Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/16/2024 3:17:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Milspec99]
The insurance companies tell you FL auto is so expensive because there are so many uninsured motorists in the state.  Can't law enforcement tell if a motorist is uninsured by running plates?

Time to round these efer's that are uninsured and have suspended registrations.  I never liked the idea of licenses plate readers but if this could bring insurance premiums down to reasonable levels I'd listen.

I live in the country in WCF I have a 2012 Honda with 167,000 miles and drive less than 5k miles per year.  How the heck is my insurance $124 month?  No accidents, no tickets, no claims, nada.

Where is the legislature on the auto and home owners insurance crisis?
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#1]
You have cheap insurance.....Be thankful you only pay that.

Have you seen what has happened in SFL the last week?  Floods, hurricanes, fires & auto thefts.  Those are what's driving prices.  As you said no one cares about those with no insurance.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:21:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Milspec99:
The insurance companies tell you FL auto is so expensive because there are so many uninsured motorists in the state.  Can't law enforcement tell if a motorist is uninsured by running plates?

Time to round these efer's that are uninsured and have suspended registrations.  I never liked the idea of licenses plate readers but if this could bring insurance premiums down to reasonable levels I'd listen.

I live in the country in WCF I have a 2012 Honda with 167,000 miles and drive less than 5k miles per year.  How the heck is my insurance $124 month?  No accidents, no tickets, no claims, nada.

Where is the legislature on the auto and home owners insurance crisis?
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with OP.  I'm tired of paying for the irresponsible.  Get plate readers on every LEO unit and clear those freeloaders out of our way.  That would be a great way to serve the community.  Rates will come down and less people will be ruined financially by the freeloading scumbags.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:34:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gotpierogi] [#4]
They will continue driving without insurance anyways. Penalties are too soft.
I drive to Orlando for work on a daily basis, and some of the shit I see can't be unseen.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 10:10:46 PM EDT
[#5]
With the economy collapsing insurance fraud will becoming a primary source of income for some folk.
Enjoy the decline.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 7:11:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Miami_JBT] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GaryM:
With the economy collapsing insurance fraud will becoming a primary source of income for some folk.
Enjoy the decline.
View Quote
FL has been the insurance fraud capital for decades with South FL being the insurance fraud capital of the state for decades. It has nothing to do with the economy and everything to do with our shitty requirements and enforcement. Out of a state of 22 million people, there are less than 100-150 insurance fraud investigators statewide. On top of that, the Legislature and the Insurance Industry are crooked as fuck. Meaningful legislation will not be introduced nor passed by the Legislature since that effect the industry.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 9:38:07 AM EDT
[#7]
License plate scanners will not tell LEOs when an unlicensed person is driving a friend's car.  After an accident the friend's insurance won't cover the unlicensed driver.
Who is paying for all the damaged/destroyed autos n South FL?  Our insurance companies.  
There is no pie in the sky solution.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 11:45:31 AM EDT
[#8]
my wife bought a new 2024 X4 M40i yesterday for Father's Day..lol...I have 2023 M3 Compatition and we have a 2012 XTERRA PRO 4X.. for surfboards, dog transport, shitty weather

$2400 every 6 months...
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 11:52:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:
License plate scanners will not tell LEOs when an unlicensed person is driving a friend's car.  After an accident the friend's insurance won't cover the unlicensed driver.
Who is paying for all the damaged/destroyed autos n South FL?  Our insurance companies.  
There is no pie in the sky solution.
View Quote

Government can enforce anything they want to.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 12:50:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Seems every day I go to work there are a dozen or more traffic crashes... it's amazing to me how many people just fucking run into each other. Just based on what I see alone, on daily basis, insurance companies are paying tons of money to fix cars and people. This doesn't count for what I don't see on the three other shift rotations.

When I was LEO in SC we would arrest you on the spot for uninsured driving... here in Florida, it's only criminal if you knowingly misrepresent having insurance. There have been times where we issue a criminal citation the owner of the vehicle if an unlicensed driver is driving their vehicle:

322.36 Permitting unauthorized operator to drive.—A person may not authorize or knowingly permit a motor vehicle owned by him or her or under his or her dominion or control to be operated upon any highway or public street except by a person who is duly authorized to operate a motor vehicle under this chapter. Any person who violates this section commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. If a person violates this section by knowingly loaning a vehicle to a person whose driver’s license is suspended and if that vehicle is involved in an accident resulting in bodily injury or death, the driver’s license of the person violating this section shall be suspended for 1 year.

