Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:58:08 AM EDT
[#1]
They are the AK of the motorcycle world.  Indestructable, crude [except for some of the newer ones] always work, not quite as customizable as a BMW but for the lower cost of entry it balances..
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:42:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Local dealer was advertizing 2011 KLR 650's for $4400 in yesterdays paper.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:02:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am seriously considering buying a dual sport. I have only rode a few motorcycles in my life and want a very mild bike to start out with. It will never see rugged terrain, but occasionally some rough ground.

I weigh 275 so it has to be able to drag me around and still have torque to spare. It will never need to go real fast. I had looked at the Kawasaki 650, but I would love to get some recommendations from the folks here.

This machine would be for running around the farm for keeping an eye on things and a fuel efficient way to get to the neighbors.

I am 6-01 265 and I ride this thing all day long.  was looking for a klr when this popped up in a deal I could not pass up.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:05:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am seriously considering buying a dual sport. I have only rode a few motorcycles in my life and want a very mild bike to start out with. It will never see rugged terrain, but occasionally some rough ground.

I weigh 275 so it has to be able to drag me around and still have torque to spare. It will never need to go real fast. I had looked at the Kawasaki 650, but I would love to get some recommendations from the folks here.

This machine would be for running around the farm for keeping an eye on things and a fuel efficient way to get to the neighbors.

I am 6-01 265 and I ride this thing all day long.  was looking for a klr when this popped up in a deal I could not pass up.  
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll52/K9SHAG/IMG_1189.jpg

What is it? I can't read the numbers and I know nothing about bikes.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:11:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll52/K9SHAG/IMG_1189.jpg

What is it? I can't read the numbers and I know nothing about bikes.

2003 Honda XR650L not necessarily better or worse than a KLR650.  The motor is bulletproof just like the Kawi it has a smaller tank  (can be changed) The newer KLR have much more of a sporty appearance versus the traditional dirt bike look.  I would also jump on a KLR if the deal was a good one.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:22:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This pic posted earlier in the topic... this is kind of like what I would envision myself riding on. They handle well in areas like this?  The property where i drive is mostly grassy hills that aren't too rugged, just a bit steep at times. Another thing, could this handle about 25-50 lbs of spare gear on it?  I'll weigh 190 by the time i get one, so I don't know how that'll factor in.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/Mackayjun10021.jpg

Ed,

I took that pic. The KLR handles two track roads like this like it was blacktop. It will handle single track cow paths and hills with ease. That and much, much tougher terrain. I have owned bikes for 25 years and the KLR is what I should have been riding for the last 20.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Well,  i forgot to mention my needs of a bike have changed. More than anything, i'd like a cheap way to get around.  Maybe a commuter in the summer if at all possible.  I'd like to be able to haul some things for camping trips as well.  I'm a lightweight backpacker, so my pack weight is around 15 or so lbs depending on the season.  I'll NEVER need to haul more than 50 lbs.  

Anyway, i still want my bike to be capable to handle rough areas as I'd like to take it out to areas like above.  KLR is still the way to go?  I'm definitely getting one,  probably one of the newer models  and i'll add on to it.

Another thing,  I was looking at the 1200 BMW Adventure and really wanting one.  No, I can't afford one, but I wonder how well that thing handles as far as road/offroad and how much weight one of those could haul.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:42:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Lost,
How is the action packer secured?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

there are some guys that are over your weight that ride the KLR with no problem, and plenty of guys taking their wives, girlfrinds or whoever on the back and going way over your weight.

you'll loose some acceleration and some top end. the suspension needs help, because stock it's set up for about a #150 rider and very under sprung. cost for improving that will usually vary from $75 for just new front springs to about $300 for the Ricor Intiminators if they're not still running the special they had where they were half price for a while.

if you decide the back needs more, a new spring can be had for about $50 and a complete aftermarket shock gets spendy. about $450 for a Moab and the Ricor is a little more.

if you want a dual sport, determine if the KLR is right for you will probably depend a lot on your inseam. i have a 36" inseam, so it's no problem for me. there are guys with 32" inseams who ride it, it just takes a little more work to avoid stopping over a low spot.

