Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2024 11:40:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#1]

My property is good. Very little erosion damage that I've seen but I have gone into the woods to check my water crossings yet.

My road is still passable, but a bit thinner.  Numerous washouts eating the edges and tons of debris on the road.  I can luckily get out both ends of my road, but am technically on a closed portion of a state road once I leave mine.

It's a mess to say the least.  My town only has three dudes in the highway department.  Guy that is doing my finish dirtwork dropped his machines off yesterday and picked them back up this morning to pitch in.

135 is impassable in Monroe, Dalton, and Lancaster.  Ironic as they have been doing a ton of work to the Lancaster part in preperation for paving.

The fire departments and others have been posting some crazy pics.  and that's on top of the videos that are on WMUR (Dalton the general region).  I can't physically go to the town just north of me without maybe a hour trip around the damage-should cut in half tomorrow, but major roads are physically gone.  

My road about a half mile uphill from me-my strip is actually the best part of the road:
Attachment Attached File

A dirt road in Dalton:
Attachment Attached File

Lancaster:
Attachment Attached File

Littleton:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 12:38:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I really want to know the story of the Rav 4 half in the hole
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 1:03:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FDC] [#3]
Looks like it's the new social media craze.

*but seriously, heard some scanner calls about roads collapsing under vehicles.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Holy shit, that RAV4 got very lucky.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#5]
wow, I havnt seen much on the Berlin/Gorham side but several coworkers didn't make it in to work today, I guess they got trapped by trees down, flodded roads and what not.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By steve8140:
View Quote

Not really, the latest pictures on WMUR show that RAV4 vertically down at the bottom of that wash-out.
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll be canoeing the Saco this weekend. Might have a hard time finding a beach to camp on.

Walkers rapid might be fun though!
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 5:18:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By LenS:

Not really, the latest pictures on WMUR show that RAV4 vertically down at the bottom of that wash-out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LenS:
Originally Posted By steve8140:

Yeah, they finally got it pulled out yesterday late afternoon.  It had fallen.

https://www.nhpr.org/nh-news/2024-07-11/flooding-sweeps-through-northern-nh-following-overnight-storms

There is literally no way for the ambulance coming from Whitefield or fire coming from Dalton to get to my corner of town.  I'm playing it safe with fire for a bit.

Also no way for the mail to get here.  I feel for my poor mail lady when they are finally able to deliver the backlog.  Poor gal and her three Nissan Frontiers can't even get from her house to the post office.  I put a hold on my mail, and will wander over to Whitefield and pick it up late next week.  

The fire chief(volunteer) has taken the lead on the communications effort here.  All the excavation contractors who live in town are helping with the roads.  One of them had his stuff at my place to do some work--came in via ATV and tracked(not trailered) them off my place to go clear roads.

I'm lucky as heck though as I can get out of my place and go south towards Littleton.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 5:19:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JCoop:
I have family in Monroe and the surrounding area. Some of them are isolated. Can't get out and nobody can get in.
View Quote

Lots of cut off folks in the area.

Link Posted: 7/13/2024 6:32:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks like 135 between Littleton and Lancaster will be a no go for a month.  With the way DOT fixed 302 after last year's flood I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit faster.

"Rt 135/ Dalton rd still has local traffic only from Blakslee rd to Dalton country store. State Police are monitoring this area. Estimated repair time is 2 weeks or more
Rt 135 at Union rd and Cushman brook will be closed for up to 4 weeks as a temporary bridge is being brought in to span that location. "

Can't get to the Gilman bridge to jump over to the Vermont side without a few miles of random dirt roads that are still being worked on either.

The positive there is I see less traffic on my road and less bud light and twisted tea cans to pick up.
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 6:29:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FDC] [#13]
Thats a pretty long stretch of road!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FDC:
Looks like 135 between Littleton and Lancaster will be a no go for a month.
Thats a pretty long stretch of road!

Yep.

The problem is it can be hard to hit the bypass on the Vermont side.  

The Dalton break was just prior to the Gilman bridge so that is out for northbound.  Saw it today and there is an excavator so deep in there, you can barely see it working.

The Lancaster break-saw they're looking at 3 weeks there, is north of the Mount Orne bridge.

So many of the easy Vermont side bypasses are gone simply due to where the breaks are.  The dirt side roads are opening up though.

The good news is the town crew and the local contractors have made most of the town roads at least passable.  Not everyone can get out of their driveways yet, but it's getting there.

All in all, it looks like we're pretty lucky in NH.  Some inconvenience and that's it.  The Vermont side got slammed worse than us.  Again. Those poor commie bastards.  Unfortunately most of the affected folks in VT are probably good peeps.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top