Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2024 12:07:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rival14]
Would anyone want to rent me a car / suv for a week out of Anchorage?
7/27 thru 8/2

Just My GF and I, we're in our 50's clean and respectful of poeples property.

Coming up to go fishing. Really just need to get from the airport to the lodge in Soldotna / some local store trips in town and back to the airport.

Anyway was just a thought to toss on here

thank you

Link Posted: 6/9/2024 12:27:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Before we moved up here, I'd come for my vacation each year to spend time in our cabin and car rental was a HUGE expense.

One year the Wife and I wanted to drive the Denali Highway.  The major rental companies would not allow their cars off the pavement, so we found a used car lot that rented their stock.  It was a lot cheaper.  The car was not new, but it ran fine.  I don't remember how we found that lot (not a new dealer lot), but there must be some more out there (lots of used car lots in ANC).  One of the big things about that is you get away from the airport tax!

You can take public transit away from the airport to a rental place and save some $.

There is a system for renting private cars, but I don't know what it's called or how to access it.  One year a coworker's family lived up here and offered to rent me his van for about 1/3 the normal cost after he'd heard how much it would cost to rent from a company.  It wasn't new but ran OK.  They were short on $ so it worked out great for both of us.  He parked it at the airport for my arrival and I parked it there when I left.  I think he sent me a key before I came and I just locked the key inside when I dropped it off.  He even had a couple of bottles of water in there for me.  I left a "little extra" as it was certainly a good deal for me.
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 10:48:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Just got back, rented a 10' U-Haul van, wasn't luxurious, but worked great as we started in Fairbanks and worked our way south. Cars were stupid expensive.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 10:39:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Which lodge in Soldotna? red eye rides can get you from Anchorage down here to the Kenai and you can just take a taxi around town for minimal cost. Other than that Turo is the best option. Ill actually be buying a third vehicle just so my visitors and family have something for the summers. When I moved outside for a while I kept a truck here just for visiting home because the cost of rentals is insane and no way around it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top