lowering links are available, but they make the rear suspension "weaker" in that they reduce the mechanical advantage of the spring and reduce the travel of the suspension.

some people modify the seat, using carpet padding to replace some of the foam and shave the seat down to lower the seat.

the DR 650 is a smaller bike, much lower, but some say it's a little cramped for long rides on the highway.

for "running around the farm" the TW 250 might be worth considering. it's got FAT tires front and rear. not quite as fat as the ATV tires on the Rokon, but fat enough that they're very sticky even on looser surfaces. it's fairly short and easy to ride, but not what i'd want to take on the highway.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Lost,

the rear rack has a plastic panel that's bolted to the aluminum rack frame.

just drill the action packer, pelican case, NVG case or whatever to match the pattern and run some longer bolts with fender washers thru the holes. don't forget to use blue loctite on EVERYTHING on single cylinder bikes. they're called "thumpers" for a reason!
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

there are some guys that are over your weight that ride the KLR with no problem, and plenty of guys taking their wives, girlfrinds or whoever on the back and going way over your weight.

you'll loose some acceleration and some top end. the suspension needs help, because stock it's set up for about a #150 rider and very under sprung. cost for improving that will usually vary from $75 for just new front springs to about $300 for the Ricor Intiminators if they're not still running the special they had where they were half price for a while.

if you decide the back needs more, a new spring can be had for about $50 and a complete aftermarket shock gets spendy. about $450 for a Moab and the Ricor is a little more.

if you want a dual sport, determine if the KLR is right for you will probably depend a lot on your inseam. i have a 36" inseam, so it's no problem for me. there are guys with 32" inseams who ride it, it just takes a little more work to avoid stopping over a low spot.

lowering links are available, but they make the rear suspension "weaker" in that they reduce the mechanical advantage of the spring and reduce the travel of the suspension.

some people modify the seat, using carpet padding to replace some of the foam and shave the seat down to lower the seat.

the DR 650 is a smaller bike, much lower, but some say it's a little cramped for long rides on the highway.

for "running around the farm" the TW 250 might be worth considering. it's got FAT tires front and rear. not quite as fat as the ATV tires on the Rokon, but fat enough that they're very sticky even on looser surfaces. it's fairly short and easy to ride, but not what i'd want to take on the highway.

I will be riding this machine to my sisters a lot paved roads. 18 miles every time I go to work out. Probably 90% of its time will be on roads. I wish I lived closer to folks who have bikes I could sit on to get a feel for.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:40:20 PM EDT
[#12]
My vote is XR650l.  KLR is a fine bike too.  DR650 is also great.  Buying season for motorcycles is now.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:51:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I have an 09 klr650 and i think it is a great bike with a few mods.  Wanna know how to make it feel about 100lbs lighter, crawl down a trail, and cruise lazily at highway speeds.  Easy, a Rekluse Clutch, a left hand rear break, and a 16 tooth drive sprocket.

If you are not thinking about slipping the clutch you can concentrate on picking lines and balance and weight distribution.  The clutch allows you crawl to a stop (event with the 16 tooth sprocket) without ever killing it and dropping it.  The left hand rear brake allows you to finesse the beast down steep trails.  And the 16 tooth sprocket allows you to cruise at highway speeds without raping it out and vibrating the piss out of the bike.  It even burns less oil when cruised at the lower RPMs the big front sprocket allows.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Lost,

Similar to what Fixer had discussed.

My rear rack is not stock. It is larger and aluminum. I ran 4 bolts through the bottom of the action packer, with rubber washers and secured with eye bolts so I could easily remove it without tools if needed.

It has been on some super rough trails and never loosened up yet, though I do check it usually after rough rides. It may not be "sexy cool" but it has been super practical. One practical advantage to the size is that when I ride into town from where I live, it is big enough that I can lock my helmet inside.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#16]
not to make an empty grave-dig of a post, but I just found a 2008 KLR 650 for $3400 and an '03 for $2000, both in my general AO.   And I've got the money burning a whole in my pocket.  
But I don't have a current license / permit, a decent helmet, or any medical insurance right now.  At best I'd buy it and trailer it home and hug it and pet it and call it George.