Yep, we run across an uninsured driver from time to time with a cancelled registration, but if people would just stop smashing into each other...

2023 Accura RDX and a 2010 F-150, State Farm hits me for about $165/mo. Wife is 55 and I'm 62, clean driving records.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By fuzzy03cls:
You have cheap insurance.....Be thankful you only pay that.

Have you seen what has happened in SFL the last week?  Floods, hurricanes, fires & auto thefts.  Those are what's driving prices.  As you said no one cares about those with no insurance.
View Quote

No you are just conditioned to over paying for insurance.  

The crappy state I moved from years ago my insurance was $165.00 a month for two vehicles, my 2012 beater and a 2019 vehicle.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 2:02:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Milspec99] [#12]
Originally Posted By Bowhntr6pt:
Seems every day I go to work there are a dozen or more traffic crashes... it's amazing to me how many people just fucking run into each other. Just based on what I see alone, on daily basis, insurance companies are paying tons of money to fix cars and people. This doesn't count for what I don't see on the three other shift rotations.

When I was LEO in SC we would arrest you on the spot for uninsured driving... here in Florida, it's only criminal if you knowingly misrepresent having insurance. There have been times where we issue a criminal citation the owner of the vehicle if an unlicensed driver is driving their vehicle:

322.36 Permitting unauthorized operator to drive.—A person may not authorize or knowingly permit a motor vehicle owned by him or her or under his or her dominion or control to be operated upon any highway or public street except by a person who is duly authorized to operate a motor vehicle under this chapter. Any person who violates this section commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. If a person violates this section by knowingly loaning a vehicle to a person whose driver’s license is suspended and if that vehicle is involved in an accident resulting in bodily injury or death, the driver’s license of the person violating this section shall be suspended for 1 year.

Yep, we run across an uninsured driver from time to time with a cancelled registration, but if people would just stop smashing into each other...

2023 Accura RDX and a 2010 F-150, State Farm hits me for about $165/mo. Wife is 55 and I'm 62, clean driving records.
View Quote

I have State Farm as well.  I don't know why they are bilking me for $300/mo.  Clean records.  2012 Honda CRV and 2019 Nissan Rogue Sport.  Maybe I have too much coverage?
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#13]

I have State Farm as well.  I don't know why they are bilking me for $300/mo.  Clean records.  2012 Honda CRV and 2019 Nissan Rogue Sport.  Maybe I have too much coverage?
View Quote

State Farm just notified me that they'll be canceling my auto policy when it comes up for renewal. Said I filed too many claims. Filed one in 2021 to repair a chip in my windshield. And filed one in 2023 for roadside assistance that resulted in a tow. No tickets, no accidents, no other claims. They still want my homeowners policy, but their renewal quote is 73% higher than last year because I lose the multi-policy discount. Good times.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 2:15:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gotpierogi] [#14]

View Quote

No, you're simply paying for others, same as with house insurance. Insurance companies raise rates for everyone to recoup loses.

I find it comical that in Kommie Connecticut out of all places, my car insurance was almost half less than here. Clean record, no claims, garage and I live in center of the State, two vehicles, wifes Jeep is paid off, same coverage as CT and same insurance company - AAA.

I don't have it bundled with house insurance so maybe that's why.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:28:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Milspec99] [#15]
Originally Posted By gotpierogi:

No, you're simply paying for others, same as with house insurance. Insurance companies raise rates for everyone to recoup loses.

I find it comical that in Kommie Connecticut out of all places, my car insurance was almost half less than here. Clean record, no claims, garage and I live in center of the State, two vehicles, wifes Jeep is paid off, same coverage as CT and same insurance company - AAA.

