Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2024 2:17:31 PM EDT
Driving through Monroe GA today and got my first speeding ticket (I’m 50)

Officer screwed me by citing me for 85 in a 70. I guess that lets me earn the Super Speeder bonus +$200 on top of whatever the fine is?

I admit I was speeding but I was keeping up with traffic with cruise control set at 78.

As someone who is not a resident of the state of GA, is it worth hiring a lawyer. If so, is there a firm you recommend?
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 3:37:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Was it state police or local? There's a law in GA that outside a school or work zone they can't pull you over until you're exceeding 10 over unless they're State Police and as of late I've rarely heard of them going after anyone going under 10 over.  If what you say is accurate, I'd hire a lawyer simply out of principle. Also, keep in mind that 14+ over means points that will be reported to FL and your insurance.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#2]
i googled for traffic attorney when i got one by the lake, may have been hall county, by GSP. and paid set fee and he got reduced, etc.

i’ll try to ask local friends. sorry man, that sucks.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#3]
It was a county sheriff

Link Posted: 6/3/2024 10:11:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: southerncross] [#4]
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 10:59:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Good thing you had your ID......and presented it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 11:00:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By southerncross:
@7mm-08
View Quote

Dragging my ass into this…o wait…yeah those are my guys that nailed the OP.
Once I get more info, I’ll see where this goes.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 11:02:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By deerfieldAR:
Driving through Monroe GA today and got my first speeding ticket (I’m 50)

Officer screwed me by citing me for 85 in a 70. I guess that lets me earn the Super Speeder bonus +$200 on top of whatever the fine is?

I admit I was speeding but I was keeping up with traffic with cruise control set at 78.

As someone who is not a resident of the state of GA, is it worth hiring a lawyer. If so, is there a firm you recommend?
View Quote

Deerfield, shoot me a message so we can “chat”. Go ahead and get a picture of the ticket to send to me. I may know a guy.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Where is there a 70mph zone in Monroe?
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 11:47:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Try calling the issuing office, and seeing if they will drop the speed and just let you pay a reduced fine...most all will, especially if you have a good driving record.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 6:24:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 7:26:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Will do.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Your message came through but broken. Sent my email to you.
👍
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Was it the City of Monroe or Monroe County? Sounds like you were speeding on I75 through Forsyth, bad place to do that.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By RolandDeschain:
Where is there a 70mph zone in Monroe?
View Quote

Yes it’s possible, in Monroe County.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Jason280:
Try calling the issuing office, and seeing if they will drop the speed and just let you pay a reduced fine...most all will, especially if you have a good driving record.
View Quote

Only time I’ve done that is when a Capt asked nicely. I did tell him I expected not to get bit in the ass by doing a “good deed”. My Capt was always good to me.

In reality I suggest getting an attorney familiar with that court/judge to represent your interest. Best case is getting the charge dropped, realistically you’ll get the charge reduced but still pay the fine. As my solicitor for traffic court has said “we here for the money, I can work on the charge but the fine will be the same”
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 5:01:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JLW] [#17]

View Quote

Super speeder is 75 MPH or more on a two-lane road or 85 MPH or more on other roads.  

Your OP stated in Monroe, GA.  The city of Monroe is in Walton County, and I'm not aware of a 70 MPH speed limit anywhere in the city limits.

Monroe County is a good hour+ from the city of Monroe.  The only 70 MPH speed limits I know of in Monroe County are on the interstate.

Link Posted: 6/4/2024 5:03:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Coffin-Nail:
Was it state police or local? There's a law in GA that outside a school or work zone they can't pull you over until you're exceeding 10 over unless they're State Police and as of late I've rarely heard of them going after anyone going under 10 over.  If what you say is accurate, I'd hire a lawyer simply out of principle. Also, keep in mind that 14+ over means points that will be reported to FL and your insurance.
View Quote

Your post is incorrect.  You need to review Title 40 Chapter 14.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 6:12:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Coffin-Nail] [#19]
Originally Posted By JLW:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JLW:
Originally Posted By Coffin-Nail:

You make it sound like my entire post is incorrect, they evidently can pull you over which I was wrong about, but they can't cite you for going less than 10 over according to this. Though the case law seems to be if the officer is incorrect in believing you were going 10 over, they're still justified in making a stop for speeding so long as it was close. If I'm wrong about something else please enlighten us as I understand you are well versed in this topic.

40-14-8. When case may be made and conviction had.
(a) No county, city, or campus officer shall be allowed to make a case based on the use of any speed detection device, unless the speed of the vehicle exceeds the posted speed limit by more than ten miles per hour and no conviction shall be had thereon unless such speed is more than ten miles per hour above the posted speed limit.
(b) The limitations contained in subsection (a) of this Code section shall not apply in properly marked school zones one hour before, during, and one hour after the normal hours of school operation or programs for care and supervision of students before school, after school, or during vacation periods as provided for under Code Section 20-2-65, in properly marked historic districts, and in properly marked residential zones. For purposes of this chapter, thoroughfares with speed limits of 35 miles per hour or more shall not be considered residential districts. For purposes of this Code section, the term “historic district” means a historic district as defined in paragraph (5) of Code Section 44-10-22 and which is listed on the Georgia Register of Historic Places or as defined by ordinance adopted pursuant to a local constitutional amendment.

