Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#1]
It's great getting to hear all of the opinions and points I hadn't thought of. The basic scenario was just that, basic and I hadn't thought out any details. You all have really opened my eyes to some situations that I hadn't thought of. I will use your responses to make my family aware of possibilities. Great stuff!
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 5:38:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Too vague of an incident description to say whether I would walk or drive home along the railroad tracks in this specific situation.

But doing so is one of my contingency plans.

Link Posted: 2/3/2013 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Sure railroads could be utilized if need be . They run right by my hse .
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#4]
10 miles is not a lot.  A map, good walking shoes or boots, jacket, hat, water, flashlight, cell phone, cash.

Keep a low profile, anything appearing unusual should be under the jacket or maybe in a pack.

For me, a walk home from work is 12 miles across a bad part of town, and I usually work the swing shift so it would likely be at night.

I might instead try to check into a nearby motel, or wait at work until dawn.  Walk through the bad areas as soon after dawn as possible; these bad parts of town are usually hopping all night and then shut down during the morning.

Link Posted: 2/3/2013 6:38:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Having done the clusterfuck known as Hurricane Rita BO, where traffic was gridlocked, people were running out of gas, panicking, etc... If we are talking on foot, I'd just keep to the highway. Here's why. In the immediate aftermath of an event that has everyone panicked and stuck in traffic that isn't going anywhere, no one is going to notice or care about a lone dude walking past them as long as he keeps walking and doesn't screw with them. This is immediate aftermath, you don't have gangs setting up checkpoints and ambushes, everyone is confused and just wants their cars to move again. Keep walking past them, no one is going to screw with you. They haven't yet realized that shit has all broken down, and are not organized, and are not thinking tactically. They are still thinking the rules and laws of civilization apply, and it is not yet OK to simply jack a foot traveller - especially if there are alot of other people around who will see.

You can make that walk. No one will screw with you. And if they do, well, that's what you're armed for... This has played out in MANY disasters, and it doesn't generally devolve into violence. People just keep walking and don't screw with other people who are walking.

10 miles is not that far. Just keep walking and make it a one day thing.

(I am assuming that vehicle transport is out... if not then always choose vehicle transport)
Link Posted: 2/3/2013 7:30:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Sometimes I work more than 60 miles from home.Other days I work less than 4.I need to put together 2 bags
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 5:39:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:You may know that you are only pulling up the rifle scope to take a closer look at him, but what is he thinking you're doing?  You may have no intentions of harming him, but how best to demonstrate this without putting yourself in more harm?

"Intent" has been set with that kindof gesture, and I'd be thinking the offender is engaging.
Best to use a friggin binocular to get a better looksy instead of pointing a weapon. And shame on ya for admittin' it if ya don't have one.
Proper firearms safety and common courtesy have a place in almost every situation.
No sense lookin for, OR ignorantly starting trouble.

No intentions of starting trouble.  But honestly, do you think that the OP has had the exact thought that you posted about being properly equipped?  If I was trying to pack light, binocs may be on the bottom of my list.  I only intended to point out a scenario which may be encountered without the proper equipment where the OPer may be placed in danger.  One can only have so much gear on them.  Knowledge beats having all possible gear any day of the week.

Hey babes, I ain't "fluffin up". Just statin' fact.
And I hold fast to my original statement. Just because some individual doesn't wanna spend the coin or carry the weight doesn't give them the right to use their weapon in a threatening and unsafe manner(see the number one rule of gun safety below). Ya know, like pointing it at someone 'cause they wanna see if they "look ok". I will have a binocular, and be very regularly glassing. Always do when afield in any situation. I've caught "deer hunters" scoping me over the years and we've had some lively "discussions" over their ignorance. I can't imagine that being any more acceptable if the situation were more "tense". Not tryin to jack the thread, but this is a pet peeve and a way too commonly made mistake. And one that could easily lead to an unnecessary situation were some event to raise stress levels.  If a person doesn't have the gear, then use the eyes and be content with that.

From the NRA gun safety rules:
1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
This is the primary rule of gun safety. A safe direction means that the gun is pointed so that even if it were to go off it would not cause injury or damage. The key to this rule is to control where the muzzle or front end of the barrel is pointed at all times. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.
I'm thinkin that "direction" ain't mine.!!

