Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2024 3:21:39 PM EDT
Head's up!

https://www.ammoland.com/2024/06/wisconsin-dnr-sued-for-unconstitutional-rule-on-firearms-possession/#axzz8cwCr4uAa
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:50:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 8:28:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rfb45colt] [#2]
The intent was to keep pistols out of tackle boxes, but it was worded too vaguely... as usual.

Shooting a big fish in the head to kill it before netting was a common practice. Both my dad and grandfather kept a pistol in their tackle boxes. I was 16 when shooting fish was outlawed.

If you're going to shoot a fish to kill it, make sure you do it while it's still in the water, not flopping around on the floor of your boat. ROFL... no, it wasn't me, nor did it happen in my boat... but we were on the same lake fishing one day when a FIB shot a gar with a .38 snubbie. In the boat.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 2:28:09 PM EDT
[#3]
My EX father in-law emptied a 15 rounds of 9mm into his john boat when a moccasin dropped out  of a tree into his john boat.
Link Posted: 6/20/2024 6:37:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Been checked twice with my CC gun on the dash of my boat while fishing on the lake. Both times had to move the gun to get to my wallet. Of course I pointed it out to the warden so he wouldn't freak out. One didn't say a thing other just thanked me for telling him. Neither one had an issue or said a thing about the pistol. This spring and last fall. Didn't even ask about my CC permit.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Not the first time the DNR made some over-reaching rule but this one is concerning.  Rule should say it’s prohibited to dispatch a fish with a firearm if thats their intent…not that you can’t possess a firearm near any water.

Remember that old rule that you couldn’t go shooting the Friday before gun deer season?
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 9:44:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JimEb:
Not the first time the DNR made some over-reaching rule but this one is concerning.  Rule should say it’s prohibited to dispatch a fish with a firearm if thats their intent…not that you can’t possess a firearm near any water.

Remember that old rule that you couldn’t go shooting the Friday before gun deer season?
View Quote

Is that true?  My uncle told me that a few years ago.  I had never heard of it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 3:56:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By USMARINE1108:

View Quote

The dnr had some delusion that everyone that owned a gun was a hardcore deer hunter.  So, unless you’re on some established range, you couldn’t shoot in your own backyard lest that temptation to pop a  buck a day early became too great.  Or something like that.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Why does the DNR think we're as stupid as they are?
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 8:01:12 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

You couldn't hunt upland birds either, on the friday before gun season opened. Because, you know, those grouse hunters carried slugs, in case that turdy-pointer got flushed by them dogs...

You also could not purchase a gun deer hunting license once the season opened. That prevented those cheap bastards who didn't want to spend $20 on a license, from hunting without one, and only buying one after  they shot their buck...
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JimEb:
View Quote

Pepperidge Farms remembers.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 8:10:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By kapusta:
View Quote

Guess you didn't go to college at UWSP eh?
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 8:45:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By kapusta:
View Quote

They don't think we are stupid. They think we are all criminal minded. Diametrically opposite to innocent until proven guilty.

If that was normal police would be able to ticket you for speeding if your car was capable of exceeding the speed limit.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 9:21:06 AM EDT
[#13]
When do they expect to see an outcome to this lawsuit?

I got two squirrel hunting/canoe camping trips planned for this fall.  I guess I may…or may not have to continue to not comply with this.  

Wonder if the wardens plan to post up at wetlands and write citations to every waterfowl hunter?
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

29.312  Rules regulating the sighting of a firearm.
(1)  In this section, “immediate family" means persons who are related as spouses, as siblings, or as parent and child.
(2) The department may not promulgate or enforce a rule that prohibits a person from sighting a firearm or airgun on land owned or leased by that person or a member of that person's immediate family during the 24-hour period prior to the opening date for hunting deer with firearms in any area where there is an open season for hunting deer with firearms.
History: 2003 a. 244; 2023 a. 115.

Just found this.  Apparently the dnr only got a slight hand slap on that.  You need to be the landowner/leasee or related to them to shoot the Friday before gun deer season.  They are still free to make rule to pinch you for shooting with a buddy at his house.  Wonder if pinched on public land you could successfully argue in court that as a state resident you are technically a landowner of that property.
Link Posted: 7/25/2024 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top