Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2024 3:39:12 PM EDT
Just looking for some preliminary recommendations. I might be assisting the family in liquidating a good sized collection. There is a good chance most of it will go to family members but i am sure it all wont. Is there anyone trusted to handle a midsized firearms, knives, military swords collection near roughly Gainsville Florida?

Also, does anyone know if i will have any trouble selling to a Florida FFL since i am not a Fl resident?
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 1:09:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By dana:
Just looking for some preliminary recommendations. I might be assisting the family in liquidating a good sized collection. There is a good chance most of it will go to family members but i am sure it all wont. Is there anyone trusted to handle a midsized firearms, knives, military swords collection near roughly Gainsville Florida?

Also, does anyone know if i will have any trouble selling to a Florida FFL since i am not a Fl resident?
View Quote

If I was closer, I could be of more help.  (I am an FFL about 4 hours south).

You would not have any problem selling to an FFL.   You would not be able to sell privately however without some type of FL ID.  Must be a FL to FL.

Unfortunately I do not know anyone up that way. So cant help you there.

On the swords, if you had any questions, I could help you on value / estimates with some pictures. (I don't really sell them, but I do collect personally).  

Gun wise, look at gunbroker sold auctions, see what the market is commanding and then understand that it cost money to list and that gunbroker takes a % fee. They have a calculator you can use to determine exact costs.

After that, the dealer is going to want to make something. Factor that in and whatever % markup you feel is fair.  Expect about 20% for a competitive dealer.   If 40%+  find another dealer.

Link Posted: 7/24/2024 9:40:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: deputygadget] [#2]
Buddy of mine’s dad in law runs a little auction company that runs auctions in the keystone heights area north and east of Gville. They do guns through an FFL and heave internet bidding. I’m shocked at the prices he is able to pull on even run of the mill firearms. I’ve showed up to a few auctions and never went home with anything prices were ridiculous. Seller gets all of that minus the dealer cut. He has done militaria swords flags etc in the past.

Not sure what you are looking at. NFA items transferables? Collector stuff? Over 100 items? If you want contact info let me know via email or messenger. I’m actually an FFL/SOT in Gville but estate stuff isn’t my gig.
Link Posted: 8/2/2024 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Plenty of options out there, depending on what is left after the family takes their shares:

1) walk into a gun store with a handful of guns. Either sell them outright or have them sell them for you on commission.

2) Contact a Florida auctioneer. Gun Auctions USA out of Largo would likely come get them from you.

3) Sell to one of the big national internet auctioneers. Bryant Ridge will come get your collection then list it all on Gunbroker.

4) If the collection has a bunch of class III, engraved big game rifles or the like, Rock Island Auction will send a couple of guys in a rental box truck for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top