I have to read up / discover what the faults of the newer versions are (if any), that '03 really seems like too good of a deal to pass up.
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 8:20:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
not to make an empty grave-dig of a post, but I just found a 2008 KLR 650 for $3400 and an '03 for $2000, both in my general AO.   And I've got the money burning a whole in my pocket.  
But I don't have a current license / permit, a decent helmet, or any medical insurance right now.  At best I'd buy it and trailer it home and hug it and pet it and call it George.

I have to read up / discover what the faults of the newer versions are (if any), that '03 really seems like too good of a deal to pass up.

seems like a decent price on the '03, but a lot depends on the condition it's in, the miles it has on it, and if that includes and goodies or damage. i prefer the older models, so i'd buy the '03 before the '08.

in most of CA you can ride year round, so there's really no "off" season for bikes, thus the price will stay fairly steady all year round.

you'll want to hunt for a helmet that fits well. different people have different size and shape heads, and i've tried some brands that just don't fit. Scoprion, Shoei and HJC fit my noggin best. i have a HJC MX helmet for dirt or around town, and i have a full face Scoption that i just got to replace my aging Shoei. the Scorp seemed like a really good value for the price.

IIRC, CA lets you ride on surface streets during the day with the permit. no freeways and no riding at night. a MSF course is hightly recommended and will get you a break on your insurance.

of you're in So Cal, you can probably find a KLR Tech Day to learn a lot about the bike and do any wrenching that needs to be done.
Link Posted: 2/23/2011 11:35:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the info. Been about 18yrs since I last rode with any frequency, it was a then-old Honda 500XLR.
I've got a few KLR650.net topics bookmarked, need to go do some more thorough reading on the year ranges.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 5:42:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Is there any reason not to get a post 08' KLR?
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd go with any KLR 2001-2007 or 2009 and later.  I own a 2001 and a 2008.  Having excluded the 2008s, if you're willing to drop the coin, you can put a 685 kit into the 2008s, increase their horsepower, and eliminate that year model's oil burning tendencies.
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 2:30:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I picked this 2006 KLR up from another member earlier this year.  Before I got this, I hadn't ridden in almost 20 years.  The last bike I owned was a vintage HD.  This was totally new to me and it was like I'd almost never ridden before.  After putting a couple hundred miles on it, the groove is back.  I unstapled the seat cover and carved out some of the foam in the seat to lower the profile a tiny bit and get my feet fully on the ground.  I then restapled it and am good to go.  If all goes well, I'm going to do the "doohickey" conversion tomorrow and I'm really leaning towards one of the military style extended range tanks.  

My observations on the KLR 650 is that the center of gravity feels a bit high but it handles well and I'm getting around 52.5 mpg.   The factory seat profile SUCKS.  As I said, I cut my to suit.  It vibrates on the road a bit but nothing bad.  It's a pack mule of a bike and very reliable.  Parts are everywhere and you could do a LOT worse.

Link Posted: 6/4/2011 3:43:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I think the local dealer has one of these in stock. I might have to get my butt over there and check it out.  The brand new ones okay?
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 6:41:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I went to the dealership to buy a KLR and came home with this instead.

Comparing used bikes of the similar age and mileage, I got EFI, ABS and heated grips for about $1000 more.  I ride about 80/20 blacktop and gravel with little or no off road riding.  I felt the Beemer fit my situation much better.  Can't go wrong with either one IMHO.

Link Posted: 6/5/2011 5:19:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Well I just bought a 2011 KLR on Friday.  Sadly I won't have time to pick it up till later this week.

I am pretty excited. Is it tall? Heck yes, and I am 5'-9.5". But I think the suspension will settle some and if I need it I will lower the seat.

For me it is a go anywhere(I would go), do all bike. Plus great gas mileage and enough umph to hit the highway if need be.

