User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2024 1:40:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:15:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Featureless] [#2]
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
Considering Napa for a weekend anniversary trip this summer.

Any recommendations on wineries to visit?  Places to stay?  

Easier to get in/out of SAF or SMF?
View Quote

I'm thinking you meant San Francisco not Santa Fe.  Sacramento would probably be more convenient - just a guess, though.  From SFO you'd need to get through the Bay area congestion and heavier traffic.  But flights may be fewer and/or more expensive to Sacramento.  We've stayed in Petaluma a couple of times, more for convenience and somewhat more reasonable prices.  We don't get there often and aren't wine "experts."  My daughter and son-in-law are sommeliers, so they focus on more specific wineries and wines than some that might be wine tourism oriented, etc.

Kind of avoiding Napa/Sonoma (to be a little more budget friendly and avoid  some of the more popular but touristy spots), From Petaluma we'd go north to the Healdsburg area then drive around the Dry Creek area.  W. Dry Creek Road going south gets to the Russian river area which you can follow to the coast at Jenner.  Healdsburg may not be as hectic as Sonoma, etc.  A pleasant town square to walk around.  we've visited Quivira Vineyards and Ridge Vineyards - Lytton Springs.  Quivira is a smaller vineyard and tasting room, Ridge Vineyards is part of a larger operation and has an interesting winey there, natural materials used in the building, like stacked hay bales.  Dry Creek General store has picnic lunch sandwiches, etc., but might be crowded on weekends. Lots of other places.  This is near Francis Ford Coppola, which is just the next exit north from Lytton springs road on the 101.

I'd consider reservations for tastings/tours/dining anywhere you choose to try if you can because many have limited facilities and walk-ins may not be possible.  It's a weekend getaway area for the Bay Area so busy.  also, much of the area is scenic so just driving spot to spot is enjoyable (we liked it) others may want a more focused wine experience with special favorites in wine types or specific wineries.  There are tours and driver services if wanted so drinking and driving can be less a concern.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
Considering Napa for a weekend anniversary trip this summer.

Any recommendations on wineries to visit?  Places to stay?  

Easier to get in/out of SAF or SMF?
View Quote

It's pricey, but worth it, and they will loan you and wifey bikes for free.  It's a little north in St. Helena, a smaller town, less people, and easy bike rides to wine tasting.
https://www.alilahotels.com/napa-valley/?src=corp_lclb_gmb_seo_apcal

We went to Grgich because the reservations thing wasn't a big deal and the wine was stupid good, but again pricey.
https://www.grgich.com/

We drove so I can't comment about the airports, but my guess would be Oakland for easy access to I80 to the 29 North.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 1:32:51 AM EDT
[#4]
There's a castle in Calistoga

https://castellodiamorosa.com/
Top Top