Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 6/8/2024 2:58:12 PM EDT
I watched this come in from about 200 yards out. It moved somewhat fast and erratically.  Stopping and digging occasionally and came towards me following the fence line towards the barn. I don't shoot unless I know what animal it is I'm shooting at.
I've been putting a hurting on coons here recently taking 15 in two days, and when I was out there I was confident it was a coon. I made a solid hit on my first shot and third shot. I think my second shot was a little high. First hit was at 50 yards and the second hit in the third video was at 85 yards. I assumed I dropped it in its tracks after that third shot and went down to grab it. There was nothing there. I looked around for about 30 min lastnight and went back out looking this morning for another 30 mins or so and found nothing. I haven't baled yet so the grass is 4' high and hard to see through.

The first shot was a direct head or neck hit and the third shot was a solid upper body shot.

Wife thinks it was an armadillo by the way it moved, how fast it was, and how long its face and ears were when she watched the videos. The ears looked bigger than a coon in the second video and this thing was tough to take two solid vital shots and keep moving. In the second video, the far left gong is 4", the center gong is 8" and the third gong is 8". It stopped right below that set of targets to give you an idea of its size and for its ears.

Ammo was CCI 40gr hp. I've never had a coon or any pest for that matter take hits like that and keep moving. Now I'm second guessing myself on what exactly this was.

So coon or armadillo? Or something else?

Link Posted: 6/8/2024 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/8/2024 11:32:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Possum. Are there Dillos in Iowa?
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 12:22:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I've lived in Iowa my whole life besides Military service and I've never heard of a armadillo in Iowa, let alone seen one but after looking it up there have been sightings and found roadkill armadillos.

ive seen a bunch of opossums. The movement on this was entirely different. Way to fast and erratic.
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 11:53:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like he has some big ears whatever it is
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Obviously a Chupacabra.
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 10:43:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AtLarge:
Possum. Are there Dillos in Iowa?
View Quote

Agreed. At the shot it moves like a wounded possum. Armadillos have been seen at least as far north as Iowa City. Not common, but there have been some.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By shack357:

Agreed. At the shot it moves like a wounded possum. Armadillos have been seen at least as far north as Iowa City. Not common, but there have been some.
View Quote

One showed up in Traer last year.

DNR has presumed that possibly they are hitching rides in livestock trailers
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 11:19:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:
Originally Posted By shack357:

Very possible scenario.
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#10]
https://www.kcrg.com/2024/07/29/why-are-armadillos-showing-up-iowa-one-wildlife-expert-weighs/

“We’ve been keeping, you know, good records for the last six years that have indicated about 12 to 24 sightings per year, verifiable across the state.” said Coffey.

Just came across this and remembered this thread.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I have two homes, one in Melcher-Dallas, and another in Sarasota. Looks like an armadillo to me, I see (and shoot) them all the time in Florida.
Like feral cats, all you have to do is wound them and they run off and die elsewhere.
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I forgot to update this thread.
We cut the fields for hay after those videos and I never came across anything. I kept my eyes open for anything that would stand out, was hoping to find anything that would clear it up. In the predator hunting forum I posted in, some long time coyote hunters think it was a late brood coyote pup.
I'm afraid we will never get 100% confirmation on what it was unless I stumble upon a dillo shell or something.
Thanks for the info gents.
Link Posted: 8/1/2024 8:19:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I saw a roadkill Armadillo east of Knoxville a couple weeks ago…
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top