Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2024 11:34:08 AM EDT
Hey y’all, I’ll be in town for the NSCA Nationals next month and I need some suggestions for food and things to see/do, preferably by the National Shooting complex.

BBQ, Tex-Mex and steak primarily.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 12:42:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Mi Tierra is a classic Tex-Mex spot. For steak, I recommend Morton’s.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AggiePhil:
Mi Tierra is a classic Tex-Mex spot. For steak, I recommend Morton’s.
View Quote

Morton’s, really? You know we have those in my AO, it’s not a bad steak but I was hoping for a local place as much as possible. Maybe a Texas-Brazil place?
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 12:54:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Im not a Brazilian steakhouse fan. If you want something different from Morton’s, go to Bohanan’s.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 10:26:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Mi Tierra or Casa Rio for TexMex. Not the best I’ve had but still good. For something different try Guenther House for breakfast if the weather’s nice.  Their patio seating is in a beautiful garden.  It’s located in a residential area but right next to the Pioneer Flour Mill. For lunch try Shilo’s.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 3:24:36 AM EDT
[#5]
El Chaparral and get the puffy tacos.  
It’s a San Antonio style tacos and they are good.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2024 2:04:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By naes:
El Chaparral and get the puffy tacos.  
It’s a San Antonio style tacos and they are good.  

View Quote

Puffy tacos are delicious, I make them at home from time to time. I spent over 15 years outside of Albuquerque and have traveled all over the SW, I miss the food for damn sure.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#7]
La Fogata off 410 and Vance Jackson .
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By MrPineco:
La Fogata off 410 and Vance Jackson .
View Quote

That looks promising….
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 9:19:33 PM EDT
[#9]
No recommendations, but visit the Alamo.  

Fun fact- in other states ya’ll teach the Revolutionary war and on.  

In TX, we teach Texas history.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 10:58:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By BladedRonin:
No recommendations, but visit the Alamo.  

Fun fact- in other states ya’ll teach the Revolutionary war and on.  

In TX, we teach Texas history.
View Quote

Already on the plan plus the riverwalk as a whole. Our time will be short as we’ll be shooting most of the time we’ll be there but I’ve been there before and I want my son to experience it.

We’ll have essentially one free day so we plan on doing the Alamo/Riverwalk that day. Anything else I’m open to but keep in mind we’ll only have one full day.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:22:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Steak - Bohanan's Prime Steaks and Seafood
Tex Mex - El Jarro de Arturo (Local) / Mi Tierra (Touristy)

Don't go to Mortons btw. There's a Mortons in every US city I'm pretty sure. No chains.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#12]
No food suggestions, I just wanted to say hello to a fellow sporting clays shooter. I am shooting on the Thursday - Sunday rotation.  

I strongly suggest not leaving any firearms or other valuables in your vehicle.  The NSC has a gun check that charges $5/day to keep your shotguns safe.  If you are staying in a nearby hotel, it is well worth the small cost.  Every scumbag in the area knows the dates of all the big shoots at the NSC.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 12:21:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VacaDuck] [#13]
Take a short trip up to Boerne to the Richter Bakhaus for the giant cinnamon roll.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 8:15:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ATLDiver] [#14]
Originally Posted By spinone:
No food suggestions, I just wanted to say hello to a fellow sporting clays shooter. I am shooting on the Thursday - Sunday rotation.  

I strongly suggest not leaving any firearms or other valuables in your vehicle.  The NSC has a gun check that charges $5/day to keep your shotguns safe.  If you are staying in a nearby hotel, it is well worth the small cost.  Every scumbag in the area knows the dates of all the big shoots at the NSC.
View Quote

We’re shooting 19-22, (if we can get in the Beretta cup.) We should meet up for a drink. Already plan on using the gun check, I’ve been warned but I don’t know how we’ll handle ammo/gear. We’re not driving out so we won’t have our buggy and normal accessories we take. Probably will keep just enough ammo in the rental car, we’re staying near the medical center.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 9:54:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: r-2-k-b-a] [#15]
Originally Posted By ATLDiver:

We’re shooting 19-22, (if we can get in the Beretta cup.) We should meet up for a drink. Already plan on using the gun check, I’ve been warned but I don’t know how we’ll handle ammo/gear. We’re not driving out so we won’t have our buggy and normal accessories we take. Probably will keep just enough ammo in the rental car, we’re staying near the medical center.
View Quote

-----DO NOT LEAVE GUNS IN YOUR DAMN CAR------------   FOR 30 SECONDS EVEN

Prob safer to leave baggs at your hotel
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 12:02:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By r-2-k-b-a:

-----DO NOT LEAVE GUNS IN YOUR DAMN CAR------------   FOR 30 SECONDS EVEN

Prob safer to leave baggs at your hotel
View Quote

Yeah that’s the working plan I have. Ammo and bags in/out of the car anywhere other than the hotel or shooting complex. Apparently 3/4 ton trucks are highly targeted I’m sure to run into Mehico, score an expensive shotgun is bonus.

