Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2024 7:09:38 AM EDT
The wife and I are going to spend three days two nights in Chattanooga for our 20th wedding anniversary.  We would have liked to have taken a week but she started a new job and can only get the weekend off.

So far we are doing the aquarium, going on the duck boat tour, and maybe going to a concert.  I have been once before for something trade school related and I enjoyed the city diner myself.

I'm looking for activities and good places to eat so any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks hometown gang.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 8:31:02 AM EDT
[#1]
The Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum is pretty neat and has some interesting and fun rides on their schedule. The shortest and least expensive is their Missionary Ridge Local, which starts at $24 per person and is about an hour long. It starts in Chattanooga, travels 3 miles south, through a pre-Civil War tunnel and over several bridges, before stopping in GA. There, riders tour the museum's restoration shop and watch the train get turned around for the return trip. Once the train is facing northward, you get aboard and head back to Chattanooga.

There is also a Medal of Honor Museum right next to the aquarium.

Not far from the aquarium is a pinball museum and arcade. It has dozens of old school pinball games, going back to the earliest days of the type, most of which are playable. The cost of admission includes unlimited playing of the games. There are also a number of old school, 80's and 90's, video games to play. It's right by the Moon Pie General Store and a pretty cool candy store, as well.

The Southern Belle River Boat cruise is a pretty neat trip. It boards not far from the aquarium. They offer several tours, including a number of dinner cruises and sunset cruises. I've done the basic sightseeing tour a couple times over the years.

Lookout Mountain and the Inclined Railway aren't too far out of town. The Chickamauga Battlefield is pretty impressive and fairly close by. Those are all  worth a visit in my opinion. Rock City is also close by.

I'd skip the Chattanooga Zoo, unless you're bringing kids with you. If you are ever bringing kids, the Creative Discovery Museum is close to the aquarium and kids love it.

As for food, there are a lot of options near the aquarium. There's a Brazilian steakhouse close by which is good.

There is a great Cuban restaurant, Embargo 62, on Cherokee Boulevard, in a bit of a gentrified neighborhood with a number of good dining and drinking options.

You didn't say anything about gun shopping, but GT Distributors is there in Rossville, GA. They are literally on the TN / GA state line and have a small office built onto the building which straddles the TN line, allowing them to sell handguns to TN residents. They always have a decent selection of used handguns, many of which are LE trade-ins. They also tend to have some used long guns, though some of them tend to be rode hard, put away wet, junk from LE evidence rooms. They almost always have some LE trade-in AR's and 870's.

Personally, I love Chattanooga as a get-away town.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 12:26:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys!

My wife is a bit on the wussy side, she really didn't want to do the duck ride but I convinced her otherwise.

We probably can squeeze in a couple of things not on our itinerary already.  I'll review what's posted and try to pick out what I think we will both enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/13/2024 7:57:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Coolidge park is a good one, and is free. The Carousel is pretty cool with all the horses being made and maintained by locals.

If you are up for a drive, go up Signal Mountain and see the spaceship house, most folks forget that one.

Skip Ruby Falls, is a tourist trap (is a shaft drilled down trying to get at a lower cave, and most of the cave they opened has been damaged over they years due to tourists, and is not what it used to be, the lower cave they were attempting to drill to was used as a field hospital during the Civil War rumor has it that some famous folks defaced it with their signatures).

Point Park on top of Lookout is a nice place and has a small museum that you can hike down to. If you like hiking or driving around in the woods looking at scenery, Reflection Riding is a cool place, and they also have the red wolf program with their wildlife rehab program at the Nature Center (https://reflectionriding.org/). Over near the Nature Center is a plaque where one of the last battles of the Revolutionary war was at. You can Drive Missionary Ridge, lots of monuments up there, as well as some really nice houses, including one Frank Lloyd Wright designed, just be careful up there as ghetto is on one side. If you are here for the first Sunday of the month, the Hunter Art Museum is free then. They have some nice pieces and usually have some traveling exhibits as well.

The National Cemetery has a monument to the first medal of honor recipients there, which is why the museum is based here in Chattanooga.

I want to add, in my opinion, that Choo Choo BBQ (Hixson and East Ridge) is better than Sugar's although the fainting goats are cute, and I still prefer Momo's up in Dayton or Couch's over in Ooltewah. Bea's is an experience, if they are open while you are here, Southern cooking, served homestyle. As for food, will depend on your taste and what you like, there is a little of everything. The closest to authentic Mexican I have found, is at the hole in the wall behind the Mexican Grocery store on Main. Southern Star is pretty good, over near the Chattanoogan. Tony's up in the Art's district does homemade pasta, and is a good Italian place. Rembrandt's, again in the Bluffview Art district, is a great little coffee shop and has some yummy desserts.

This link has a calendar of what all is going on in Chattanooga by the week. https://www.visitchattanooga.com/events/

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top