For a bug out option, I am not looking this direction. However if I was I would know that this bike could cut lanes go around stopped traffic and handle any road out there. You are gonna go 200 miles on a tank and it is easy to work on, including changing the tires on the side of the road.

It is not a true dirt bike, thank goodness. If I need a highly specialized bike I would get some sort of dirt bike. But in my version of SHTF I try to avoid highly specialized.
Link Posted: 6/7/2011 2:29:22 AM EDT
[#25]
You guys make me want to spend money.  And burn time on the internet looking up info, other forums, and videos/pics of the stuff y'all post.

Great looking bikes.  I saw a CL listing for a 2005 KLR. For some reason I think I "need" it now.

nct
Link Posted: 6/7/2011 5:40:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Here is a video of a good example of a klr in action in a possible SHTF scenario. I would leave the volume down as the wind noise is irritating.

let me try this...

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/62Smj0K5OZZ0bJeM4fcWOru9AngEvCtpoPQORiVozf4?feat=email

ETA: This is not me, but is a real world example of roads being destroyed by flooding but yet still doable with the right kind of motorcycle.
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 4:50:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I looked at one of these today. They started out with what they said was MSRP of about $6200. They are going to get with the finance guys and talk about my interest rates and give me a final price. I am guessing they will only come down a couple hundred.

This KLR has a small cowling on the front, which I kind of like since it will be mostly a road bike.

Is $6,000 a relatively good price?

Kawasaki KLR 2011
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 7:35:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I looked at one of these today. They started out with what they said was MSRP of about $6200. They are going to get with the finance guys and talk about my interest rates and give me a final price. I am guessing they will only come down a couple hundred.

This KLR has a small cowling on the front, which I kind of like since it will be mostly a road bike.

http://www.kawasaki.com/FusePlayerAPI/GetScaledImage.aspx?maxw=640&maxh=480&img=~/CMS/Products/ActionShots/8c15e3ef-82e5-416e-bc6c-0b52d28e163b.jpg

Kawasaki KLR 2011

Unless you HAVE to have a brand new bike, or HAVE to finance, I would buy a used pre-'08 model.

Page 1 and 2 are full of tons of info as to why
Link Posted: 6/26/2011 4:43:25 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Here is a video of a good example of a klr in action in a possible SHTF scenario. I would leave the volume down as the wind noise is irritating.

let me try this...

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/62Smj0K5OZZ0bJeM4fcWOru9AngEvCtpoPQORiVozf4?feat=email

ETA: This is not me, but is a real world example of roads being destroyed by flooding but yet still doable with the right kind of motorcycle.

Cool video.

Link Posted: 6/26/2011 6:16:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.kawasaki.com/FusePlayerAPI/GetScaledImage.aspx?maxw=640&maxh=480&img=~/CMS/Products/ActionShots/8c15e3ef-82e5-416e-bc6c-0b52d28e163b.jpg

Kawasaki KLR 2011

Unless you HAVE to have a brand new bike, or HAVE to finance, I would buy a used pre-'08 model.

If I am buying, I am buying new. I can afford it and I hate buying other peoples problems. BTDT
Link Posted: 6/26/2011 10:10:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Kawasaki KLR 2011

If I am buying, I am buying new. I can afford it and I hate buying other peoples problems. BTDT

The reason he suggested a pre 08 is because parts availability
Link Posted: 6/26/2011 10:11:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Kawasaki KLR 2011

The thing is, the new ones aren't the same as the old ones.  I've read a lot of problems with '08's burning oil.  I think they fixed that on the more recent models though.  The new design is heavier than the old one, something to keep in mind if you want a more off road oriented bike.  At the same time, people who want a more street oriented bike with some off road capability seem to like the ergos better on the new KLR's.

Link Posted: 6/26/2011 10:17:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Kawasaki KLR 2011

The thing is, the new ones aren't the same as the old ones.  I've read a lot of problems with '08's burning oil.  I think they fixed that on the more recent models though.  The new design is heavier than the old one, something to keep in mind if you want a more off road oriented bike.  At the same time, people who want a more street oriented bike with some off road capability seem to like the ergos better on the new KLR's.

