Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/9/2011 9:27:34 AM EDT
This year I'm hunting some public land that has some decent pressure, so I've been hiking about a mile back into the woods. I've never had to drag a deer this far and can't use an ATV due to it being public land.

So the thought I keep going over is can I realistily drag a deer a mile? 95% of the drag would be along an old logging road thats motly low scrub. I know I should get a deer cart but I don't really have the spare cash for one right now.

So my question is, am I kidding myself thinking I can drag one that far?

I figure worst case I half or quarter the deer and make a few trips I just don't want some game warden freaking out because I technically removed the head from part of the body sections or something stupid.

**Update Dec 24th**

Well thanks to everyone that told me it was more then possible, I kept hunting in the same area I was concerned about. I've been out most weeks since I posted but had no luck with shots I felt comfortable taking (too far for my old SKS). Today starts the last week of deer season here so it was getting close. I had this guy come down around 8:30am. I was glad to have praticed weak hand shooting since he approached from my right and I had no time to position for a right handed shot. So I swapped my rifle to my left hand and shot him at about 75-80 yards. Pulverised his heart and shattered his left sholder so he only stumbled about 25 yards and was done.

I'm guessing his weight field dressed to be maybe 100lbs. I could lift him into my car but barely. The drag ended up being about 1.2 miles and took me exactly 1.5 hours. It was some work but well worth it. I know he's not a trophy but I hunt for meat so a fridge full of deer is plenty of trophy for me I hog-tied his front legs and neck then looped the rope 3 times (3-10ft loops) then slung the 'harness' over my torso and just walk-dragged so it wasn't too bad, just kept running out of breath but my legs and arms aren't tired at all.

My dogs already feasted on him, I'll probally cook some up for the humans in the house tomorrow after the meat settles in the fridge for a day. Butchered him myself so he's already wrapped in neat little packages.

Link Posted: 11/9/2011 9:37:10 AM EDT
[#1]
you will be able to drag the deer out ––-deer over all drag pretty easily––-they are a realatively streamline body.
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#2]
It can be done just pace yourself. I might suggest getting a tarp to wrap it in as it makes dragging a little easier.
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 10:15:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree with the sled suggestion. Try dragging one 300 yards through heavy brush and small trees, it isn't so easy especially with all your gear on.

Link Posted: 11/9/2011 10:44:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would suggest getting some type of plastic sled to make it a lot easier.  

Something like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pelican-Snow-Trek-45/16933706 is what I am referring to.  This one is 25 bucks from Wal-Mart but you could probably find something even cheaper.  Dragging a deer a mile would be relatively easy with something like this.

I sorta looked into a sled or plastic sheet type sled, but the thing is there's basiclly no snow here so I would be dragging it across gravel so the advantage might be minimal, plus I's have to drag a sled with me every time I went out so I'd be looking at 2-3 miles of dragging an empty sled across rocks

I appericate the input so far, sounds like I was worried over nothing. I carry a 3/8" thick rope for field dressing in a tree and had planned to sorta hog-tie the front legs and neck then make some sorta drag harness with the rope. I also keep a large plastic sheet in my car that I can use to wrap the deer and try to drag it in that but I think it would just get ripped up when I go over rocks.

Next season I'll plan ahead a little better and have a backpackable wheeled cart for hunting this area.
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 10:52:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I've used Dead Sleds and Deer Sleigh-er roll up sleds for years, they hold up reasonably well and I've dragged deer upwards of 1 mile over sagebrush and Basalt they will last about three drags like that. Rolled up they fit in a standard wally-world orange gave vest sideways. I now have a SKED http://www.skedco.com/Civilianhttp:// and I Like it better for dragging , but it is a PITA to carry around. but I got it for FREE
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I agree with the sled suggestion. Try dragging one 300 yards through heavy brush and small trees, it isn't so easy especially with all your gear on.

And a nice rack on the deer getting hung up on anything and everything....

Ask me how I know!
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had really good luck with one of these...Deer Sleigh'r... this is a link to Cabela's

They went up a little in price so if that's a little steep, you might keep an eye out for the deals that come up on craigslist.
Even if you eventually get a cart, this Deer Sleigh'r still comes in very handy.  Dragging up steep ravines works better with this thing vs. the cart because you have to expend a whole lot more energy holding the cart from going back down the hill vs. the Sleigh'r.

Draggin' them that far just takes time.  Bring plenty of water and energy bars and you'll keep your body well fed for the effort.

I hunt public land almost exclusively.  No motorized anything allowed.

After a drag like that, the venison tastes that much sweeter.  I know this first hand.

Hopefully, you are fortnate enough to work your butt off gettin one out.  

