Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2024 10:54:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AR15Texan]
I lived in Marietta for four months (1997) after I left the military so I never explored options back then.

I will be staying in Newnan, GA for four days at the beginning of July.  Can you recommend  decent spots at Lake Lanier or Lake Allatoona or other places to fish.  I would need to rent an air conditioned place by the water and rent a fishing boat.  A half day of jet ski rental too.  Would going to the coast be a better option?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 4:16:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PbSponge] [#1]
I'd go westpoint from Newnan but would look at booking a charter if it's that short a trip, money would be about the same or less than self guiding and would actually catch some stuff.

ETA:
Allatoona especially is a temperamental bitch of a lake, Lanier less so, but in the summer the striper somewhere in the main lake deep and if you aren't chasing them all the time can be spending all day figuring out where they're schooling.

I've sadly not been fishing enough this year to have good advice on either lake.
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 11:52:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks  I'll look into a charter.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 11:16:57 PM EDT
[#3]
It might be worth the drive up to fish the soque river as well in Clarksville, it's cheaper than renting a boat most likely though the trout are catch and release. Blackhawk is a jam up trout fishing operation.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 4:55:24 PM EDT
[#4]
As someone said West Point is closer to Newnan by a bit and you avoid driving through Atlanta.

It is only about 30-45 minutes to West Point Lake (La Grange) depending on where you go from Newnan.

You would do well to get a boat or fishing guide for a short stay - they seem to know where all the stripers/bass are.  Took my father out last year had a good time bringing lots of striper bass on a late June morning.  The Chattahoochee river is close to Newnan but it is shallow and if you want a boat it you need a boat with shallow draft - It has some gar in it - but never had much luck at Chattahoochee bend state park near Newnan but some have caught Gar and such there.

Link Posted: 7/19/2024 5:27:15 AM EDT
[#5]
The guide I called pussed out because of the rain.  Guess he didn't want to get wet.  Went to Stone Mountain and they were closed because of the rain too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top