I don't have it bundled with house insurance so maybe that's why.
View Quote

Same here also came from CT .  I had Amica up there for home and auto, almost 20 years.  They bumped up my homeowners a little over the years due to what they spun as "increased home value" but nothing drastic.  $165 for both cars.  Amica does not offer home policies in FL because the insurance market is upside down here.  While we were renting I did flip to Amica when we first came down.  My car insurance went up $80 per month right off the jump.

Oh and I know the pay for everyone else game.  Up North I was required to have flood insurance from Fema on my first home wayyy back.  They raised it every year and there was nothing I could do about it.  Paying into the pool for everypne else in the country that really gets flooded.

I also have State Farm for home owners here in FL.  I don't think it's bundled with my auto.  I was bracing for impact this year figuring they would jack me on it.  By the grace of God it went down $27.00 this year.     No complaints but then they gaff me on the auto to more than make up for it.

I make a decent living but I don't know how people are buying houses, paying crazy home owners and have new Ford F150s, Tahoes, Mercedes, etc.  Is everyone a doctor or attorney down here?  $800 - $1000 a month payment for a pick up truck.  WTF
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By brianb860:

State Farm just notified me that they'll be canceling my auto policy when it comes up for renewal. Said I filed too many claims. Filed one in 2021 to repair a chip in my windshield. And filed one in 2023 for roadside assistance that resulted in a tow. No tickets, no accidents, no other claims. They still want my homeowners policy, but their renewal quote is 73% higher than last year because I lose the multi-policy discount. Good times.
View Quote

Total crap.  Gotta have insurance but you can't use it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Not hijacking the thread as it's somehow related.

How does the FEMA flood insurance work in general?
I'm not in a flood zone, but there is a small pond behind my house. Neighbors said the area never flooded, but there is also construction going on the turnpike which borders the pond on the other side. They are adding extra lanes. Currently the canal going under the highway is blocked off due to the construction. I'm afraid the construction fuckery happening on the turnpike may somehow cause trouble when we get bad rain. To be clear, the water level would have to go up few feet to be a problem.

TLDR: How does one obtain flood insurance if not in a flood zone? How much does it cost and do I have to get it through my home insurance or is it done separately with FEMA?
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 6:03:37 PM EDT
[#18]

I'm not in a flood zone, but there is a small pond behind my house. Neighbors said the area never flooded, but there is also construction going on the turnpike which borders the pond on the other side. They are adding extra lanes. Currently the canal going under the highway is blocked off due to the construction. I'm afraid the construction fuckery happening on the turnpike may somehow cause trouble when we get bad rain. To be clear, the water level would have to go up few feet to be a problem.

TLDR: How does one obtain flood insurance if not in a flood zone? How much does it cost and do I have to get it through my home insurance or is it done separately with FEMA?
View Quote

I am not a flood insurance expert.  I can only tell you how it worked for me.  If it is not mandated by your lender (if you have one) I believe you can buy it from your home insurance company.

For me it was my first home and it may have had something to do with my type of loan at the time.  Because my home was in a "flood plane" my mortgage lender mandated that I purchase flood insurance.  In my situation Fema was my only option.  A few months after moving in I found out my neighbor had a surveyor assess his property years prior.  The surveyor deemed the home was not in the flood plane and had no flood risk.  He got his home remove by Fema, no more flood insurance!

So, I hired a surveyor to do the same.  He submitted a detailed application to Fema to have my home removed as a flood risk.  He noted the water level would have to me 13 feet high to affect my home.  Fema denied it!!  There was nothing I could do but keep paying them.  In my 5th year living there by the time I sold the place the flood insurance pretty much quadrupled.  Nothing you can do about it because they have you by the short hairs.

