Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2024 1:23:08 PM EDT
I’ve currently got Safeco but need to start looking around. Paying about 3500 on a 3700sq house in MJ. Who do you all use for homeowners insurance and recommend?
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 3:36:04 PM EDT
[#1]
2700 sq ft

Farm Bureau went from $1400/yr last year to $2100/yr this year with only 1 claim in 20 years.

A quote from State Farm was $2100.

Funny they have the exact same cost. I smell collusion.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 5:02:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gotigers:
2700 sq ft

Farm Bureau went from $1400/yr last year to $2100/yr this year with only 1 claim in 20 years.

A quote from State Farm was $2100.

Funny they have the exact same cost. I smell collusion.
View Quote

Yeah, I do too. In fact my broker was like “ go ahead and check around”. He was very confident I would find just about the same and so far he’s right.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Travelers

No complainants
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 7:25:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ishootglocks] [#4]
I've been with Farm Bureau for years and no complaints. The local agents I have worked with have always been fantastic.

No home owner claims, a few auto claims over the years. Rates have always been in line with or considerably lower than other insurance options.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#5]
OP, go see an independent insurance agency (one that doesn’t represent a particular company) and have them get you several quotes. Almost always if you combine your homeowners with your vehicles you will get a better rate. But have the agent search out your best options.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 10:20:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Using Erie and paying $1800ish for 2200sft in HV
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 4:30:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Amped:
Using Erie and paying $1800ish for 2200sft in HV
View Quote

Yeah, my broker has Erie and that’s who I wanted but they were higher than Safeco. Crazy how much this is now
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 8:24:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Soxfan:

Yeah, my broker has Erie and that’s who I wanted but they were higher than Safeco. Crazy how much this is now
View Quote

Outch. Insurance has doubled in the last few years all over
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 11:06:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Amped:

Outch. Insurance has doubled in the last few years all over
View Quote

National average for home building is up 40% over the last 2 years, but insurance average increases are well over 50%.

Typical big business BS. Using cover of national news about inflation (20%-30%) as cover for 50% plus increase.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 7:17:20 PM EDT
[#10]

National average for home building is up 40% over the last 2 years, but insurance average increases are well over 50%.

Typical big business BS. Using cover of national news about inflation (20%-30%) as cover for 50% plus increase.
View Quote

I went with USAA. The dropped my auto and homeowners considerably. Time will tell
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 10:23:25 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

The issue with that logic in this argument is that not only is the expense of paying claims up vs a few years ago, the frequency of claims is also up. You have no doubt noticed the rampant growth in this state. More homes built and autos on the road are changing us from a less densely populated, lower cost market into a more highly suburbanized and higher cost one.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 7:39:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Rattle-Snap:

The issue with that logic in this argument is that not only is the expense of paying claims up vs a few years ago, the frequency of claims is also up. You have no doubt noticed the rampant growth in this state. More homes built and autos on the road are changing us from a less densely populated, lower cost market into a more highly suburbanized and higher cost one.
View Quote

LOL. Is it?

1 bad storm season paying out too much. So, raise rates for eternity.

Or

Insurance companies have new customers and more cash coming in, so they raise rates.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top