ETA: takin' a call... someone steps in and suggests the deer sleigh'r ahead of me.
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 11:27:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Dress it out and carry
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 12:45:33 PM EDT
[#10]
It wouldnt be very smart to carry a deer, and its illegal. 1 mile isnt too bad if your in decent shape especially if it is road. Ive i had to drag one small buck 2 miles in very thick steep hilly area, it isnt so bad.
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 12:53:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It wouldnt be very smart to carry a deer, and its illegal. 1 mile isnt too bad if your in decent shape especially if it is road. Ive i had to drag one small buck 2 miles in very thick steep hilly area, it isnt so bad.

State laws vary.
Agreed.
I hunt in the national forest in Bath County, VA.  My drag is easily 1-1.5 miles depending on where I hunt and I've done it several times.  That length does take longer than you will first guess, but a lot of the effort varies by the size of the deer you take.
After a few years I rednecked a cart together from some old pushmower handles and some bike tires.  Cost me about $40 and made the drags a hell of a lot faster and easier!
If you don't have the skills (doesn't take much), buy one of these.  AWESOME PRICE on sale...

Link Posted: 11/9/2011 12:57:59 PM EDT
[#12]
The kid's last two deer weighed in @ 270 and 260 pounds (= biggest Bucks of Maine specimens).  The bucket on my John Deere 5300 does all the "dragging" around here.  I do make him drive it, hardass that I am.

Anything else would be uncivilized.

Sam

Link Posted: 11/9/2011 1:17:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I hunt public game land in KY and this is what I've been doing the last few years.  I walk in approx a mile as well.  I use a large ALICE pack lined with trash bags and a Dewalt Sawzall.  You can quarter out a deer in about 15 minutes and wrap it up in plastics and be on your way.  I don't drag them out anymore, I ruckem!!
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 1:26:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Get one of these.

$30.00

Lightweight, compact, easy to shoulder! OK, so you bagged Mr. Big Antlers in the boonies. Now you can transport your animal out with little effort.
•Rolls up like an archery quiver
• Unrolls in a jiffy to form a 24 x 72" pull Sled
•Made of tough, easy to clean plastic
• 3 tie-down straps and self-locking buckles
•Has hunter orange tether for pulling / dragging or use as a waist harness for hands-free transport
• Weighs 3 1/2 lbs., comes with carry bag and shoulder strap.

Link Posted: 11/9/2011 1:26:19 PM EDT
[#15]
illegal ? I don't hunt deer only hog but the last time I did it was gutted and carried out.
Way upstate NY.
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 1:59:12 PM EDT
[#16]
O.P. - I know you're short on cash right now but I would still highly recommend a game cart. You can stash it somewhere close to your vehicle or the trail, then go get it if you bag a deer. I have a couple of thoughts that might make a 1 mile drag easier.

1. At least get a sled. It will keep the f***ing antlers and head from getting stuck on every single log and scrub tree.

2. Have about a 5-6 foot long drag line to wrap it around your waist or shoulders, then lean into it.

3. If you can go back for it, leave your gun, pack, and misc gear at your stand and make a second trip.

4. Take off any extra layers before going. In SC I'm guessing it won't be much but you will be pulling hard for a long time and are going to break a sweat.

5. Go slow and pace yourself!!
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 1:54:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Make a travois, it makes life pretty easy and you're in a woods, there are all kinds of materials laying around to make one with, you just carry a rope long enough to secure it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 5:06:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
illegal ? I don't hunt deer only hog but the last time I did it was gutted and carried out.
Way upstate NY.

So you want to put a 150 lb deer over your shoulder, covering up most of your blaze Orange in the process and then hike through crowded public land?

Sounds like a recipie for getting shot to me.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 6:01:39 AM EDT
[#19]
1 mile is a LONG way to MOST people to drag a deer.  I am in great shape and it would still be no fun to drag one a mile.  Get one of the fold up sled devices or quarter it and pack it out (if legal).  Don't give yourself a heart attack.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 6:11:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Dragging a deer for any distance definitely qualifies as work.  It can be done, however.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 4:28:32 PM EDT
[#21]
lightweight plastic sled...works great especially when it's wet, snow, ice,or muddy.  

Keeps the carcass cleaner and from tearing hide.  If you're buddy hunting ...much easier.

wheeled dolly type carriers pretty good on trails with no obstructions.

I also keep at least 50 ft. of good rope on my pack in case the deer goes down in canyon or somewhere you gotta pull it out.

Hunting the deer/big game is definitely the easy part.

Everything after the kill is work but worth it.

Consider it very much an accomplishment that very few people are willing to do.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Gut the deer.  
Skin out all 4 legs below the knee/hock.  Cut through the joints and remove the lower leg/hooves.  Save a leg or two if you need to due to some regulation.
Tie the front leg skins together, same with the back.
Put the deer on like a backpack and hike out.