My advice would be if you think you need flood insurance look into it but steer clear of Fema.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By S58DRIVER:
my wife bought a new 2024 X4 M40i yesterday for Father's Day..lol...I have 2023 M3 Compatition and we have a 2012 XTERRA PRO 4X.. for surfboards, dog transport, shitty weather

$2400 every 6 months...
View Quote

How much is the g80 comp? @S58DRIVER
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

I’m not in a flood zone. When we first moved here, the homeowners carrier was able to add a rider to the policy for flood coverage. It was cheaper than FEMA’s option would have been. We weren’t sure about it so we added it just in case. After we got 22” of rain during Ian and were fine, I canceled it on the next renewal.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 2:48:12 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Maybe with a license plate reader, but coming from experience it's hard to run plates and drive while looking for insurance coverage. If they haven't paid, they'll get an FR suspension and then their tag/DL will come back suspended, but the LPR cameras make it SO much easier. I have a buddy that has one who will call me sometimes while he's working construction details and I'll hear it go off constantly. He said he gets 50-60 hits per shift for suspended licenses, habitual traffic offenders, no insurance, expired tags, stolen tags, etc.

Same on the costs, too. 2003 4Runner, 257,000 miles and I drive it like 5k, maybe 10k a year. My insurance is $114.98 a month now
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 4:15:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Try having a teenage daughter. If you want to feel violated start paying my insurance.

Daniel
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 8:25:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By AGR1279:
Try having a teenage daughter. If you want to feel violated start paying my insurance.

Daniel
View Quote

I am almost there.  My son is working on getting his permit.  I don't know what I'm going to do.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 9:49:41 AM EDT
[#24]

Total crap.  Gotta have insurance but you can't use it.
View Quote

Yep. I switched home & auto to AAA yesterday. It was nice not having to go through a broker.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:

2003 4Runner, 257,000 miles and I drive it like 5k, maybe 10k a year. My insurance is $114.98 a month now
View Quote

2023 4runner TRD ORP $758.60 or $126 a month. Full coverage 100/300/100. That's bundled with home and paid in full discount though. I do feel your pain though. I hated insuring my vehicles when I lived in FL.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Tobysi:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tobysi:
Originally Posted By S58DRIVER:

$2400 every 6 months...

I think it was around $1800 every 6 months..100/300 cover with UM of course. I am 57, wife  just turn 50..geico for 20 plus yrs..no bundle..home is with Citizens..ugh
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 5:55:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Insurance Fraud is a major factor. When you have slap on the wrist punishment for organized schemes to defraud. We get fucked over.

A crooked doctor and eight to ten willing morons equal hundreds of thousands of dollars. What typical happens is the organizer gets eight to ten people and have them stage a wreck. Local PD is called and does the report. Crooked doctor gets every party involved to sign blank treatment forms. The doctor milks the insurance company out of thousands of dollars per involved party due to personal injury protection. The involved parties get a couple hundred bucks, the doctor gets a couple of grand, and organizer makes the majority of it.

And they do it over and over again. Day in and day out.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 4:58:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Just the tolls alone have those camera for reading license plates.
Mount a .50 cal on top of the structure.

Each plate it scans should be processed to check for valid insurance.
No insurance and bam, the .50 gets turned on.

Next, implement something similar at the border.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:

Maybe with a license plate reader, but coming from experience it's hard to run plates and drive while looking for insurance coverage. If they haven't paid, they'll get an FR suspension and then their tag/DL will come back suspended, but the LPR cameras make it SO much easier. I have a buddy that has one who will call me sometimes while he's working construction details and I'll hear it go off constantly. He said he gets 50-60 hits per shift for suspended licenses, habitual traffic offenders, no insurance, expired tags, stolen tags, etc.

Same on the costs, too. 2003 4Runner, 257,000 miles and I drive it like 5k, maybe 10k a year. My insurance is $114.98 a month now
View Quote

The only way I could really see strict enforcement making a difference for the decent people that actually pay for insurance is if they started seizing and selling the cars of uninsured drivers.  Incarcerating them costs taxpayer money, fining people that don't have any money is probably a waste of time, and suspending their driver's license won't stop them from driving.

I'm not saying that strict enforcement shouldn't happen, but I don't see it making a financial difference for people like us with the laws structured as they are.  It merely inconveniences uninsured drivers.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 5:54:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Milspec99] [#30]
Originally Posted By Gilly:

The only way I could really see strict enforcement making a difference for the decent people that actually pay for insurance is if they started seizing and selling the cars of uninsured drivers.  Incarcerating them costs taxpayer money, fining people that don't have any money is probably a waste of time, and suspending their driver's license won't stop them from driving.