Thieves should be, well you know.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Yeah that's the working plan I have. Ammo and bags in/out of the car anywhere other than the hotel or shooting complex. Apparently 3/4 ton trucks are highly targeted I'm sure to run into Mehico, score an expensive shotgun is bonus.

Thieves should be, well you know.
View Quote
When I park at a hotel or airport, I always pull the fuel pump relay to help prevent my vehicle being stolen.
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By VacaDuck:
When I park at a hotel or airport, I always pull the fuel pump relay to help prevent my vehicle being stolen.
View Quote

That's not a bad idea, I'll remember that when I'm taking my truck on trips. This I'll have a rental and I'm not necessarily concerned about it as it'll be whatever econobox they give me. My big concern is flying with the gun, yes I've done it before and whatnot and yes I have it insured but still would suck to have no gun to shoot at the competition.
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 10:43:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By VacaDuck:
View Quote

starter relay on mine usually
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 11:52:47 PM EDT
[#20]
It would be great to meet up but I am shooting Thursday 24 - Sunday 27.   I usually leave my vest and ammo in my vehicle and just make sure it isn’t visible.  Shooting glasses and ear pro are with me in the room.  I hope you rented a cart?  The NSC is really spread out. I have never flown with my shotguns; I would be more anxious about that than having my ammo stolen.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 6:42:53 PM EDT
[#21]
It would be great to meet up but I am shooting Thursday 24 - Sunday 27.   I usually leave my vest and ammo in my vehicle and just make sure it isn’t visible.  Shooting glasses and ear pro are with me in the room.  I hope you rented a cart?  The NSC is really spread out. I have never flown with my shotguns; I would be more anxious about that than having my ammo stolen.
View Quote

Yes I am renting a cart, I’m spoiled with having my own. Do you know if the FITASC fields are within range of a parking lot, if so I can knock off a day? I meant to call down there today to ask, I’ll do so tomorrow.

I’ve flown with guns before, it is pretty nerve racking buuuut straight forward if you do everything by the book. I have a very nice and sturdy locking case and full gun insurance so outside the grief I’m covered.

We would’ve loved to have shot the following weekend but my son’s fall break allowed the days we setup. It is what it is.

I’m buying ammo there for the exception of the 28ga we’ll need for FITASC. If got to confirm but I believe I can take up to three boxes per bag so I’m covered.
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Yes I am renting a cart, I’m spoiled with having my own. Do you know if the FITASC fields are within range of a parking lot, if so I can knock off a day? I meant to call down there today to ask, I’ll do so tomorrow.

I’ve flown with guns before, it is pretty nerve racking buuuut straight forward if you do everything by the book. I have a very nice and sturdy locking case and full gun insurance so outside the grief I’m covered.

We would’ve loved to have shot the following weekend but my son’s fall break allowed the days we setup. It is what it is.

I’m buying ammo there for the exception of the 28ga we’ll need for FITASC. If got to confirm but I believe I can take up to three boxes per bag so I’m covered.
View Quote

Yes, parking is available near the 28 ga FITASC.   You should be okay as long as it doesn't rain like last year.

I understand about school!  My son had a lot of unexcused absences during high school but now he gets an excused absence as a freshman on the University shotgun team.  

I don't shoot sub gauge.  I have a difficult enough time breaking clays with a 12 ga! I have never been able to get into a FITASC event.  They are always booked by the time I register for a shoot.  I am interested in trying it.  

My son and I are shooting the Main, K-Cup, Beretta, and 5 stand.  We always have fun, even during the "Mud Nationals" last year.  

We were lucky and did not have to shoot any of our events during the rain.  We just suffered the aftermath of mud.  The NSC has made a lot of property improvements since last year that should make a huge difference if it rains like that again.

This is the NSC course map:

NSC Map
Link Posted: 9/22/2024 7:38:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ATLDiver] [#23]

Yes, parking is available near the 28 ga FITASC.   You should be okay as long as it doesn't rain like last year.

I understand about school!  My son had a lot of unexcused absences during high school but now he gets an excused absence as a freshman on the University shotgun team.  

