Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2024 1:39:46 PM EDT
Planning family vacation to Jekyll Island in October, What to do / eat in the area? Museums, local attractions.. what you GA folks hiding over there?
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The wife and I were just down there for a few days.
The Wee Pub Beach Irish bar is a good place to eat and drink. Their hot wings, Cottage Pie (version of Shepherd Pie) and onion rings are very good. Also the only bar open after 10pm.

Zachry's Riverhouse is decent food, just don't order the appetizer Low Country Boil as it isn't worth the $22.

Tortuga Jacks Jekyll (BajaMex) is very good, including their breakfast.

Lots of historical buildings, some converted into museums or art galleries. Don't miss walking along Driftwood Beach (take bug spray with you).

Cell service on the island sucks, be forewarned.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:41:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to St Simons Island for food.  Many better selections and it's not too far away.  Beach at Jekyll and eat at St. Simons.

I'll be at Jekyll at the end of July for an annual Summer conference.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Jekyll is our favorite place to go as it isnt like other islands. Theres not much to really do, but plenty to see! Id bring or rent a bike and just ride around. The island isnt huge and is easy to ride around for hours. Driftwood beach and original homes on the island are the top two things people normally go to see. To me, its the best island to visit to just relax as there isnt a lot to do.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#4]
To me the wharf is better than Zacharys but it's been a couple years, I prefer Marshside to anything on the island. Driftwood bistro and the beach house are decent but not as good as Marshside. Brogans is good on St Simons, iguanas is well liked but I prefer the crab trap or crabdaddys. Stay away from Southern soul BBQ.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 4:38:49 AM EDT
[#5]
We went for a week last month.  First time I'd stayed down there and I had a really good time.  We rented one of the cottages kind of up by driftwood beach.  The beach at the cottage wasn't anything great, but their pool / clubhouse was nice and it was hard to get my 6 y/o out of there...

For food / drink, I really liked Silver Bluff Brewing in Brunswick, they had a trailer out front selling pizza and it was one of the better things we ate the whole time there.  A close second was the Wharf, It's at the Jekyll Island Club / Historical area and was really good.  It's right by the Georgia Sea Turtle Center which was really cool, we got to watch them put a GPS tracker in a snake.  We parked there and then walked all around that little area and did lunch.  We did Tortuga Jacks one night for dinner, the food was ok but I'd go back for the service, our waitress was awesome. We did the Wee Pub, which was really good. That little area has a bunch of shops and stuff as well.  It looked like they were putting in a splash pad, so that'll be fun when it's done.  We also went to the Beach House Restaurant and Tap Room, which was my worst experience.  The food wasn't very good and they did not have any beer.  The waitress said that the taps were down and just gave us the bare minimum effort, I got a big vibe that they don't much care for repeat service.  

The Jekyll Market was a good store, everyone is friendly and they had anything we needed.  

We went to St Simons one day and went to Porch, it continues to be one of my favorite places down there.  I really wanted to try Barrier Island Brewing but they weren't open when we went over there.  

Make sure you get your parking pass ahead of time.  When we got to Jekyll it was insane getting on the island.  We sat for about an hour to go three miles to get to the entrance to the island.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 7:29:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everyone so much for the great info.. definitely making notes of it all .
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 1:12:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By doomtrprz71:
….Stay away from Southern soul BBQ.
View Quote

It’s been a few years (just did the math over 12yrs since I was there last) what happened? I know they’ve gotten more publicity.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 10:38:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 7mm-08:

It's been a few years (just did the math over 12yrs since I was there last) what happened? I know they've gotten more publicity.
View Quote
I don't know I never ate before I was there for work, both times I've had the brisket it was dry and meh, once it was cold. The pork I had there was better but still not special. I'll admit I've gotten more snobbish on BBQ since that was the one redeeming thing from my time in Missouri but one of my coworkers lives on st Simons and he agrees, he hasn't been back since before COVID.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top