Dragging a deer a mile over rocky terrain will likely wear through the skin, and ruin meat as well if you don't rotate the wear areas.  If you're not a pansy you can do it, but there are much easier/better methods available.
Link Posted: 11/10/2011 6:59:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Do you have a wheelbarrow?  It's what I use and will transport over surprisingly rough terrain if you have the right tire pressure
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 2:16:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Gut the deer.  
Skin out all 4 legs below the knee/hock.  Cut through the joints and remove the lower leg/hooves.  Save a leg or two if you need to due to some regulation.

Dragging a deer a mile over rocky terrain will likely wear through the skin, and ruin meat as well if you don't rotate the wear areas.  If you're not a pansy you can do it, but there are much easier/better methods available.

You forgot one step.

Cover the deer with a blaze Orange cloth.  No head or antlers sticking out.

The op is hunting crowded public land.  Places like that are full of idiots that shoot at anything that moves.  You do not want to look like a deer walking through the woods.

Around here a mile drag will not wear through the hide.  Plenty of leaves on the ground.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 6:02:27 AM EDT
[#25]
I've found I can drag a deer a long distance if I have the right grip.  Just tying a rope around the antlers and pulling will wear you out fast.  I've found that a water ski handle works great and allows you to walk for a long distance.  Your grip will probably go before anything else so any help you can get in that area will really maximize your distance.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 6:16:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Op, you mention having to drag over gravel. Would a simple wheel barrow make the trip?
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 6:44:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Couple thoughts...

May seem obvious, but drag with the grain of the hair, not against it.  Deer can slide along pretty easily depending on terrain.

If the train is gravel, you may want to drag it through the grass alongside the trail, may be an easier pull if the greenery isn't super long and thick.

Take your time.  Not sure how old you are, but you don't want a heart attack ruining your day.

good luck!
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 6:46:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

State laws vary.

Agreed.

I hunt in the national forest in Bath County, VA.  My drag is easily 1-1.5 miles depending on where I hunt and I've done it several times.  That length does take longer than you will first guess, but a lot of the effort varies by the size of the deer you take.

After a few years I rednecked a cart together from some old pushmower handles and some bike tires.  Cost me about $40 and made the drags a hell of a lot faster and easier!

If you don't have the skills (doesn't take much), buy one of these.  AWESOME PRICE on sale...

Yes!  I did the same thing to make a one-man canoe trailer for myself.  Started with mountainbike wheels but eventually settled with BMX size wheels.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 10:15:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Hot Link

Plan B take a motorcycle tie down and use that to lift up one of the hind legs from  a cut between ligament and bone above the knee. Lift the deer as much as possible using a tree limb. Skin the deer do not open the internal cavaty after skinning you can remove the front two legs by cutting the connective tissue. Then remove both back strap start at hind legs make two cuts down the spine then circle cut top to bottom around from the spine to the rib cage and remove those. Place the meat in plastic garbage bags. Remove the two hind quarters place those in garbage bags.  Use a saw to cut the feet off above the elbow. If you want open the chest cavity and retrieve the tenderloins from against the backbone. There is no sense dragging out what you wont use. Worst case take the backstraps and two hind quarters and pack those out that is most of the meat. Go prepared to quarter it and pack it out.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 5:18:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Why would carrying a deer out be illegal? What difference does it make wether you drag it or lift it up and carry? That makes no sense to me at all. I plan on gutting and carrying mine out (should I get one).
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hot Link

Plan B take a motorcycle tie down and use that to lift up one of the hind legs from  a cut between ligament and bone above the knee. Lift the deer as much as possible using a tree limb. Skin the deer do not open the internal cavaty after skinning you can remove the front two legs by cutting the connective tissue. Then remove both back strap start at hind legs make two cuts down the spine then circle cut top to bottom around from the spine to the rib cage and remove those. Place the meat in plastic garbage bags. Remove the two hind quarters place those in garbage bags.  Use a saw to cut the feet off above the elbow. If you want open the chest cavity and retrieve the tenderloins from against the backbone. There is no sense dragging out what you wont use. Worst case take the backstraps and two hind quarters and pack those out that is most of the meat. Go prepared to quarter it and pack it out.

Depends a lot on state law.

Some states require everything but the guts to be taken out.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 5:26:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Why would carrying a deer out be illegal? What difference does it make wether you drag it or lift it up and carry? That makes no sense to me at all. I plan on gutting and carrying mine out (should I get one).

Because when you carry a deer out you look like a deer walking through the woods.  Idiot sees what they think is a deer and shoot you.  State passes law to protect you from yourself.