I don't shoot sub gauge.  I have a difficult enough time breaking clays with a 12 ga! I have never been able to get into a FITASC event.  They are always booked by the time I register for a shoot.  I am interested in trying it.  

My son and I are shooting the Main, K-Cup, Beretta, and 5 stand.  We always have fun, even during the "Mud Nationals" last year.  

We were lucky and did not have to shoot any of our events during the rain.  We just suffered the aftermath of mud.  The NSC has made a lot of property improvements since last year that should make a huge difference if it rains like that again.

This is the NSC course map:

NSC Map
View Quote

Thanks, I found the map last week but they do their best to hide it. Since we’re shooting the mains back to back Sat and Sun it’ll be packed and we have Super, K-cup and FITASC over our time. My son is accustomed to shooting 250+ rounds in a day so we’re not worried about it. In fact, sitting around hours between rounds is less than ideal.

I called down there, there is a parking lot but apparently it’s a ways away, since we had the cart reserved we just kept it. We’ll be prepared for rain and mud, it won’t be the first time we’ve had to deal with that. We shot a tournament last year, some at night, that was rain and cold throughout the weekend. It was miserable.

28ga is my son’s specialty, he’s won his class in several big shoots. Sub-gauge is really good to practice as it makes you be very tight on your lead and the sub -gauge events are under 30yrds.

Looking forward to it, I just want to be as prepared as possible for it since we won’t have all our gear and stuff.

EDT. FITASC is so much better than 5-Stand so do try shooting it. The only pain is the “dress code” and the little tiff they’re having with the NSCA wrt Super Sporting. They, the French body behind FITASC, claim Super Sporting is a direct rip-off so they’re demanding the NSCA stop offering both events. They’re similar but not the same, the only thing that’s similar is a 3rd Trap and single targets. FITASC is growing in popularity here and the States and I think the French hate that.

George Digweed has a whole rant on this, he’s been doing more and more NSCA events and thinks it’s just the French being…French.
Link Posted: 9/23/2024 6:01:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Thanks, I found the map last week but they do their best to hide it. Since we’re shooting the mains back to back Sat and Sun it’ll be packed and we have Super, K-cup and FITASC over our time. My son is accustomed to shooting 250+ rounds in a day so we’re not worried about it. In fact, sitting around hours between rounds is less than ideal.

I called down there, there is a parking lot but apparently it’s a ways away, since we had the cart reserved we just kept it. We’ll be prepared for rain and mud, it won’t be the first time we’ve had to deal with that. We shot a tournament last year, some at night, that was rain and cold throughout the weekend. It was miserable.

28ga is my son’s specialty, he’s won his class in several big shoots. Sub-gauge is really good to practice as it makes you be very tight on your lead and the sub -gauge events are under 30yrds.

Looking forward to it, I just want to be as prepared as possible for it since we won’t have all our gear and stuff.

EDT. FITASC is so much better than 5-Stand so do try shooting it. The only pain is the “dress code” and the little tiff they’re having with the NSCA wrt Super Sporting. They, the French body behind FITASC, claim Super Sporting is a direct rip-off so they’re demanding the NSCA stop offering both events. They’re similar but not the same, the only thing that’s similar is a 3rd Trap and single targets. FITASC is growing in popularity here and the States and I think the French hate that.

George Digweed has a whole rant on this, he’s been doing more and more NSCA events and thinks it’s just the French being…French.
View Quote

The FITASC drama just seems so French! I admit, I am glad the NSCA is taking a hard stand on this but it is somewhat surprising. It will probably end with the French flying a white flag.  I have heard rumors the French were not happy about the money shoots in Dubai not paying the blood money to the FITASC organization?  Not sure if there is any truth to that...........
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 7:55:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ATLDiver] [#25]

The FITASC drama just seems so French! I admit, I am glad the NSCA is taking a hard stand on this but it is somewhat surprising. It will probably end with the French flying a white flag.  I have heard rumors the French were not happy about the money shoots in Dubai not paying the blood money to the FITASC organization?  Not sure if there is any truth to that...........
View Quote

Probably but also the growth here in the states that they’re not in control of. AFS could easily take over IMO and no one would miss a beat. FITASC needs NSCA, not the other way around.

Hell, the NCSA is *was,* promoting FITASC in SCTP events growing the next generation. FITASC isn’t doing that, in fact they’re so stuck in the past they’re letting AFS grow. That is direct competition and due to their stance, will continue to grow.

I have a vested interest, my son’s favorite is FITASC even considering the dress regs and rules.

Link Posted: 10/5/2024 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Ok another question, is there a good local place in SA for cowboy boots? Somewhere in the $300 range is where I’d like to be.
Top Top