I'm not saying that strict enforcement shouldn't happen, but I don't see it making a financial difference for people like us with the laws structured as they are.  It merely inconveniences uninsured drivers.
View Quote

Something needs to be done and these people need to be held accountable.  It is another episode of "rules for thee but not for me".  We have enough of this crap in this country already.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#31]
I agree. 3 years ago I was hit by an uninsured illegal. He actually had a license. He had fake tags and no insurance. I could not get the officer to write him a no insurance ticket. I was able to talk the prosecutor into adding the charge.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 8:55:21 AM EDT
[#32]

Something needs to be done and these people need to be held accountable.  It is another episode of "rules for thee but not for me".  We have enough of this crap in this country already.
View Quote

I agree, I just don't know how to accomplish it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Florida is the insurance fraud capital of the USA.  Reduce fraud, and rates for everyone will go down.   It's going to be very tough to address.  

To stop the auto grift? - Require annual vehicle inspections where proof of insurance is required - no insurance, no inspection, illegal to drive the vehicle.    Yes, determined scumbags can wiggle through the process, but it would help tremendously.   This will help vet drivers and also get a lot of shitboxes off the road.

Stop runaway awards for injuries? - Limit liability awards to no more than $750,000K unless documentable costs for (long term) treatment/care are higher.  (All trial attorneys will oppose this, and the politicians they pay off will never support it.)  

Link Posted: 6/22/2024 10:44:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PR361] [#34]
I remember the happy days of $130 a month car insurance.

Right now, I’m paying for my car, wifes car, 22 yo sons car and storage insurance to keep the tag alive on my old truck I’m building.

$560 a month from State Farm.

A few years back we were up to $900 after the wife totaled her car.

ETA: There’s good reason that John Morgan and Dan Newlin have offices in every city and neighborhood.

Easy money.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 11:35:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Mojo_Jojo:
Florida is the insurance fraud capital of the USA.  Reduce fraud, and rates for everyone will go down.   It's going to be very tough to address.  

To stop the auto grift? - Require annual vehicle inspections where proof of insurance is required - no insurance, no inspection, illegal to drive the vehicle.    Yes, determined scumbags can wiggle through the process, but it would help tremendously.   This will help vet drivers and also get a lot of shitboxes off the road.
View Quote

Negative - you're just trading one form of fraud for another.  Having grown up in a state that had yearly inspections, they did away with them a few years ago because they were simply state-sanctioned grift.   Everyone in town knew where to go to "pass", many seedy shops would find things wrong just to fix it.  

The easiest way to get things under control would be to end no-fault insurance.   There was a bill overwhelmingly passed (SB54) a couple years back to do this - and it was vetoed by Gov.  The insurance companies want no-fault to end, the trial attorneys and medical practices do not.  

We have 7 cars insured, 1 RV, 1 boat and paying around $700/mo right now all in.  It helps that 3 of them are on classic car insurance and rarely get driven.   Back in 2020 with the same vehicles it was $350/mo.    

Link Posted: 6/25/2024 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By ArmedBear:

Negative - you're just trading one form of fraud for another.  Having grown up in a state that had yearly inspections, they did away with them a few years ago because they were simply state-sanctioned grift.   Everyone in town knew where to go to "pass", many seedy shops would find things wrong just to fix it.  

The easiest way to get things under control would be to end no-fault insurance.   There was a bill overwhelmingly passed (SB54) a couple years back to do this - and it was vetoed by Gov.  The insurance companies want no-fault to end, the trial attorneys and medical practices do not.  

We have 7 cars insured, 1 RV, 1 boat and paying around $700/mo right now all in.  It helps that 3 of them are on classic car insurance and rarely get driven.   Back in 2020 with the same vehicles it was $350/mo.    

View Quote
Yup, DeSantis killed that bill.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 1:37:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
View Quote

I wonder what excuse was given to veto it.
Sounds like it would solve most of the insurance problems here.
Did anyone try to bring it back to the drawing board?
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 2:59:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#38]
Originally Posted By Stitches1974:

2023 4runner TRD ORP $758.60 or $126 a month. Full coverage 100/300/100. That's bundled with home and paid in full discount though. I do feel your pain though. I hated insuring my vehicles when I lived in FL.
View Quote

$1500 on a 2019 F150, bundled, clean driving record. $1000 deductible, actually I think I bumped it to $1500, which is the highest they would go.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 4:18:44 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

His stance was that if FL ditched no-fault, then no one would get insurance.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 5:58:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmedBear] [#40]

View Quote

Not yet.