Link Posted: 2/4/2013 4:12:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
All you guys saying get home fast need to slow down a bit. Movement catches the eye. Stay in the woods next to the highway, rail, bike path, whatever. Take your time, stop every so often and listen, check behind you, look around.

What exactly are you trying to avoid?  Do you really think 24-48 post any SHTF situation that forces you to walk home that everyone will suddenly turn into jackals?  Desperation will eventually settle in if the scenario is extended but the first couple of days will be filled with people trying to help each other out and do the right thing.  Walk your ass home as soon as possible by the most direct route.  Heck, 10 miles and I'd be home in under two hours.

Fuck RR tracks.  Around here we have canals.  If the car is a no go, I am taking canals home.  I know the pattern well enough to find the *OpSec*-*Not-gonna-tell-you* canal, which crosses within about two miles from my house.  THe bank of a canal is always level, graded ground smooth enough for the pansy ass water control people to drive their leather trimmed, limited edition SUV's on to make sure no endangered salamander smelt have wandered into the waterway.  While not perfectly direct, they run roughly the direction I need from where I am likely to be, and I know if I am going upstream, I am going the right direction.
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 4:34:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/4/2013 6:44:14 PM EDT
[#10]
My 0.02c from personal experience, when we had the quakes here that tore our city (pop: 400,000) apart, I was in the middle of town had to hike out (Dressed in office attire I might add)

Immediately after the world stopped going sideways and buildings stopped falling over, the place became a stack more sociable than before, everyone was equally affected, which was literally a conversation point - and everyones priority was more or less the same - get out, get home.

I guess the immediate effect was akin to what media portrays a EMP, cars were all dead stationary(gridlock) no power, phone networks down, no water, no traffic lights, etc.

So getting home was nothing more than a decent hike, I had a bottle of gatorade in my pack, which I ended up sharing with a few folks along the way, ended up averaging 4mph.

It wasn't until about three days later when things started to get interesting as far as things like looters(They stole my motorbike!) and people stealing the generators that were running the cell towers and telco cabinets - if you think it's scary duriing the day, just wait until it's a dark, moonless night in a city with no power.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 4:35:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Something to ponder and perhaps a more common/realistic scenario: consider that if it's NOT an emp event but some other form of SHFT and vehicles are running. Your vehicle may become disabled through any number of murphy events... flat tire, out of gas because stations were closed, traffic accident while getting out of dodge (very possible if there is panic).

Perhaps having something of value (cash or otherwise) to trade someone for a lift home or closer to home might be in order as well. I am thinking gray-man...I will be armed, but they wont know it unless they are less than honorable.

SHTF comes in many flavors, not just the exotic, apocalyptic novel types.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:07:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My 0.02c from personal experience, when we had the quakes here that tore our city (pop: 400,000) apart, I was in the middle of town had to hike out (Dressed in office attire I might add)

Immediately after the world stopped going sideways and buildings stopped falling over, the place became a stack more sociable than before, everyone was equally affected, which was literally a conversation point - and everyones priority was more or less the same - get out, get home.

I guess the immediate effect was akin to what media portrays a EMP, cars were all dead stationary(gridlock) no power, phone networks down, no water, no traffic lights, etc.

So getting home was nothing more than a decent hike, I had a bottle of gatorade in my pack, which I ended up sharing with a few folks along the way, ended up averaging 4mph.

It wasn't until about three days later when things started to get interesting as far as things like looters(They stole my motorbike!) and people stealing the generators that were running the cell towers and telco cabinets - if you think it's scary duriing the day, just wait until it's a dark, moonless night in a city with no power.

Interesting post. Something like this is pretty much the only major natural disaster scenario that'd be likely in my area (pretty earthquake prone here in Oregon). I think folks would react similarly to how they did in NZ, certainly wouldn't expect instant Mad Max.

How did the bridges fare in your area? That's the main thing I'd be concerned about around here if there was a massive earthquake. A few downed bridges would shut down traffic and make it very difficult for me to get home.

