Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2024 9:49:36 AM EDT
I will retire in a couple of weeks, and I want to get away from the beach (don't want to have to bug out for a hurricane in my 70s).
I have signed a contract to buy about 8 acres in southern Clay county that backs up to a preserve.
Big enough to that I should be able to put in a rifle range. My hope.
Once the seller signs, I am on the clock to get my due diligence done on the property--tried to stall until I was retired so I would have more time, but what the heck.
Of course, that means, if I decide to get it,  I have to go through the grueling process of getting a home built on the sight.  Not looking forward to that. It is about an hour 20 minutes away from me here, so making a trip there is not so bad, but it seems like most builders I am looking at only want to make McMansions, and I do not want that.
Damn, I have a lot of work to do over the next 30 days or so.

Link Posted: 6/5/2024 1:14:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats on the new property. While stressful as it will be, you will have a great piece of property and I am sure you will look forward to the time ahead.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 5:54:47 PM EDT
[#2]
You can get a range in OP with 8 acres.  I have only two and a half and I managed to get a 68 yard range in albeit for subs.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 7:32:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Have to considered a manufactured home or a pre-fab "house in a box? There are some companies who make hurricane rated structures. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 8:32:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have to considered a manufactured home or a pre-fab "house in a box? There are some companies who make hurricane rated structures. Just a thought.
View Quote
Yeah, I am looking into then.
Couple of problems.
1) A lot of mobile homes will advertise as "Modular," so gotta watch out.
2) My wife is wheelchair bound, so I need some modifications done on doorways to make it easier for her to get through, also having the toilet and shower in specific places for her to be able to use.  Not sure how "modifiable" modular homes are.  But I am looking into it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You can get a range in OP with 8 acres.  I have only two and a half and I managed to get a 68 yard range in albeit for subs.
View Quote
Yeah, really wanting 200 yards (what I am used to using), but may just get a 100 yard one.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 8:34:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Congrats on the new property. While stressful as it will be, you will have a great piece of property and I am sure you will look forward to the time ahead.
View Quote
The nice thing is, don't care about selling it, I plan to just die there.  So, if I want a cigar inside, I will smoke a cigar inside.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:21:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The nice thing is, don't care about selling it, I plan to just die there.  So, if I want a cigar inside, I will smoke a cigar inside.
View Quote

I’m with you.  I’m in the process of building a home about 7 miles from where I am now and it will be my final living place before my final resting place.  IDGAF about resale, it will be for me and my wife.  My kids can figure out if they want to keep it or sell.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 8:01:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm with you.  I'm in the process of building a home about 7 miles from where I am now and it will be my final living place before my final resting place.  IDGAF about resale, it will be for me and my wife.  My kids can figure out if they want to keep it or sell.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with you.  I'm in the process of building a home about 7 miles from where I am now and it will be my final living place before my final resting place.  IDGAF about resale, it will be for me and my wife.  My kids can figure out if they want to keep it or sell.
Yeah, the wife and I never had any children.  My only decision over the last years of my life it, who do I give all my stuff too?
Eh, I retire in a week or so, then I will have more time to ponder the questions of life.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 8:03:36 AM EDT
[#9]
DAMN!! Clay Country really does not want any new homes!!  They require a permit for everything (except breathing, or at least I haven't come across that one yet!).
Also, if anyone knows: Should I go ahead and have the lot cleared where I want it cleared and then get a builder after clearing, or should I get a builder who will clear lot, get septic put in, a well and do everything.
Also, not very easy to get a builder in this area, right now I am looking at Red Door, as they seem to builder smaller to moderate houses for a decent price. Anyone know anything about them?
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 3:52:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Congrats!

Thought about a barndominium?

6000 sqft steel barn structure with ~1500 sqft finished out residential living space.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 5:24:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Unfortunately, the land did not pass a perc test.  Would have needed to built a 5' sand him to put the drain field in.
Also, a very small area of "wetlands"-it stay wet during the summer daily thunderstorms--turned out to be larger than I thought.  Had to pass.
Dang it, back to looking for land. Sigh.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Unfortunately, the land did not pass a perc test.  Would have needed to built a 5' sand him to put the drain field in.
Also, a very small area of "wetlands"-it stay wet during the summer daily thunderstorms--turned out to be larger than I thought.  Had to pass.
Dang it, back to looking for land. Sigh.
View Quote

Dang - you know that Clay County just put in a new public range on CR 215....

LOL

Red
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Dang - you know that Clay County just put in a new public range on CR 215....

LOL

Red
View Quote
Yeah, but other than that they have a TON of regulations about using property.
The public range in Middleburg only has a 100 yard rifle line, but I can live with that. Now I just have to find someplace.
I sent you the details.
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yeah, but other than that they have a TON of regulations about using property.
The public range in Middleburg only has a 100 yard rifle line, but I can live with that. Now I just have to find someplace.
I sent you the details.
View Quote

Thank you - Graham has a 300 yard open to the public that is pretty sweet!  The rest or 200 yards or you have to qualify.

There was a sweet lot that backed up to a branch of Black Creek on Thunder Road that I should have looked at harder!  That area is about to blow up!

Red

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top