The rationale is that the poorest/least educated groups would have their insurance skyrocket.  I believe that it would have too.  Rightly so - as they're the ones most likely to already not have insurance or have poor credit.  Therefore their insurance would rise to compensate for the higher risk, while the people who carry insurance and drive responsibly would have a decrease.  

The logic used is that with the rates rising drastically on those least able to handle it, they'd just skip insurance (as they already do!) and we'd be no better off.  

It's wrong though, as the middle class and responsible parties would be better off, in some cases significantly so.  

In a contributory insurance (49/50 states), the wreck % fault is determined by a legal designee (LEO).   If I cause a wreck due to negligence, I/my insurance pays for all costs.  Or in a proportional amount.  Or even if someone else t-bones me, and I'm not at fault, they/their insurance pays 100%.  

No-fault does not assign fault, to get someone else to pay for a wreck they caused requires going to court and suing them to determine fault.  

No-fault it so poor every other state has gone away from it, yet here we are in FL still holding onto it because the lobbying efforts of medical and legal practitioners.
The insurance companies even want No-fault gone, as the drastic reduction in fraudulent claims from PIP (my neck/my back hurts) will result in many savings for insurers.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#41]

Not yet.

The rationale is that the poorest/least educated groups would have their insurance skyrocket.  I believe that it would have too.  Rightly so - as they're the ones most likely to already not have insurance or have poor credit.  Therefore their insurance would rise to compensate for the higher risk, while the people who carry insurance and drive responsibly would have a decrease.  

The logic used is that with the rates rising drastically on those least able to handle it, they'd just skip insurance (as they already do!) and we'd be no better off.  

It's wrong though, as the middle class and responsible parties would be better off, in some cases significantly so.  

In a contributory insurance (49/50 states), the wreck % fault is determined by a legal designee (LEO).   If I cause a wreck due to negligence, I/my insurance pays for all costs.  Or in a proportional amount.  Or even if someone else t-bones me, and I'm not at fault, they/their insurance pays 100%.  

No-fault does not assign fault, to get someone else to pay for a wreck they caused requires going to court and suing them to determine fault.  

No-fault it so poor every other state has gone away from it, yet here we are in FL still holding onto it because the lobbying efforts of medical and legal practitioners.
The insurance companies even want No-fault gone, as the drastic reduction in fraudulent claims from PIP (my neck/my back hurts) will result in many savings for insurers.
View Quote
Much like everything else... FL is fucking stupid. Ban on Open Carry. Still pushed No-Fault Insurance. Regulates everything to require a business license or certificate.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 8:28:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArmedBear] [#42]
Much like everything else... FL is fucking stupid. Ban on Open Carry. Still pushed No-Fault Insurance. Regulates everything to require a business license or certificate.
View Quote

The tourism industry runs the state and "guns be scary" scares off tourists.  The tourists driving down have to come through Georgia or Alabama to reach us, both open carry states and that doesn't seem to deter road tripping.  I bet we have open carry in this state in under a decade - Certainly thanks to efforts by you and your associated groups.  

Remember the liberal screeching when Jeb Bush signed the enhanced gun laws back in 2005?    

Everything requiring a license or registration is a relic of the shyster days of the state being inundated with out of state businesses after storms doing sub-par work and charging crazy rates.  Remember the trailers full of $2000/generators?  We had a lot of suspectible/gulliable senior citizens as well.  Not so much anymore though.  

One thing has gotten so much better in the past 10 years.   We have gone from a purple to a dark Red color and God-willing, it will remain that way for the rest of my lifetime.   I'll never stop fighting for it to be so either.  The FLDEMS are largely irrelevant.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:37:50 AM EDT
[#43]

The ban on open carry is a relic from the country-club Republican days, where the tourism industry runs the state and "guns be scary" scares off tourists.  The tourists driving down have to come through Georgia or Alabama to reach us, both open carry states and that doesn't seem to deter road tripping.  I bet we have open carry in this state in under a decade - Certainly thanks to efforts by you and your associated groups.  