I live and work in the country, but if I got caught in town when the Big One hit and couldn't drive back I'd have to walk roughly 20 miles. I just got back from an 8.4 mile hike (according to my GPS) along logging roads in steep terrain (~1300 foot elevation gain from lowest to highest point, with a fair bit of up and down). Average moving speed was 3.2 mph with a light pack. Of course, like a dumbass, I forgot my first aid kit and started developing blisters (new boots); wasn't too bad, but another 10 miles of that and I'd really be missing the moleskin.

As for the OP, walking home 10 miles on flat land is an easy walk, as long as you have decent boots and are moderately fit. If I had to hoof it back home, I'd just walk along the road. The only RR tracks that go anywhere near my home run parallel to the highway, so there wouldn't be any reason to follow them (except to cross rivers if the RR bridge is intact). Besides, as others have said, walking on RR tracks is a PITA. I'd follow the big powerline right-of-way that runs a mile or so from my home before I walked along a RR, though it doesn't exactly follow the path of least resistance (cut straight through the mountains around here, so terrain is steep) and there are no bridges across rivers.

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Interesting post. Something like this is pretty much the only major natural disaster scenario that'd be likely in my area (pretty earthquake prone here in Oregon). I think folks would react similarly to how they did in NZ, certainly wouldn't expect instant Mad Max.

How did the bridges fare in your area? That's the main thing I'd be concerned about around here if there was a massive earthquake. A few downed bridges would shut down traffic and make it very difficult for me to get home.

I live and work in the country, but if I got caught in town when the Big One hit and couldn't drive back I'd have to walk roughly 20 miles. I just got back from an 8.4 mile hike (according to my GPS) along logging roads in steep terrain (~1300 foot elevation gain from lowest to highest point, with a fair bit of up and down). Average moving speed was 3.2 mph with a light pack. Of course, like a dumbass, I forgot my first aid kit and started developing blisters (new boots); wasn't too bad, but another 10 miles of that and I'd really be missing the moleskin.

As for the OP, walking home 10 miles on flat land is an easy walk, as long as you have decent boots and are moderately fit. If I had to hoof it back home, I'd just walk along the road. The only RR tracks that go anywhere near my home run parallel to the highway, so there wouldn't be any reason to follow them (except to cross rivers if the RR bridge is intact). Besides, as others have said, walking on RR tracks is a PITA. I'd follow the big powerline right-of-way that runs a mile or so from my home before I walked along a RR, though it doesn't exactly follow the path of least resistance (cut straight through the mountains around here, so terrain is steep) and there are no bridges across rivers.

Link Posted: 2/5/2013 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#14]

A couple of comments.

EMP is not what it's cracked up to be. Power grids could have some problems, cars... probably not. The ONLY thing that has enough power to really screw things up is extra-solar space-originating events. Not even a solar flare could do it. Gamma ray burst, new neutron star in the neighborhood... sure.  Read my sig for a link to a report on the subject of EMP and vehicles. It's simply not a big threat.

Walking on tracks sucks. Aside from the mentioned stuff, you gotta look DOWN to do it with any reasonable speed. That's not where I want to be looking. The only thing is they are usually very gentle grades so you can avoid hills, and they are rather direct. My route to my parents farm is efficient in a car, IF I am in a car. If not, I'd be looking to cut off miles and it just so happens a rail line goes there.

For the scope thing, get your vision corrected NOW. Most of the time, if you can see normally you are out of threat range for a while when you can see someone. If you can't, FIX YOUR EYES.  It makes me wonder though, how small a of a scope is there? Say, x4 magnification but pocket sized. Going to have to check Amazon.com.

A lot of rail lines have been converted to bike trails now.  Guess what, that means, you can DRIVE ON THEM. Don't forget you can do that too.

My main get home from work stuff is water, a few calories, and making sure I have good shoes available. I don't plan to walk though, that's a last resort. My office has enough stuff in it I can stay there several days without harm. Even has a shower. I'd stay there first.

Nobody can tell YOU what to do though.  Even other people in your area don't go to YOUR office and YOUR house.  Think things over, get on Google Maps and do stuff to give yourself OPTIONS.  Fitness, fix your eyes, stay hydrated, and tools and supplies you might need.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top