Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2024 5:16:03 AM EDT
I had always assumed they were off duty police...turns out they are not.  

https://www.wsmv.com/2024/07/02/state-issues-62-violations-against-company-accused-allowing-imposter-cops-nashville-streets/

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WSMV) - The Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance is requesting the immediate suspension of a Mt. Juliet company’s license, alleging they allowed civilians to wear police identification and use red and blue lights in non-police vehicles.

The state agency filed a notice of hearing and charges with an administrative law judge, citing 62 violations against the security company Solaren.

Solaren, and its owner Jack Byrd, have been at the center of WSMV4's “Thin Blurred Line” investigation, which exposed how the company is accused of allowing imposter police officers to work at the Opry Mills Mall and in downtown Nashville.

Our investigation also linked the company to the embattled police department in Millersville and how Byrd, a civilian, also wore police identification and had a police commission card.

Our investigation uncovered one of the people employed by the company and allowed to wear a police uniform is a felon.

According to the state’s civil violations, of the 50 people Solaren allowed to wear police badges and uniforms, only five were actually off-duty police officers.

The state’s filing also cites eleven instances where Solaren allowed blue and red light modifications on private security vehicles, even though only police vehicles are allowed to have those lights.

Byrd issued a statement to WSMV4 Investigates, writing in part, “Solaren plans to vigorously defend itself through the administrative process. At this point, we’re seeking relief by all legal means at our disposal to rectify the shortcomings of the Department of Commerce and Insurance.”

More at the link

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Hehe,...  I have encountered the owner.  I am not surprised in the least bit.  

I am surprised he has been in business this long.
Link Posted: 7/4/2024 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Trash mall.  Don't go there.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 8:37:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I’m guessing this is one of those ‘power perceived is power achieved’ things.

We used to go to BPS every now and then but their prices are too high and the rest of the mall is trash. Meh. Big city problems.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 10:56:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By romad99:
I was asked to leave that mall last year because a police dog allegedly smelled that I had a firearm on me.  I was approached by a mall cop, and what appeared to be a real cop.  I had entered through one of the stores, and never saw a "no firearms sign" but I left when asked.  

That was the last time I went there.
View Quote

I haven't been there in ages, but the last time I checked (many years ago) their method of posting the mall entrances was not in compliance with state law.  To find the posting, you had to find their 'mall rules' sign, which meant you were well inside the door, then read down through the list until you got to the weapons rule.  Off the top of my head, that's the only Nashville mall that I can remember having a gang-related shooting inside (supposedly a turf war, after one gang lost the Hickory Hollow mall and wanted to take that mall from the gang that had already claimed it).
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 10:13:28 AM EDT
[#6]
This story is way bigger than that, and it's been brewing for over a year now.

They basically got buy-in from a tiny police department that then special officered a TON of people, who then turned around and went to work for this cat so he could charge law enforcement rates and direct traffic on public streets which, private security can't do - lot of money flagging around utilities to be made.

Would have been sort of ok, except some of them took their special deputation a little too seriously. That was what got them across the radar initially. Then a news outlet picked up the story and ripped them apart.

oh well.

State of TN is getting ready to start pruning part-time/reserve/aux police based on the increasing number of them getting called onto the POST carpet.
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 4:40:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I was asked to leave that mall last year because a police dog allegedly smelled that I had a firearm on me.  I was approached by a mall cop, and what appeared to be a real cop.  I had entered through one of the stores, and never saw a "no firearms sign" but I left when asked.  

View Quote

LOL.....last time I was at the mall there was a black guy with a tennis ball.....he bounced it in front of that fur missile and he went crazy.  Rent a cop asked him to stop and the guy said your dog does not like black people.  The rent a cop left quickly from the area.  

So...did you have a gun on you?  I noticed the Bass Pro store now has a sign on their doors that go to the mall.  Don't think they were there a few months ago.
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 8:31:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 11:26:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By The_Syndicate:

LOL.....last time I was at the mall there was a black guy with a tennis ball.....he bounced it in front of that fur missile and he went crazy.  Rent a cop asked him to stop and the guy said your dog does not like black people.  The rent a cop left quickly from the area.  

So...did you have a gun on you?  I noticed the Bass Pro store now has a sign on their doors that go to the mall.  Don't think they were there a few months ago.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By The_Syndicate:

My memory may be off, but I think Bass Pro put a sign on (or by?) the doors that go to the mall, around the time the mall reopened after the 2010 flood.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 9:38:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Prae] [#10]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:
I'm guessing this is one of those 'power perceived is power achieved' things.

We used to go to BPS every now and then but their prices are too high and the rest of the mall is trash. Meh. Big city problems.
View Quote
Yep.  I drive by it on a weekly basis typically to avoid Nashville traffic.  I'd rather be beaten than stop into that place.
Top Top