The part in red is where I am at. I don't want a sporty bike. I want something tame that can handle highway speed just fine. This bike will never see a mountain or rock climbing. It's just a bike to get back and forth to working out and running around for fun. Nothing special.
Link Posted: 6/26/2011 10:50:49 AM EDT
[#34]
So if you are 5'7" you can not ride one of these?  
Link Posted: 6/26/2011 12:30:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

if your inseam is 32" or less the KLR 650 will be a challenge.

while you can reupholster the seat, or modify the sispension a Suzuki DR 650 may be a better option for the shorter people.

if you change the shock or install lowering links you're reducing the amount of travel in the rear suspension.
Link Posted: 6/26/2011 12:47:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Kawasaki KLR 2011

some used bikes will be as stock as the day they shipped. others will have good mods and some will have useless crap, have been abused or have poorly chosen mods.

bying a used vehicle is much like buying a used gun, or dating someone who's not a virgin. you can get a great deal, or a nightbare. chose wisely and know what you're looking at.

odds are that most used bikes will not have huge problems, but it's very common to have to go thru the whole bike, new or used and fix things that Kawi still doesn't have right. even a new bike isn't a guarantee that it will be "problem free" and the warranty ain't worth much when the stealership doesn't seem to know how to do something as simple as adjusting the valves. (known problem.. they tend to charge for valve adjustments but RARELY do them. ask what your clearances were before and after the adjustemnt and see the response. some people have put paint or tape over the valve cover gasket and found it intact after the "service".

i've purchased KLR 650s for under $1,000. i enjoy wrenching on them and basically end up tearing them apart and reassombling them from end to end... just not all at once.

the new '08+ bikes have some nice upgrades, but the new plastic on the sides of the tanks does not hold up well when you drop it. i've seen one or two late model bikes with IMS aftermarket tanks, but it's MUCH easier to upt the rally tank on the early bikes.

an early bike with a late model fairing and a rally tank, Ricor Intiminators in the forks and one of the good aftermarket shocks, PLUS all the usual mods, new subframe bolts, upgraded bash plate, upgraded doohickey, tweaked carb, etc. would be a good setup.

if you want to spend 3 to 6 times the price for a new vehicle ... it's your money. the aftermarket upgrades will still be a very good idea and those parts will still cost the same.  buying the used vehicle just leaves you with more budget for the extra goodies.
Link Posted: 6/26/2011 1:07:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

let me try this...

cool video, but it's not playing smoothly for me.

however, it's hardly taking the abilities of the KLR and i've ridden worse roads on a sport/touring street motorcycle with full fairings and no knobbies, both intentionally and in a real post-SHTF scenario. (after the quake in '89 some of the roads were too messed up for low passenger cars to pass, they didn't have enough clearance. this was on a major freeway in the SF bay area. sorry, no pix. it WAS before digital cameras and i didn't make it a habit to haul the 35mm around for EDC)

the KLR has more suspension to soak things up (especially if you upgrade it), lots of gas, is comfortable and won't care if it gets dropped. not so good for all day on the highway when you're tryingt o put miles behind you... but an absolute blast for running around town, short commutes, errands and just farting around on back roads or no road at all.
Link Posted: 6/26/2011 4:31:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

if your inseam is 32" or less the KLR 650 will be a challenge.

while you can reupholster the seat, or modify the sispension a Suzuki DR 650 may be a better option for the shorter people.

if you change the shock or install lowering links you're reducing the amount of travel in the rear suspension.

Thank you for the info.   The Suzuki looks like a decent bike.  I may have to go check one out.    

Anyone else know any other dual sport bikes for shorter riders?
Link Posted: 6/26/2011 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#39]
I've got a 2001 and a 2008 and actually usually find myself riding the 2008 more.  Its a little heavier but feels a lot more stable on the highway.  Both bikes have front suspension upgrades (progressive springs and racetech emulators) and the 2008 has a rear shock upgrade.  I've done the $.22 mod and the Doo on both and have a Thermo-Bob thermal bypass on the 2001.
Link Posted: 6/26/2011 8:32:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Thank you for the info.   The Suzuki looks like a decent bike.  I may have to go check one out.    

