Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/10/2024 11:03:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: southerncross]
Hey GAHTF,

My wife, 3 yr old, and myself are currently in the Columbus area, and are relocating this summer. I would love to talk to someone who currently lives, or has lived in the Martin Landing area in Roswell.
I’ll try to check messages on here, but my cell number is below as well.
Mark
*Snip*
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I don’t live there but my cousin and his wife and kids do as well as his in laws and my aunt.

It seems nice. Established neighborhood. Feel free to IM me with any questions and I can ask him and get back to you.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 2:02:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: southerncross] [#2]
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 2:04:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 3:04:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By southerncross:

Hey, don't take this the wrong way but it's a bad idea to post your phone number on an open forum like that. Best to IM people here instead.
View Quote

No I appreciate it, wasn’t thinking about that.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#6]
This made me chuckle "A vibrant and welcoming community showcasing the beauty of the South in the heart of historic Roswell, GA."

I know nothing about that area. My MIL has dementia, and is an assisted living place. We're starting the process to become conservators or whatever so we can sell her condo in Roswell to fund her stay in the assisted living place.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#7]
When I moved to the area everyone talked like Roswell was some kind of ghetto. I'm sure it has bad parts but mostly seems like nice suburbia to me.

I live in Alpharetta so everywhere else seems like a ghetto
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By southerncross:
@Gahunter95 can also probably lend a few ideas as well.
View Quote

Roswell yes.  Martin's Landing - No

Idk much about ML.  Not a lot of drama on Nextdoor from that N'hood, so you've got that going for you.  

well...except for the graffiti incident, but that was awesome.   Some kids tagged a playground.  Neighbor with plenty of free time and skills got security footage from nearby HD showing them buying the spray paint.  Posts pics.  Finds perps.  Karen's upset on the internet because they are yutes.  PoPo involved.  Yutes have to pay for damages.  Case closed.  Karens still upset.  Damn near needed a campfire and some cold beer while reading that thread.  lol
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 10:54:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By KoolOperator:
When I moved to the area everyone talked like Roswell was some kind of ghetto. I'm sure it has bad parts but mostly seems like nice suburbia to me.

I live in Alpharetta so everywhere else seems like a ghetto
View Quote

My family lived in the Roswell area for a couple of decades, never heard a thing about it being a ghetto.  As a matter of fact when Martin's Landing was first developed my father sold the homes there.  I thought it was pretty nice then.  A friend of mine at the time was better off and bought his first home there, he was happy.  Then again this is close to 40 years ago. My family did leave Roswell and moved to Woodstock, but that was because my brother couldn't afford a home in Roswell and Woodstock was more affordable.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 3:19:21 PM EDT
[#10]
parents live in roswell and like it. i visit fairly often. not familiar with Martins Landing, however.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 11:14:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Pull out a map, a red magic marker and draw these lines I'm about to lay out.  You will end up drawing a zone that you need to stay out of, that's the zone people talked about as being the rough part of Roswell.

To the west is Hwy 9, aka Alpharetta Hwy. it runs more or less north/south.  On the east side is GA 400, same north/south.  The north is Mansell Rd., it runs east/west from Hwy 9 to GA400.  The south boundary is not as clearly define.  Roughly southwest to northeast, from Hwy 9 to Grimes Bridge, then from Warsaw Rd to Holcomb Bridge Rd.  

Most of that areas are low income apartments, old cheaper housing, strip shopping centers.  Most of the troubles are inside that rough boundaries.  

Outside of that areas there are houses from half a million to multi millions.  Martin's Landing is old and established, compared to other parts of the metro area, it's pretty safe.  Had two girlfriends in ML several years ago, not at the same time. LOL
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By swolliepop:
parents live in roswell and like it. i visit fairly often. not familiar with Martins Landing, however.
View Quote

I guess because the name Roswell but when I first read your post I thought it said "not familiar with the martians landing, however" 👽👾 lol
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 11:00:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I’m well north of there but I hope where you or your wife will work is close by. GA 400 commute is brutal and getting worse day by day, hopefully you can take surface streets to wherever you have to get to. I don’t know that exact area but the schools will be hit or miss and you’re in Fulton Co, lucky you.

Roswell is a mix of 3rd slums and micro-mansions. Not trying to be a negative Nancy but I hope you find a nice little spot.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 7:28:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By ARstudent:
Pull out a map, a red magic marker and draw these lines I'm about to lay out.  You will end up drawing a zone that you need to stay out of, that's the zone people talked about as being the rough part of Roswell.

To the west is Hwy 9, aka Alpharetta Hwy. it runs more or less north/south.  On the east side is GA 400, same north/south.  The north is Mansell Rd., it runs east/west from Hwy 9 to GA400.  The south boundary is not as clearly define.  Roughly southwest to northeast, from Hwy 9 to Grimes Bridge, then from Warsaw Rd to Holcomb Bridge Rd.  

Most of that areas are low income apartments, old cheaper housing, strip shopping centers.  Most of the troubles are inside that rough boundaries.  

