Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2024 6:08:30 PM EDT
In few years I will retire from the service. In the last two days I briefly checked out Paris and Springfield. Both towns seem nice but which one should I consider to retire to?

What worries me about Springfield is the growth of Nashville and Clarksville. In 20-30 years, could Springfield be gobbled up into one massive urban area with Nashville and Clarksville?
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 8:15:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 8:23:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Springfield is a shithole.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 9:37:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: farfromhome] [#3]
Originally Posted By bodybagger:
Originally Posted By farfromhome:
In few years I will retire from the service. In the last two days I briefly checked out Paris and Springfield. Both towns seem nice but which one should I consider to retire to?

What worries me about Springfield is the growth of Nashville and Clarksville. In 20-30 years, could Springfield be gobbled up into one massive urban area with Nashville and Clarksville?
View Quote

You're absolutely right about Springfield. I used to travel through there a lot for work and it has grown a whole lot over the last 25 years, give it a while and you won't even know you've left Nashville til you see the Kentucky line. Paris, McKenzie, Erin, Tennessee Ridge, and Cumberland City is where I'd look if I was wanting to be kinda close to Clarksville in Tennessee. On the Kentucky side I'd look at Cadiz, Trenton, Pembroke and Guthrie.
View Quote

Thank you for the info.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 10:15:20 PM EDT
[#4]
There are some serious tax implications to considering KY.  I would avoid.  

Look at Charlotte or Vanleer near Dickson. Or Waverly.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 7:24:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Woodsman20:
There are some serious tax implications to considering KY.  I would avoid.  

Look at Charlotte or Vanleer near Dickson. Or Waverly.
View Quote

Thanks. I will be looking for at least 10 acres. I wont live in city limits. Springfield has grown but not nearly as much as Clarksville. I wanted to retire out of Campbell but the Army had other plans for me. I will return to TN in 2027.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 10:42:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bodybagger:

You're absolutely right about Springfield. I used to travel through there a lot for work and it has grown a whole lot over the last 25 years, give it a while and you won't even know you've left Nashville til you see the Kentucky line. Paris, McKenzie, Erin, Tennessee Ridge, and Cumberland City is where I'd look if I was wanting to be kinda close to Clarksville in Tennessee. On the Kentucky side I'd look at Cadiz, Trenton, Pembroke and Guthrie.
View Quote

This^^ is mostly correct in my experience also except leave out KY if you want to avoid a lot of “Commonwealth” type taxes. Those areas in KY do have some beautiful spots though. We have land in Stewart County and I’m hoping to escape Clarksville in a few more years.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Fellas, I will be staying in TN, no thanks for KY.

My buddy lives near Paris. I was supposed to see him today (and get a tour of the town) but he bailed on me until next weekend.

My old neighbor's mother in law in the Mayor of Springfield, lol.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 3:29:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:07:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I’ve worked in and lived close to Springfield for years, the rural parts of Robertson county are nice in my opinion. It’s convenient enough to hit Nashville, Clarksville or shop in smaller towns.

If you plan on having a boat I’d pick Paris, my only experience with it has been fishing. Waverly and Camden same boat. There’s a lot less people out there if that’s what you’re looking for.
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 12:20:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Prae] [#11]
Knowing both .I'd choose Paris.   Clarksville here btw.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:39:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I've been in Paris the last 5 years.  Lived in the region most of my life.

Great fishing and hunting.

Anything outside city limits will require septic.

Good people.  Plenty of retail and restaurants in town.  

Most retirees want to be in town close to groceries and health care.

My advice is to look a couple miles outside city limits.  Northeast if you see yourself going to the lake alot, northwest or southwest of town if you want good hunting ground.  I'm due west in the middle of 550 acres of farmland.  Covered up in deer, turkey, dove.

Link Posted: Yesterday 10:45:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SchizoPathica] [#13]
Even though I'm a Nashvilian, I've spent a ton of time in both Paris and Springfield.
For what you're after I'd have to say Paris by a mile.
Springfield used to be quaint but has gone way downhill.
Paris has barely caught up to the 21st century, in a good way.

ETA: You could still probably do ok in rural Robertson County. I still say Paris.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top