It's generally not a problem if you wrap the deer in blaze orange.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 5:30:52 PM EDT
[#33]
I just pulled one approximately 2500m or so back to the house.  It was an ass kicker but I got it done in stages.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because when you carry a deer out you look like a deer walking through the woods.  Idiot sees what they think is a deer and shoot you.  State passes law to protect you from yourself.

Well now that does make sense, thanks!
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 5:54:21 PM EDT
[#35]
http://www.deerhandle.com/

Greatest thing since sliced bread.

My longest drag was probably around 1.25-1.75 miles.  Whatever you do, don't drag them by the back legs.  Once killed a big doe at the base of a hill (was parked at the top).  Didn't have a drag rope (had only been hunting for five years, had driven right up to previous kills).  I was only about 400 yards from my truck, but it took three hours to drag that deer (around 125 lbs. dressed) up that hill.  Ended up using my bootlaces (broke one) and the string from the cuff of my pants.  Broke all those, cut down a small tree, wedged it behind the back leg tendons and pulling it backwards over the last 300 yards.

Link Posted: 11/11/2011 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Why not just quarter it up and pack it out. Make light trips back to get it instead of putting the extra stress on the old heart.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 8:57:11 PM EDT
[#37]
I have burnt all the hair off one side of a couple deer dragging them, Florida swamp hunting was the best, float em out.
Link Posted: 11/11/2011 9:50:22 PM EDT
[#38]
2 years ago a friend and I drug his 120 lb dress buck 3/4 of a mile. We took turns and it took an hour.

I shot one this year and it ran 150 yards toward the road and ended up 290 feet from my car

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 4:57:11 AM EDT
[#39]
The furthest we've had to drag a deer was about 2 miles out a few years back.  That was hard work.

That said, I've been thinking about ways to make it easier.  The easiest way I know is to use a chest harness like you would have for a tree stand and hook a D-ring to the back of it.  Take a rope with two loops on it, (1) through the d-ring, the other you loop around the shoulders and again around the rack to keep it up off the ground a bit (especially if you plan to mount it).  Start walking and it follows you.  The stress is off your arms/hands...and weight is transferred across your whole body and keeps your hands free for clearing brush as you walk out.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 5:00:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you ever tried to carry a shot or dressed animal the size of a deer?  I hope you enjoy bathing in blood.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 5:30:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you ever tried to carry a shot or dressed animal the size of a deer?  I hope you enjoy bathing in blood.

Was gonna use a game bag and a tarp?
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 5:57:09 AM EDT
[#42]
ahh that would work and should remove some of the danger
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 6:04:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
ahh that would work and should remove some of the danger

Yeah I didn't even think about that though. Another reason I this place!
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gut the deer.  

You forgot one step.

Cover the deer with a blaze Orange cloth.  No head or antlers sticking out.

The op is hunting crowded public land.  Places like that are full of idiots that shoot at anything that moves.  You do not want to look like a deer walking through the woods.

Around here a mile drag will not wear through the hide.  Plenty of leaves on the ground.

Meh.  I don't hunt with the commoners.

Seriously, if I was that worried about getting shot while moving a deer, I wouldn't hunt there at all.

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've carried a couple out like a backpack, and while I would agree that I got some blood on me, and I wouldn't exactly want to show up for a first date immediately afterwards, I think bathing is a little dramatic.

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 12:27:53 PM EDT
[#46]
YMMV I have gotten soaked, and also found it harder to do than dragging them
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
YMMV I have gotten soaked, and also found it harder to do than dragging them

How heavy?

Deer here don't get that big so I was like, wrap it, sling it, easy day...

But I haven't done it yet either.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 2:08:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The kid's last two deer weighed in @ 270 and 260 pounds (= biggest Bucks of Maine specimens).  The bucket on my John Deere 5300 does all the "dragging" around here.  I do make him drive it, hardass that I am.

Anything else would be uncivilized.

Sam

Dressed?!

Link Posted: 11/12/2011 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#49]
One of the properties I hunt has no vehicle access into the interior of the property. You park in the ditch at the road and walk to where ever you atre going. The first deer I shot on it was a doe and I had to drag her out by myself about 500 yards. I decided that day I would not ever drop the hammer on another if I was not going to mount it. With that drag it had better be worth it. I've drug 4 out since then.
 You can drag a deer a long way. All you need is time and determination.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 5:08:15 AM EDT
[#50]
You might want to look into one of these.  It will let you put more of your body to work dragging it, but the key is still taking breaks so you don't tire yourself out before you get to your vehicle.  It is also nice that it leaves your hands free for other things - carrying gear, catching yourself if you stumble, hydrating, etc.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top