Remember the liberal screeching when Jeb Bush signed the concealed carry law back in 2005?    

Everything requiring a license or registration is a relic of the shyster days of the state being inundated with out of state businesses after storms doing sub-par work and charging crazy rates.  Remember the trailers full of $2000/generators?  We had a lot of suspectible/gulliable senior citizens as well.  Not so much anymore though.  

One thing has gotten so much better in the past 10 years.   We have gone from a purple to a dark Red color and God-willing, it will remain that way for the rest of my lifetime.   I'll never stop fighting for it to be so either.  The FLDEMS are largely irrelevant.
View Quote

Jeb Bush did not sign CCW into law in 2005. That was Bob Martinez in 1987. Bush signed Stand Your Ground and removed the need to flee. The open carry ban is a relic of Democrat Janet Reno, not Republicans. The legislature in 1987 was Southern Dixiecrat Blue Dog Democrat controlled. Janet Reno convinced them to ban open carry during a special legislative session called by Gov. Martinez to repeal a sales tax on services. Janet Reno pushed the ides that open carry would allow Blacks in Overtown be uppity and violent. She was racist as hell.

Most Republicans in Florida are Democrats. They just run as registered Republicans since they wouldn't win as Republicans. The Democrats have gone too far to the Left for them to succeed. They're 1980s era Dixicrat Blue Dog Democrats. The Democrat Party has kicked them out, so they run as Republicans these days.

Link Posted: 7/9/2024 2:22:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Milspec99] [#44]

Link Posted: 7/9/2024 2:26:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Milspec99] [#45]

View All Quotes
Not yet.

It sounds like you have it right here.  The only state in the union still doing this.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:42:56 PM EDT
[#46]

Jeb Bush did not sign CCW into law in 2005. That was Bob Martinez in 1987. Bush signed Stand Your Ground and removed the need to flee. The open carry ban is a relic of Democrat Janet Reno, not Republicans. The legislature in 1987 was Southern Dixiecrat Blue Dog Democrat controlled. Janet Reno convinced them to ban open carry during a special legislative session called by Gov. Martinez to repeal a sales tax on services. Janet Reno pushed the ides that open carry would allow Blacks in Overtown be uppity and violent. She was racist as hell.

Most Republicans in Florida are Democrats. They just run as registered Republicans since they wouldn't win as Republicans. The Democrats have gone too far to the Left for them to succeed. They're 1980s era Dixicrat Blue Dog Democrats. The Democrat Party has kicked them out, so they run as Republicans these days.

View Quote
I've always been opposed to the .GOV taking away our rights (or restricting them) and then selling them back to us, by tacking on administration / registration fees.  I appreciate the work you do, Godspeed, brother JBT!!
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 2:04:00 PM EDT
[#47]
PIP Insurance is a good thing. just think about all the more people going to the ER with no insurance if PIP
went away.

Just look who sponsors network tv and radio the most. The State passed tort reform and that
should help, but there were years of suits to resolve before it will.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 6:36:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Banditman:
PIP Insurance is a good thing. just think about all the more people going to the ER with no insurance if PIP
went away.

Just look who sponsors network tv and radio the most. The State passed tort reform and that
View Quote
They go anyways. $10k in an ER is two Tylenol tablets, a blanket, and ice chips.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 9:03:16 PM EDT
[#49]
They go anyways. $10k in an ER is two Tylenol tablets, a blanket, and ice chips.
View All Quotes
went away.

nope they are only allowed to bill 2x the medicare rate. many times the bill will be below 10k. I have
paid 1000s of them while working a PIP desk
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 11:52:32 PM EDT
[#50]

nope they are only allowed to bill 2x the medicare rate. many times the bill will be below 10k. I have
View All Quotes
went away.

The auto-fraud rings with crooked doctors say otherwise. PIP is a money printing machine for a fraud organizer and a dirty doc. The PIP fraud is insane in FL.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top