Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2024 3:56:07 PM EDT
My dad ran a classic car business along 44 around the 200 mile marker between st James and Cuba. He sold muscle cars on the inside of the building and trucks outside the building. He had the building built around 1990 and shut it down around 2010. I don't know the exact dimensions off hand but wide enough to park cars down both sides on an angle and a line down the middle with plenty of room to open the doors. There is also an overhang with enough slab to park cars straight in. Length wise I'm guessing 60-70 yards. It's a very large metal building on a concrete slab.
  My dad passed away recently and I have to figure out what to do with it. I don't really want to sell it but it needs to generate enough income to pay the upkeep and taxes. I work 50 hours a week and I'm on call on weekends. In 6 years I might be able to do something different. What would be a reasonable amount to ask for rent if I find someone. Should I look into a property manager. Just brainstorming my options.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#1]
have some one open up a marijuana dispensarie

they have one in Chillicothe and every time i go past that place
it's full of cars .
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 1:47:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By cb69:
My dad ran a classic car business along 44 around the 200 mile marker between st James and Cuba. He sold muscle cars on the inside of the building and trucks outside the building. He had the building built around 1990 and shut it down around 2010. I don't know the exact dimensions off hand but wide enough to park cars down both sides on an angle and a line down the middle with plenty of room to open the doors. There is also an overhang with enough slab to park cars straight in. Length wise I'm guessing 60-70 yards. It's a very large metal building on a concrete slab.
  My dad passed away recently and I have to figure out what to do with it. I don't really want to sell it but it needs to generate enough income to pay the upkeep and taxes. I work 50 hours a week and I'm on call on weekends. In 6 years I might be able to do something different. What would be a reasonable amount to ask for rent if I find someone. Should I look into a property manager. Just brainstorming my options.
View Quote

Sorry about your dad. I remember driving by that place as a kid.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#3]
The guy that owns the local salvage yard is interested in renting it to sell vehicles. If not I'm seriously considering storage units.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 3:00:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm in Union up the road from your dad's place quite a ways, but it sure seems like storage units are making enough dough that a new one is being built every hundred yards or so.

Might be the best bet. Spread the risk of deadbeat renters across several units. And have a good contract to take possession of contents for quick turnaround.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry about your dad. He was a pistol. And you were a good kid at rti.

I would ballpark it at $5.00 a sq ft per year to start. Not my area of expertise so advice is worth what you paid.

I wish you well.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 3:29:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Storage units are big income.  Best way to get max return on the square footage of a building.

If not ready to invest to build out renting it is better than nothing and at least the person staying there has duty to upkeep to a point.

Top Top