Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 8/21/2024 10:28:10 AM EDT
It's a very sad day for me.  I've been a member at this range for many years.  My dad used to take me here when I was just a kid.  This is where I taught my wife and kids to shoot.  I was wondering if anyone had any details.  I just have an email that states that is was not financially viable to keep the range open.  I'm hoping that the range doesn't go away.  I'm sure they can make alot of money on the land and that's probably what will happen.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 2:30:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Is that the one up by the dog pound? That was a cool range but I haven't been in several years. My Marine bro used to live in bountiful and we would meet there to shoot, but he moved to Nevada so I ended up more out past Corinne for shooting.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, it's just passed the animal shelter up the hill.  I guess I'll check into the Bountiful Lions range.  The Wahsatch range was just down the hill from my house in Layton.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:13:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Poltax] [#3]
Very sad day indeed.  I am a member.  If I lived in the County, I would be sure to let the Commissioners know that I would do everything I could to get them voted out of office.

The range is not closing completely.  It will now be used as a law enforcement range only.  I think their was some BS going on about the whole thing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 4:36:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Poltax:
The range is not closing completely.  It will now be used as a law enforcement range only.  I think their was some BS going on about the whole thing.
View Quote

I just saw something the other day from AZ where their only public range in the area was suddenly being closed down by the county and turned over to the local cops for their exclusive use as well. Real crappy behavior from elected officials who are meant to represent their constituents.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 4:02:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh it's not closing down, just a police range now. . . .
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 9:56:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TheTacticalCoyote:
Oh it's not closing down, just a police range now. . . .
View Quote
they do need the range time, based on what I've seen on YT from the LEO community.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:02:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grendelsbane] [#7]
https://www.ksl.com/article/51112390/davis-county-shooting-range-closed-after-contract-dispute-with-longtime-volunteers

KAYSVILLE — A popular shooting range is now closed to the public, as a contract between Davis County and a volunteer organization that runs the range ends Saturday without anyone to manage the site.

Davis County Auditor Curtis Koch and his team conducted a performance audit of the contract between the county and the Wahsatch Shooters Association, finding discrepancies between the agreed-upon terms and how the range was managed.

Kim Leavitt, association president, said the audit "lacks any semblance of objectivity" and was "aggressively one-sided with a pre-determined goal of eliminating (Wahsatch Shooters Association) which has diligently served the community and county."
Link Posted: 9/9/2024 10:31:16 AM EDT
[#8]
eliminate the public's ability to become proficient w/ firearms and those with a miniscule amount of proficiency will be able to overwhelm the public.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I believe the davis county commissioners got tired of the constant bullshit up there. I RO'd up there for 20 years. the shear amount of bullshit that kim and company allowed to happen up there was staggering. people were allowed to shoot 1000 yards. on a 100 yard range while running a business on the public range is just one of many flagrant violations. the management allowed this individual to set up targets next to the bonneville shoreline trail OUTSIDE the confines of the range and shoot toward the trail where people often hiked. its a fucking miracle someone didn't get killed. it didn't stop until I threatened to call the commission and let them know what the hell was going on. The whole goal of that range was to keep everyone safe. this is just one example of many that I personally witnessed up there.

as for the person that says that they are taking away a training range for the public. Dude you must not live here. there are many ranges in the area so get a grip on reality. the weber complex is far superior to WSA and have legit long range shooting so stop the drama my llama
Link Posted: 9/21/2024 10:33:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Too bad.   It was fairly close and I liked shooting up there.   Maybe someone will take over and get it going again.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Word on the range is that the County will be taking it over and reopening it back up.  They will have to hire someone to manage it.  The County had put out a request for bids to run the range, but no one replied.   I do not think this will happen in a very fast time frame.  Most likely sometime next year.
Link Posted: 10/11/2024 9:56:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By magilla:
I believe the davis county commissioners got tired of the constant bullshit up there. I RO'd up there for 20 years. the shear amount of bullshit that kim and company allowed to happen up there was staggering. people were allowed to shoot 1000 yards. on a 100 yard range while running a business on the public range is just one of many flagrant violations. the management allowed this individual to set up targets next to the bonneville shoreline trail OUTSIDE the confines of the range and shoot toward the trail where people often hiked. its a fucking miracle someone didn't get killed. it didn't stop until I threatened to call the commission and let them know what the hell was going on. The whole goal of that range was to keep everyone safe. this is just one example of many that I personally witnessed up there.

as for the person that says that they are taking away a training range for the public. Dude you must not live here. there are many ranges in the area so get a grip on reality. the weber complex is far superior to WSA and have legit long range shooting so stop the drama my llama
View Quote

No need to perpetuate rumors and give a false report of what was happening.

The issue with the 1000 yard target was shutdown as soon as the board was made aware of it.  I was at the WSA board meeting when that happened.  Nobody has ever been allowed to shoot outside the fence line.

WSA and the county had several issues on both sides.  WSA decided to pull out, and nobody was left to run the range.  There is a movement to get the range reopened, but government is extremely slow, budgets, etc.

Link Posted: 10/11/2024 10:19:25 AM EDT
[#13]
So I received a check in the mail for half a years dues.  I guess that's all she wrote until Davis County finds somebody to run the range.  They need to post a status report or something on the county website.
Link Posted: 10/11/2024 5:33:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By SFguy:
So I received a check in the mail for half a years dues.  I guess that's all she wrote until Davis County finds somebody to run the range.  They need to post a status report or something on the county website.
View Quote

Keep calling and messaging Davis county commissioners.  They need to feel the pressure or things will crawl along.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 3:35:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Just saw this post, so I am late to the party, also not a Ut resident

Any range that receives federal funding (sorry I do not know the federal law on this off the top of my head) is required to have public hours.

Link Posted: 10/21/2024 12:51:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Brings back a memory of when my range got shut down. Holladay range. Think it was 08 when it closed.  Quarry took it over
Link Posted: Yesterday 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Speaking of ranges, I just saw R&R Tactical in Saratoga Springs is building a new... building with an indoor range. That'll be nice, not having to drive 45min to a decent range.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top