Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2024 7:18:14 AM EDT
My pistol permit will be expiring in September and I was wondering if I should start the renewal now, online, mail or in person which is the best method?
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 10:20:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#1]
Per SLFU pistol permit renewals are either online through their portal or by mail. They haven't done in person pistol permit renewal since covid (or earlier). Wish they would resume in person renewals, but they haven't and likely won't in the future.

Note: If renewing online the renewal icon in the portal may not appear until you are within 90 days of the permit expiring. Do not wait, renew as soon as you hit the 90 day prior to expiration mark. Online renewal processing is running about the same as mail in renewal processing, two to three months. If your permit expires you have a 90 day grace period where you can still carry with that expired permit but cannot buy firearms, ammunition or magazines.

Per SLFU:
https://portal.ct.gov/despp/division-of-state-police/special-licensing-and-firearms/state-pistol-permit#renewals

Pistol Permit Renewals
Ninety (90) days prior to the expiration of your permit, the issuing authority will mail out a renewal letter to your last known address. The law requires that you notify the issuing authority within 48 hours of changing your address. Currently, permit renewals can be mailed in or completed online.

Instructions for the mail in process can be obtained here

Instructions for the online process can be obtained here To renew your pistol permit online click here

The cost of renewing a state pistol permit is $70.00.

If you lose your renewal letter or fail to receive a letter in the mail, you may obtain a replacement form by clicking on renewal application below. State pistol permit holders are granted a 90 grace period to renew their permit. Permits expired beyond 90 days will not be renewed.

DPS-129-C- Application for Pistol Permit Renewal
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 11:28:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't count on them mailing out your renewal. My wife and I did not get a renewal notice for our permits.

We have lived in this house for 20+ years. My son also never got his Driver License renewal notice either.

Don't depend on this state to do anything they are supposed.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By edgephoto:
Don't count on them mailing out your renewal. My wife and I did not get a renewal notice for our permits.

We have lived in this house for 20+ years. My son also never got his Driver License renewal notice either.

Don't depend on this state to do anything they are supposed.
View Quote

This right here. 90 days prior to expiration, renew online through the portal.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 10:33:38 PM EDT
[#5]
FWIW- I received the renewal paperwork in the mail 3 weeks prior to the end of April expiration date.  I mailed it back in 1 week to expiration with a check, passport photo, & copy of passport.  I received the renewed license 2 weeks after expiration.

Like most (all) things CT does, I think the processing is random. That, and the efficient employee in Middletown has most likely been fired.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 6:39:44 PM EDT
[#6]
They were very late with paperwork but did a good job, in five weeks, after an online submission as soon as my icon appeared at ninety days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top