Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2024 2:37:27 PM EDT
Must Read Alaska has a couple of stories about the park people banning the display of the United States of America flag on construction equipment working on the landslide inside Denali National Park.
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 11:11:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Do we have any better info then what has been put out so far.  Park super claims this did not happen!!  Being that the Park Super hails from OREGON, there might be some truth to this whole thing!
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 12:33:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LeonardC] [#2]
Wow!  Lots of traffic on the Must Read Alaska site since I posted this.  From one of the stories on that site is the following:

"The National Park Service's statement in full:

"Reports that a National Park service (NPS) official ordered the removal of an American flag from a Denali bridge construction worker's vehicle at Denali National Park are false.  At no time did an NPS official seek to ban the American flag from the project site or associated vehicles.  The NPS neither administers the bridge project contract, nor has the authority to enforce terms or policies related to the contract or contractors performing the work.  The American flag can be seen at various locations within Denali National Park - at park facilities and campsites, on public and private vehicles, and at employee residences - and we welcome its display this Memorial Day weekend and every day."

"The statement is carefully worded.  The order to not fly the flag was reportedly not on the job site itself, which is under the purview of the Federal Highway Administration, but when vehicles went to and from the job site on the Park Road, which goes through the park from the Parks Highway.  Must Read Alaska has verified the claim being made by construction workers, who stand by their version of the events."  End of quotations from the article.

I don't know what to think.  I will wait to see what all the "investigations" reveal.  If I have shared unproven (false) accusations against the NPS I apologize to them and the members on this site.  I will share more information as it is available.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Im more inclined to believe the roadway workers who would have zero incentive to try to stir up anything on a Davis Bacon job compared to a hippie Portland liberal
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Article posted today on Anchorage Daily News:

"After further review, it has been confirmed that a Denali National Park employee notified FHWA staff about a visitor's complaint of a flag 'flapping' on Denali Park Road and asked if there was an appropriate way to request it be detached from a contractor's vehicle to limit wildlife and visitor impacts," Christian said in a statement.  "The employee contacted the FHWA without authorization, and without the superintendent's knowledge.  Park officials have taken corrective actions to ensure future park and project communications follow proper procedures."
Link Posted: 6/1/2024 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe some 'entitled' people should stay home.  I always smile when I see our FLAG flown at construction stie!!!!!  Fly it PROUDLY!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top