No application to state troopers. —
Although a defendant was only traveling 10 miles per hour above the posted speed limit when the defendant’s vehicle was stopped by a state police trooper for speeding, since O.C.G.A. § 40-14-8(a) did not apply to state troopers, the stop was valid; § 40-14-8(a) only applied to county, city, or campus officers. Hayes v. State, 292 Ga. App. 724, 665 S.E.2d 422, 2008 Ga. App. LEXIS 853 (2008).

Stop of vehicle justified. —
Even though an officer, mistaken as to the speed limit where the radar operation was established, was prohibited by O.C.G.A. § 40-14-8 from making a case against a vehicle going only nine miles per hour over the limit, nothing prevented the officer from stopping the vehicle for speeding. Freeland v. State, 223 Ga. App. 326, 477 S.E.2d 633, 1996 Ga. App. LEXIS 1153 (1996).

When an officer clocked the defendant driving 10 miles per hour over the speed limit, this provided the officer with a legal reason to stop the defendant to warn the defendant of exceeding the speed limit, even though, under O.C.G.A. § 40-14-8(a), the defendant could not be convicted of speeding; therefore, it was proper to deny the defendant’s motion to suppress the results of this stop. Berry v. State, 274 Ga. App. 831, 619 S.E.2d 339, 2005 Ga. App. LEXIS 832 (2005).
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 9:07:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: southerncross] [#20]
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 9:11:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Them Monroe Co boys don’t play. 🤣. One of the few stretches of 75 that I stay around 75mph
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 9:24:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Go to court ask the judge for to reduce the ticket to below 15 and ask to NOLO at the time you plea
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 11:21:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I can work on the charge but the fine will be the same
View Quote
That's essentially what I was told last year.
Link Posted: 6/4/2024 11:26:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I was in Monroe county on 75.

I sent a couple of requests for information to a couple of area law firms, no replies yet.

I was trying to see if anyone had recommendations.

Im not really bothered about the fines. It’s the points that is going to screw me with my insurance and possibly my employment.

Link Posted: 6/5/2024 7:32:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By surplusnut:
Was it the City of Monroe or Monroe County? Sounds like you were speeding on I75 through Forsyth, bad place to do that.
View Quote

That area is bad for speed traps. I always make sure I’m going the speed limit when I’m going down to the Meadows.

OP, I think it’s worth it to get a lawyer to fight it. The money you spend will be less than your insurance jacking up rates due to SS violation.
Link Posted: 6/5/2024 8:41:56 PM EDT
[#26]
OP, I think it’s worth it to get a lawyer to fight it. The money you spend will be less than your insurance jacking up rates due to SS violation.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/6/2024 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#27]
I was in Monroe county on 75.

I sent a couple of requests for information to a couple of area law firms, no replies yet.

I was trying to see if anyone had recommendations.

Im not really bothered about the fines. It’s the points that is going to screw me with my insurance and possibly my employment.

View Quote

I can check with my local Atty’s to see if they have a Monroe County local atty they would recommend.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Deerfield, check your email.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Ticket clinic may also be a viable option .
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
Ticket clinic may also be a viable option .
View Quote

I've heard good things, but can't 1st hand vouch.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#31]
“Is there any way we can plead this down to something where I pay the full fine but it carries no points?”

it’s worked every single time. my driving record is pristine yet i’ve been to traffic court (a bunch) in the last 20 years. Never accumulated a single point.

They just want your money, it’s taxation by citation.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 10:30:09 PM EDT
[#32]
I knew not to speed while heading to GPSTC, even in my patrol vehicle ! Actually, I probably went faster while driving my personal car there
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Jace:
I knew not to speed while heading to GPSTC, even in my patrol vehicle ! Actually, I probably went faster while driving my personal car there
View Quote

Speeding cops were such a problem for the locals that a grand jury investigated it.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2024 8:45:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Jace:
View Quote

After watching a classmate get called out in the first hour of a week long class and never return…. Turns out he was running late to class and trying to make time by running code from somewhere south all the way to the exit. Local trooper came into class later, to explain speeding bad, speeding in county car Bad, running code to make class BAD.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 3:23:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By 7mm-08:

After watching a classmate get called out in the first hour of a week long class and never return…. Turns out he was running late to class and trying to make time by running code from somewhere south all the way to the exit. Local trooper came into class later, to explain speeding bad, speeding in county car Bad, running code to make class BAD.
View Quote

😂😂😂😂
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 10:21:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mad-Machinist] [#36]
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 5:40:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By 7mm-08:
View Quote

I worked with a cop who was speeding to get to the range during the academy because he didn't want to get in trouble for being late. He got to the toll booth at the bridge on the way there and they stopped traffic ahead of him, he was getting chased by the highway patrol and didn't realize it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:14:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ga41] [#38]
https://hlhmw.com/

Bob Harris is a cousin of mine, he is a lifelong resident. He should be able to point you in the right direction

Many many years ago, my Grandfather was the senior deputy, my best friend's Dad was THE superior court judge and my cousin was the probate judge... I never pushed it, but I aways felt good about my chances if it ever got bad. Years back, the Bitticks were the law there, for 3 generations, they were the Sheriff , good folks.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 7:45:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Hire a lawyer, follow their advise.  Likely they will at least get it reduced below superspeedee then it wont be reported to insurance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top