Anyone else know any other dual sport bikes for shorter riders?

you may want to check out a dual sport site that's not brand or model specific. i'd suggest www.advrider.com

the general opinion from most people on the DR650 seems to be that it's a great bike, but a bit cramped for long hours on the freeway. however, it's gonna be more friendly off pavement.

the other option is a Honda XR 650 otherwise known as "the big red pig" but it's still small next to a KLR. the XR is more dirt oriented than the DR or the KLR... but they can all be tweaked one way or the other by how you set them up. the DR is usually considered a 50/50 machine and the KLR starts out as a more street than dirt machine.

other than theat, you'll be getting into euro bikes with much higher price tags, discontinued models that will be harder to find parts for or smaller bikes that may be fine for around town and back roads, but probably won't have enough guts for use on the freeway.

back to the DR for a second... you want to look at the DR650SE which is anything from '96 or later. the pre SE model doesn't share many parts with the later model and will be harder to find parts for since it was only made for 4 or 6 years before they switched to the SE.
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 11:13:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/28/2011 11:45:41 AM EDT
[#42]
the dealer here has them in red for $5500 new.

Quoted:

Kawasaki KLR 2011

Link Posted: 6/28/2011 11:55:56 AM EDT
[#43]
That vid looks just like here did after Hurricane Isabelle years ago.

Quoted:

Quoted:

let me try this...

cool video, but it's not playing smoothly for me.

however, it's hardly taking the abilities of the KLR and i've ridden worse roads on a sport/touring street motorcycle with full fairings and no knobbies, both intentionally and in a real post-SHTF scenario. (after the quake in '89 some of the roads were too messed up for low passenger cars to pass, they didn't have enough clearance. this was on a major freeway in the SF bay area. sorry, no pix. it WAS before digital cameras and i didn't make it a habit to haul the 35mm around for EDC)

the KLR has more suspension to soak things up (especially if you upgrade it), lots of gas, is comfortable and won't care if it gets dropped. not so good for all day on the highway when you're tryingt o put miles behind you... but an absolute blast for running around town, short commutes, errands and just farting around on back roads or no road at all.

Link Posted: 6/28/2011 3:21:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Bought a 08' new and sold it.  Fun bike, but not really ideal for a family SHTF bug out vehicle.  Not the greatest on or off road, didnt really fill a niche for me.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
the dealer here has them in red for $5500 new.
Quoted:

Kawasaki KLR 2011

I have been BS'ing with a local dealer. After their setup and other BS I think he had $6400 or something close on the tag.

After haggling, I think he is pretty well bottomed out at $5575. He is willing to lose the sale before going any cheaper anyway. Also have him making some good prices on some accessories.

I am trying to decide whether I want to do that, or save a couple grand and buy one with no warranty and maybe 2500-7500 miles and buy a used one. But I am pretty sure I want an 09 or later.

I doubt I will ever go so far as to upgrade suspension, unless my wife ends up deciding she wants to ride with me, which I am not really wanting to do either. So, I prefer the upgrades of the 08 and later.

From my research, the only mods I will do are the "doo-hickey" and the thermo bob. After that, I am thinking I will bolt my Storm case on the luggage rack and try to find a good deal on some soft bags on the side.

I think this will accommodate what I need to do. That is, daily commute to work (~25 miles each way on two lane 55 mph highway) and occasional exploration and maybe a little pre season scouting.

I am trying to decide. If I could find a real nice 09-2010 one owner that has been taken care of for about $3k I would jump, otherwise I am going to see if I can get this dealer to deal a little more and go new.
Link Posted: 7/3/2011 7:09:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Kawasaki KLR 2011

The part in red is where I am at. I don't want a sporty bike. I want something tame that can handle highway speed just fine. This bike will never see a mountain or rock climbing. It's just a bike to get back and forth to working out and running around for fun. Nothing special.

Vibrations are high above 70, bike rides good though as long as you don't have much crosswind.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top