31 PM EDT
Anyone see any Northern Lights last night?  It was storming and we did not go out to look for them.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:50:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Saw them very briefly Friday night before an overcast moved over us. Saturday night they were bright again. I tried in vain to get pictures. My phone camera (Motorola Moto G Power) doesn't have a "nite mode" or low light setting, nor a time lapse setting. But it does have a bunch of manual settings if you turn it off "auto"... but I have no clue what they all mean and how to adjust them. I'm going to learn them today.

fwiw... my sister, who lives in Naples FL in winter, St Germain in summer, saw them down in FL on friday night!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:40:45 AM EDT
[#2]
We saw them around 3 am Saturday Morning near the state line. Incredible. Stretched over our heads and to the east and west.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#3]
We saw them.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw them Friday night from my back yard in Pleasant Prairie. Clear night sky, green northern lights.

Was expecting them to be cheese-colored.

Saturday night, no lights.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:30:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Clarinath] [#5]
They were so spectacular they were the southern lights.

That is looking SE of my house.

Attachment Attached File

That was on Friday.

On Saturday I watched them with night vision and that was really cool.  You can see crap ton more movement and motion via night vision.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:21:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I tried to get pictures for 2 nights, with no success.

Finally... on 3rd day, I found some right in my own driveway...

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:02:01 PM EDT
[#7]
too cloudy over in Boulder Jct.
but we did have a bear under the back window tonight about 7:45 PM
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 8:04:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 9divdoc:
too cloudy over in Boulder Jct.
but we did have a bear under the back window tonight about 7:45 PM
View Quote

Granddaughter in Arbor Vitae had one come into her garage last weekend and steal a bag of bird feed. Overhead door was open. When it came back the next night it was closed... so it tried to open the service door. Her husband (the biggest human being I've ever seen in person) opened it from inside. The bear took off.... it's probably back at the bear den telling all the others "No shit dudes... he was bigger than all of us!"

He is "almost" 7' tall, weighs "about" 400 lbs. He ducks his head going through standard doorways, and says "about" when asked his weight, because it's difficult to find a scale that goes that high. fwiw...he is not fat.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:03:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By rfb45colt:
I tried to get pictures for 2 nights, with no success.

Finally... on 3rd day, I found some right in my own driveway...

http://i.imgur.com/UPyA8qPl.jpg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 10:11:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Granddaughter in Arbor Vitae had one come into her garage last weekend and steal a bag of bird feed. Overhead door was open. When it came back the next night it was closed... so it tried to open the service door. Her husband (the biggest human being I've ever seen in person) opened it from inside. The bear took off.... it's probably back at the bear den telling all the others "No shit dudes... he was bigger than all of us!"

He is "almost" 7' tall, weighs "about" 400 lbs. He ducks his head going through standard doorways, and says "about" when asked his weight, because it's difficult to find a scale that goes that high. fwiw...he is not fat.
View Quote

LOL good story

I had made a "bird" feeder out of an old satellite dish left behind which I found bent down when we got back from our old place during the move...this one looked pretty young probably 2 ish in nice shape though...
Likely the same bear...not going to encourage him though...if he's not a cabin bear yet don't want to turn him into one...
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 8:24:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 9divdoc:

Likely the same bear...not going to encourage him though...if he's not a cabin bear yet don't want to turn him into one...
View Quote

All bears are cabin bears. Especially in the spring when they come out of hibernation. They haven't eaten in months, and the desire for an easy meal overwhelms their fear of people.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 9:15:38 AM EDT
[#12]

All bears are cabin bears. Especially in the spring when they come out of hibernation. They haven't eaten in months, and the desire for an easy meal overwhelms their fear of people.
View Quote

Not all bears break into cabins and rip open the refrigerator (but they all certainly have that potential and nature)..had one 50 yrs ago When I lived down in Tomahawk back when I worked at Lincoln Hills actually do that to my neighbor down the road that had nice trout ponds...ate all his trout then broke into his house and her and her cubs helped themselves to his refrigerator contents and all his canned goods.s

Even way back when I was in high school and worked summers for the state...we trapped problem bears..and they transported them and dumped them in other areas they felt needed more bears...

She tore up my garden but the dog chased her off...havent seen my new buddy in a few days...but not going to encourage him...

Kinda figured with the warm winter and better survival rate there was less food for those guys this year and they'd be getting desperate...kinda nice to see him in the back yard...but on the other hand...sort of deal...
Link Posted: 6/2/2024 1:02:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This was Horicon Marsh earlier this month

I suppose the northern lights are supposed to be active this week again.
Top Top