Outside of that areas there are houses from half a million to multi millions.  Martin's Landing is old and established, compared to other parts of the metro area, it's pretty safe.  Had two girlfriends in ML several years ago, not at the same time. LOL
View Quote

I have been in Roswell for about a decade and like it. We are in the Crabapple area that borders Cherokee County. I think the post above is accurate. Not familiar with Martin's Landing and don't make it to that side of Roswell very often. Sucks being a part of Fulton County but we do like where we live. Schools are hit or miss though so do your research. IM if I can help with anything
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 3:25:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks, guys. We are still looking if anyone here has something FSBO or off market. Sandy Springs/Dunwoody/South Roswell area. My wife will commute 2-3 days a week to midtown. We have about 90 days to be out of our current place (50 acres/farm… i have alot to do).

I hope I can meet up with some of you guys once we get moved. I have my own place to shoot here at home, so I don’t get much interaction with other like minded people too often.

Link Posted: 6/19/2024 6:36:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 7:47:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I left Roswell in 2021 for the mountains. It's not ghetto anywhere. It's a nice area some more affluent than others. That said I couldn't get out fast enough, its just toooooo over populated and being invaded by leftists. Going anywhere for anything was such a process i just got tired of it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 5:48:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By marktaylor99:
Thanks, guys. We are still looking if anyone here has something FSBO or off market. Sandy Springs/Dunwoody/South Roswell area. My wife will commute 2-3 days a week to midtown. We have about 90 days to be out of our current place (50 acres/farm… i have alot to do).

I hope I can meet up with some of you guys once we get moved. I have my own place to shoot here at home, so I don’t get much interaction with other like minded people too often.
View Quote

I would avoid Sandy Springs, I know two couples who moved out of there in the last few years and they both said the decline was very noticeable the last couple of years they were there.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 7:03:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Extorris:

I would avoid Sandy Springs, I know two couples who moved out of there in the last few years and they both said the decline was very noticeable the last couple of years they were there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Sandy Springs was awesome. Probably still is pretty nice. But, when we left 4 years ago, the traffic was getting crazy, and the area was starting to slip.
I wouldn’t move there if I was looking to put down roots.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 7:23:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Agree with the posts above on Sandy Springs. We came close to buying a house there 10 years ago but chose Roswell. I'm in SS from time to time for work and am reminded that I'm glad we didn't buy there.  Definitely feels like it's declining
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 7:50:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: runcible] [#21]
Originally Posted By SouthernYank:
Agree with the posts above on Sandy Springs. We came close to buying a house there 10 years ago but chose Roswell.
I'm in SS from time to time for work and am reminded that I'm glad we didn't buy there. Definitely feels like it's declining
View Quote
How has Roswell been holding up with all the illegals? Used to see a lot of day laborers shaping-up in parking lots along Roswell Road. Has that gotten better?
It's getting ridiculous, how far away from the city you have to go to escape the decline. One mall we used to go to, nice place, is like an outdoor range now, from what I see on the news.

Link Posted: 6/20/2024 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#22]
My wife will commute 2-3 days a week to midtown.
View Quote

My opinion if she's going to midtown, either have a commute or don't. Get outside of Fulton county and make it a drive, or get a place in Buckhead.

With just you and a 3 year old consider an apartment or rental for now? You don't have to worry about school yet and the housing market is tough. That will buy you some time to get to know the area.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 8:55:43 AM EDT
[#23]
My opinion if she's going to midtown, either have a commute or don't. Get outside of Fulton county and make it a drive, or get a place in Buckhead.
With just you and a 3 year old consider an apartment or rental for now? You don't have to worry about school yet and the housing market is tough. That will buy you some time to get to know the area.
View All Quotes
My wife will commute 2-3 days a week to midtown.
I wouldn't live in Buckhead, especially not with a family.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 10:31:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By runcible:
View Quote

I know a woman who lived there, she finally moved after her place was burglarized for the third time in under a year.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#25]

I know a woman who lived there, she finally moved after her place was burglarized for the third time in under a year.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By runcible:

My wife and I moved to that area 11 years ago. It's depressing how much it's changed.
Had we not moved to Florida, we would have moved further north in GA long ago.
(And, not by choice, but by necessity.)
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 7:53:18 AM EDT
[#26]
We are under contract on a house- and are looking for recommendations for a fence company? Wood/privacy, Roswell area.
Thanks again for those who have posted or sent me a message.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 2:51:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: swolliepop] [#27]
We are under contract on a house- and are looking for recommendations for a fence company? Wood/privacy, Roswell area.
Thanks again for those who have posted or sent me a message.
View Quote

i’ll ask my parents if they have one. they’ve been up there for 14yr.

wta- this is who they used 14yr ago. unsure if still in biz or not.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 12:19:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: weagle] [#28]
I live just on the other side of the river from Matins Landing.  Roswell is a great town.  Lots of great places to eat and nice parks, good music.  The Chattahoochee is an amazing place to fish for both trout and bass and Martin's lake has some monster bass.  

One thing that will surprise you is the number of deer in the area.  I'll bet there are more Trophy bucks in Martins Landing than many counties in GA and they just wander around the neighborhood like cattle.

Link Posted: 9/15/2024 1:13:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By weagle:

One thing that will surprise you is the number of deer in the area.  I'll bet there are more Trophy bucks in Martins Landing than many counties in GA and they just wander around the neighborhood like cattle.

View Quote

Can confirm.

Aunt is on 1/4 acre and this is her back yard.

Link Posted: 9/15/2024 7:06:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JT_26] [#30]
The farther from 400/19 the better as far as crime. The lighter areas to the NW are GTG. Traffic will be the worst you've seen but that's the big city.

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/ga/roswell/crime

I lived in Alpharetta for 20 years I know Roswell very well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top