Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2024 9:29:32 PM EDT
Am working in Louisiana temporarily and am permanent residency in Texas. Spotted a Stoeger M2000 shotgun at a shop in Minden. Thought at one time that contiguous state residents could buy long arms.

Just wondering.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 8:54:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty sure

It has to shipped to your in state FFL

I bought one for Cabelas in DFW
But it has been a few years

Link Posted: 6/30/2024 8:50:31 AM EDT
[#2]
It's legal under federal law to sell a long gun to a resident of another state as long as the weapon is legal in both states, and as long as the sale is----i.e., if TX required a permit to purchase, which LA does not, then the sale would be illegal.  That said, many FFLs act stricter than the laws out of ignorance or fear of liability.  Heck, around a decade ago I had the staff of the Cabelas in Gonzales insist on doing a 4473 and NICS check on me for a black powder revolver.  As this was before Cabelas stopped selling them online, I took the risk of putting my CC info over the air to just order the thing on my phone to be shipped to my house, just to try to make a point to the idiots.
Link Posted: 7/5/2024 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Late to the discussion, but you are legal to purchase the shotgun (any long gun) from an FFL in LA and walk out the door once the form is approved.  That said, some FFLs don't know all the rules, and some big box stores may have lowest common denominator rules that won't allow clerks to sell to out-of-state'rs.  The contiguous state rule was dropped back in the 80's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top